• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
tumblr_lfox8dOTgV1qd3ppyo1_500.jpg

Ooh, so does the waist measure around 16.5"...or is this one of those forty inch thirty-three inch pants?
bounce2.gif

LET'S MAKE A DEAL!!!!
EDIT: Looks like I don't have any comparable pants in that size...
shog[1].gif

16.5 exactly. the tag on inside says 33.

MattR

Reaction score

Finally found some decent (for me) shoes!  

First, the first (I believe they are) pair of shell I've ever found!  And they fit me...almost: Florsheim Imperial Longwings.  Appear vintage.  They're a 12B, I usually wear a 12-13C/D.  They feel a tad narrow, but not the least bit uncomfortable.  They are heavy as hell...way heavier than the pair of calf that follows, and seem very well made.  The bottoms are solid and heavy and you can see the nailing/craftsmanship in them.  The heels are a bit well worn, but definitely seem to have life left in them.  The pics oddly portray them as much more beat up than they are, and they look great in person, even pre-polish.  That reminds me - can you polish shell shoes with regular polish like you normally would with calfskin?  I've never owned a pair of shell, so I have no idea of how to take care of them. Any help is appreciated. 

Next, brown Florsheim wingtip brogues.  Again, very close at 12EEEs, but they might be too wide.  I'm going to give them a few test runs to see if they work, and if not I'll put them up for sale.  I'd love to keep them though, as I don't currently have a pair of brown wingtips, and they would have me covered for all of the basic shoes.

Finally, some black AE McAllisters...size 9D.  A bit of toe creasing, but after a nice polishing they will look great.

Also got a Hickey Freeman "Boardroom" houndstooth SC.  53%/47% silk/wool.  Great condition, nice pattern, tag seems relatively recent.  Tagged size 48R.  I *think* this is an SC, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.  If not, oh well...I think it will work as an SC anyhow.  

Those Florsheims are really nice. They should stretch out with some time. Obviously, grab some shoe trees (The Nordstram Rack in Fairfax has them on the cheap).

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Finally found some decent (for me) shoes!

First, the first (I believe they are) pair of shell I've ever found! And they fit me...almost: Florsheim Imperial Longwings. Appear vintage. They're a 12B, I usually wear a 12-13C/D. They feel a tad narrow, but not the least bit uncomfortable. They are heavy as hell...way heavier than the pair of calf that follows, and seem very well made. The bottoms are solid and heavy and you can see the nailing/craftsmanship in them. The heels are a bit well worn, but definitely seem to have life left in them. The pics oddly portray them as much more beat up than they are, and they look great in person, even pre-polish. That reminds me - can you polish shell shoes with regular polish like you normally would with calfskin? I've never owned a pair of shell, so I have no idea of how to take care of them. Any help is appreciated.

Next, brown Florsheim wingtip brogues. Again, very close at 12EEEs, but they might be too wide. I'm going to give them a few test runs to see if they work, and if not I'll put them up for sale. I'd love to keep them though, as I don't currently have a pair of brown wingtips, and they would have me covered for all of the basic shoes.

Finally, some black AE McAllisters...size 9D. A bit of toe creasing, but after a nice polishing they will look great.

Also got a Hickey Freeman "Boardroom" houndstooth SC. 53%/47% silk/wool. Great condition, nice pattern, tag seems relatively recent. Tagged size 48R. I *think* this is an SC, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. If not, oh well...I think it will work as an SC anyhow.

Great to find shoes that fits. I always have problems finding shoes b/c the GWs near me only have new shoes when they have one of those big sales because they are too lazy to load them onto the racks. And when they have one of those sales all the flippers will come out and load up carts of mens womens childrens and even babies shoes :(

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the Harris Tweed jacket I picked up over the w/e. Tagged 50R, but it really does not seem to run that large compared to the 46 I usually wear. Make is DS Stuart (looks like Sierra Trading post carried this brand). Not sure if I'll have this altered or look to sell/trade it. It's in really good condition.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe day -
mint vintage red wing irish setter boots
NWOB polo ralph lauren made in italy sneakers
mint brown allen edmonds split toe
alden for brooks shell cordovan tassel loafers
russell moccasin co lace up shoes
vcleat scotchgrain florsheim imperials (really good shape... and for $3 i couldn't leave'em)

Hm... robert graham shirt also, couple vineyard vines ties, nice polo by ralph silk sweater, and a couple pairs of nwt carhartt pants in my size for car work

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Shoe day -
vcleat scotchgrain florsheim imperials (really good shape... and for $3 i couldn't leave'em)
Hm... robert graham shirt also, couple vineyard vines ties, nice polo by ralph silk sweater, and a couple pairs of nwt carhartt pants in my size for car work

nice Mainy, how many stores was that lol.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the Harris Tweed jacket I picked up over the w/e. Tagged 50R, but it really does not seem to run that large compared to the 46 I usually wear. Make is DS Stuart (looks like Sierra Trading post carried this brand). Not sure if I'll have this altered or look to sell/trade it. It's in really good condition.

you'll probably get more of a customer base for that on AAAC trad exchange.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, almost forgot. Got these 2 Ted Baker London shirts, size 4 (whatever the hell that is). Left behind 4 others in the same pattern in various colors because of issues (collar wear, fraying, etc.). The mint green one has really interesting fabric. Very soft, doesn't feel like cotton really.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe day -

I picked up a couple of Robert Graham shirts to flip last week... Put them up on eBay and one sold almost immediately. It's a mystery to me as I think they're ugly, but whatever.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had never heard of these shirts. I just looked them up. Oh god...the pain, it hurts my eyes. I haven't seen a single design I'd personally wear yet.

But damn it, if I ever see any, you're damn sure I'll pick them up.

They are guaranteed money, in terms of flipping I get more excited finding them than almost any other shirt.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had never heard of these shirts. I just looked them up. Oh god...the pain, it hurts my eyes. I haven't seen a single design I'd personally wear yet.

But damn it, if I ever see any, you're damn sure I'll pick them up.

They're well made of fabrics that shouldn't exist

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They are guaranteed money, in terms of flipping I get more excited finding them than almost any other shirt.

Whaaa...really? I found a couple...never posted, as they don't seem to get too much love here. (See the 'Restaurant Shirts' thread :facepalm: ).

Also, for nostalgia value, I swiped up some typically loud Nicole Miller silk shirts from teh 90's. Size medium -- 90's for XXL.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit up the store where I found the RLPL again today - found an old black label unvented Canali. :uhoh: Also found a bunch of Hemrajani shirts and Armani Exchange stuff I don't want to risk authenticity questions on, doesn't sell for enough to be worth it.

interestingly, the supply of RG shirts here has completely dried up - seems like I was finding them pretty regularly for awhile there and then bam, nothing. I know I had a couple guys following me on Ebay looking for them, too - it's a shame. Might sell the one I kept in my own closet, haven't really found a way to wear it - but it's reserved so it won't even sell for much. Good problem to have, I guess...

Currently I'm more puzzling over the fact that a Banana Republic coat I posted got a $50 bid within an hour of the auction going up - and thanks to a photo snafu it went up super late... the paranoia that it's a scammer! :paranoia:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads