• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhead

Reaction score

Yeah, Chester Barrie is what I think too. .

I think you'll probably find it's Cheshire Clothing or Cheshire Bespoke, both now owned by Tony Lutwyche. I'm sure they also cut & stitch the RTW and MTM lines for Chester Barrie though

Last edited:

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gonna be in NYC for Xmas. Anyone care to share some good spots?

At this time of year, they're all good, really. Just google a map of SAs or GWs. One two block stretch of E 23rd has a Housing Works store, a SA, a GW, and a Jewish Council store just below 23rd on 3rd Ave. The UES in the 90s around 2nd Ave is another nice node of such stores.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift store bargains are few and far between here in the Rust Belt, so I was happy to nab a $75 NWT Polo belt for $10 shipped on the 'bay.

That reminds me; at the Marshalls both in Albuquerque and Columbia I saw some Polo belts, which allegedly sold for $125, that are now for $20 if anybody needs a decent plain dress belt.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
while dropping off 6 bags of clothes to donate since im moving (old tshirts and **** guys, dont worry lol)i decided to peek into the store. Its a local charity for the town i live in, so i wanted my donations to help the out. i never find much here. Stumbled upon a mint pair of mint rlpl cream colored 100% Silk trousers with side tabs etc. Tagged sz36 if anyone is interested.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

while dropping off 6 bags of clothes to donate since im moving (old tshirts and **** guys, dont worry lol)i decided to peek into the store. Its a local charity for the town i live in, so i wanted my donations to help the out. i never find much here. Stumbled upon a mint pair of mint rlpl cream colored 100% Silk trousers with side tabs etc. Tagged sz36 if anyone is interested.

How much let out room and hem in the trousers? I am 39" waist right now, but aiming to hit 37 - 38" in coming weeks/months. Length should be ideally 32.5".

Last edited:

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thats my size

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
i seldom look through the racks for navy pants but I did today just out of whim. Found a pair of Mint 33" waist 29" inseam incotex flat front wool trousers. Will trade for similar trousers in 34-36" waist inseam 32+.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The C&J Handgrades from the other day. They took a fair bit of conditioner and polish, the previous owner was apparently none too versed in shoe care. I'm calling it patina, the buyer could even out the finish if desired:

P1020123.jpg

P1020125.jpg

P1020126.jpg

Not listed yet, because I've got a PM out to somebody who posted a WTB on a very similar shoe. If that doesn't happen, I'll list them.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Picked up a Sanyo, made in Japan, cotton rain balmacaan. It's just a shell, no lining, and no place for one. It's the perfect warm weather rain solution when a trench is just too heavy.

Also found a perfect condition Burberry sport shirt, size Large, Gitman made. I'm keeping the Sanyo, the Burberry will be on the block.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i seldom look through the racks for navy pants but I did today just out of whim.  Found a pair of Mint 33" waist  29" inseam incotex flat front wool trousers.  Will trade for similar trousers in 34-36" waist inseam 32+.

tumblr_lfox8dOTgV1qd3ppyo1_500.jpg

Ooh, so does the waist measure around 16.5"...or is this one of those forty inch thirty-three inch pants? :bounce2:

LET'S MAKE A DEAL!!!!

EDIT: Looks like I don't have any comparable pants in that size... :embar:

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally found some decent (for me) shoes!

First, the first (I believe they are) pair of shell I've ever found! And they fit me...almost: Florsheim Imperial Longwings. Appear vintage. They're a 12B, I usually wear a 12-13C/D. They feel a tad narrow, but not the least bit uncomfortable. They are heavy as hell...way heavier than the pair of calf that follows, and seem very well made. The bottoms are solid and heavy and you can see the nailing/craftsmanship in them. The heels are a bit well worn, but definitely seem to have life left in them. The pics oddly portray them as much more beat up than they are, and they look great in person, even pre-polish. That reminds me - can you polish shell shoes with regular polish like you normally would with calfskin? I've never owned a pair of shell, so I have no idea of how to take care of them. Any help is appreciated.

Next, brown Florsheim wingtip brogues. Again, very close at 12EEEs, but they might be too wide. I'm going to give them a few test runs to see if they work, and if not I'll put them up for sale. I'd love to keep them though, as I don't currently have a pair of brown wingtips, and they would have me covered for all of the basic shoes.

Finally, some black AE McAllisters...size 9D. A bit of toe creasing, but after a nice polishing they will look great.

Also got a Hickey Freeman "Boardroom" houndstooth SC. 53%/47% silk/wool. Great condition, nice pattern, tag seems relatively recent. Tagged size 48R. I *think* this is an SC, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. If not, oh well...I think it will work as an SC anyhow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads