• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was having an off day today, I think the rain had something to do with it. On my final stop I was flipping through $12 Lewin shirts, $125 PRL SC's, and $335 dollar Burberrys jackets when I came across this...

It feels like tweed, it has split vents, and is in pretty good condition. The only problem is the lining on one of the vents is coming up a little. Looks like an easy thread job.

Does it have patch pockets? Is it a regular sportcoat or more of a hunting / shooting coat? Size?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh... okay. These don't have size tags in them so I'm wondering if they're MTM

well you said half of it right there... Astor & Black claims to be a bespoke clothier when in fact they are not even decent MTM.... there is plenty to be read on these points... just search the forum

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be interested in pics and measurements at least... the navy sounds nice

Same here! Hoping its a 42L ;)

Maybe I'll grab them at least to get measurements and a couple of photos. This joint allows returns, so taking them back if no one is interested should be no problem. Starting to see a little uptick in the quality of stuff in the thrifts lately, so I'm stopping in more often and hoping that I can find something really nice soon, maybe even in my size!

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measurements:
Shoulders around 20"
The chest 21-21.5"
Sleeves 25" with a little room
Length 31"

Its marked on the inside as an SC looks like a shooting jacket, the color is awesome!

Additional closeups.

AT GRENDEL TOO

Same here! Hoping its a 42L
wink.gif

Shiny

Reaction score
Passed on a Brioni suit for a giant man. I would say it was a 54R US(!). I think the same guy donated a pair of light gray orphan Kiton pants. Not really confident that such a big suit would move on the bay, but what do I know.

Was intrigued by a canvassed tailored by Tom James gray suit. It was a little big for me, but the construction was great. The tag said something like “file de mano”. It was a 3 piece, too. If it was my size, I would have bit.

Passed on 2 zegna ties. They seemed to have the artistic quality of Jos A banks’ finest offerings. However, I did pick up the one below. It has raised stitching and a blue undercurrent that seems to suggest perfect diagonal staining.

Picked up the following shirt that I may want to trade. Fits my neck fine, but the waist is a little roomy for me. Measuring it around the waist area is almost 26” (back side). It's like blue mini gingham. French cuffs, too.

Finally, did spot a Dolce gabana dark blue tie with a subtle pattern at Marshalls. It was clearanced @ $59. If you guys look for these, just grab the ties by the handful and the premium ones have that thick security tag attached to them. I’m so used to $3 ties @ goodwill that I’ll probably pass on these unless I hit the lottery.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Passed on a Brioni suit for a giant man. I would say it was a 54R US(!). I think the same guy donated a pair of light gray orphan Kiton pants. Not really confident that such a big suit would move on the bay, but what do I know.
I've recently had pretty good luck with larger sizes, 52 & 54, but if it was in decent condition and thrift store cheap under $20 you can't really go wrong imo

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've recently had pretty good luck with larger sizes, 52 & 54, but if it was in decent condition and thrift store cheap under $20 you can't really go wrong imo

How about t-rex suits? I passed on a 42L today that the sleeves fit me a little short but the coat came down to mid-thigh, and I have a long torso.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I go away for a few days and come back to 800 posts. Holy moley, you guys are busy.

For a minute I thought all the good stuff was gone, and then today hit the mother lode. (I will edit in pictures when I have proper light)

today I found:

Leather Bound King James Bible inscribed "... Jan. 1 1865" Upon seeing the date I hoped it was a Union soldiers bible, but upon reviewing the inscription it is nice but not as stupendous of a find as a soldiers bible. This one was a reward for having committed a portion of scripture to memory. -- 12$, probably more than it's actual 'value' but a very cool thing to find.

A complete, and apparently un-used Polaroid Impulse kit. It's a remarkable instant camera, and it came with 5 filters, a ton of polaroid ephemera, and 30 exposures (which are sadly of no use, as they expired in the 90's)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you guys look for these, just grab the ties by the handful and the premium ones have that thick security tag attached to them.

Excellent trick, I just figured this out after I overheard the cashiers talking about my Marinella.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Excellent trick, I just figured this out after I overheard the cashiers talking about my Marinella.

Not sure I'm understanding.. You'll be able to tell which are the good ties because of the security tag?? That means that Marshalls also know which is a good tie. This has implications.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Quote:

Not sure I'm understanding.. You'll be able to tell which are the good ties because of the security tag?? That means that Marshalls also know which is a good tie. This has implications.

Rather than sifting through the pile looking at labels, take a handful and feel for the giant hard 2 piece sensor. These are the ones that come from Wilkes and they regard as "better".

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, today I found:
Dunhill made in England linen shirt, spread collar and french cuffs, very cool
Ghirardelli linen shirt
Brooks brothers vintage 3/2 tweed sack jacket
Cable car clothiers 3/2 tan sack jacket
Polo RL made in italy dark brown wool pants, flat front 34 (FS if anybody is interested, 37 bucks shipped)
Wah Maker western style wool overcoat
RRL western style bib shirt
vintage 1960's 3 piece suit... w/ reversible vest! I'll have to post some pics of this it's very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads