• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got a lot of cool stuff today, but my first find of the morning was the best...

NWOT Alden's, size 11.5 AAAA/AAA (?) Any tips on the name of the style or how much these should go for on the 'bay appreciated. I think it's this one: 

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_comf_757.htm

Looks like they tried a tongue pad and couldn't make them work?

Buying those was a bad idea. Hate to break it to you, but it's really, really doubtful they'll even sell on e-bay, much less bring any sort of decent price. That's just an insanely weird size, and people who wear such sizes aren't going to be looking on e-bay for shoes.

Seriously, you bought a shoe with a AAA width and a AAAAA heel (as narrow as shoes will ever get outside of custom). That's an incredibly limited market. It's nice that they're aldens and all, but if only a tiny portion of the population can fit them, they're not going to sell on e-bay.

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Buying those was a bad idea. Hate to break it to you, but it's really, really doubtful they'll even sell on e-bay, much less bring any sort of decent price. That's just an insanely weird size, and people who wear such sizes aren't going to be looking on e-bay for shoes.
Seriously, you bought a shoe with a AAA width and a AAAAA heel (as narrow as shoes will ever get outside of custom). That's an incredibly limited market. It's nice that they're aldens and all, but if only a tiny portion of the population can fit them, they're not going to sell on e-bay.

at thrift store prices he probably didn't pay more than $20 for them.. he'll still get a profit imo..

datsunfan

Reaction score
I found nice lightweight grey/black herringbone tweed overcoat today. It has no tags to indicate the maker, but it has handmade buttonholes and the lining is attached by hand. I think it's about 38 Short. Also available, a pair of recent Brooks Brothers Madison double-pleated tuxedo pants size 42X31.

IMG_5497.jpg

My recent tie purchases violate multiple rules on the lists upthread.
From left to right: Ferrell Reed for Leslie & Co., Jacobson-Richards for Satel's(ancient madder), Jonathan Lake, Boston Trader's Limited Edition(my favorite), Pendleton Wool, Chipp printed(silk), Chipp houndstooth(silk), Polo wool
IMG_54731.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

at thrift store prices he probably didn't pay more than $20 for them.. he'll still get a profit imo..

That would require selling them in the first place. I seriously doubt he'll find a buyer at all.

codhead

Reaction score

That would require selling them in the first place. I seriously doubt he'll find a buyer at all.

I disagree. People with any sizes out of the ordinary usually end up paying top-dollar for any article of clothing, so look for any bargains possible, eBay is a very real and credible source.

I'd probably put them on a BiN, Best Offer, Good 'til Complete with a BiN price of 50% - 33% of new

MattR

Reaction score

I found nice lightweight grey/black herringbone tweed overcoat today. It has no tags to indicate the maker, but it has handmade buttonholes and the lining is attached by hand. I think it's about 38 Short. Also available, a pair of recent Brooks Brothers Madison double-pleated tuxedo pants size 42X31.
IMG_5497.jpg
My recent tie purchases violate multiple rules on the lists upthread.
From left to right: Ferrell Reed for Leslie & Co., Jacobson-Richards for Satel's(ancient madder), Jonathan Lake, Boston Trader's Limited Edition(my favorite), Pendleton Wool, Chipp printed(silk), Chipp houndstooth(silk), Polo wool
IMG_54731.jpg

I love that coat and the wool ties. Wish the coat fit!

Are you keeping the wool ties?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. And I actually disagree with the original post - I find it that people with the weirdest sizes are the ones more likely to head to ebay to find a used size that fits them, since it's difficult to find their sizes in stores or pick them up used somewhere else. I had little difficulty selling both a 12EEE and 15B for a decent profit (granted, not as weird as a 15AAAA, but still pretty odd sizes), and they definitely weren't Alden caliber.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. This is exactly what I did with my 15B & 12EEEs I sold.

I disagree. People with any sizes out of the ordinary usually end up paying top-dollar for any article of clothing, so look for any bargains possible, eBay is a very real and credible source.
I'd probably put them on a BiN, Best Offer, Good 'til Complete with a BiN price of 50% - 33% of new

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. And I actually disagree with the original post - I find it that people with the weirdest sizes are the ones more likely to head to ebay to find a used size that fits them, since it's difficult to find their sizes in stores or pick them up used somewhere else. I had little difficulty selling both a 12EEE and 15B for a decent profit (granted, not as weird as a 15AAAA, but still pretty odd sizes), and they definitely weren't Alden caliber.

Cool, thanks! That's what I'll do then. They're not quite as weird as that... Only 11.5 AAAA
smile.gif

+1. This is exactly what I did with my 15B & 12EEEs I sold.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah yeah, that seems doable then. And they look to be in great condition, so it shouldn't be hard selling to the person with the right fit. Good luck!

Cool, thanks! That's what I'll do then. They're not quite as weird as that... Only 11.5 AAAA
smile.gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a lot of cool stuff today, but my first find of the morning was the best...

NWOT Alden's, size 11.5 AAAA/AAA (?) Any tips on the name of the style or how much these should go for on the 'bay appreciated. I think it's this one: 

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_comf_757.htm

Looks like they tried a tongue pad and couldn't make them work?

This. I tried selling a pair of size 12 AAA shell cordovan shoes brand new for around $100, didn't even get an offer. When trying to sell shoes, I only go one up or one down from regular width.

MattR

Reaction score
Had one of those days where everything goes wrong until it goes right.

First store:
Passed on a khaki BB suit in 39R. Fit great in the chest and waist, but was just too long by about 1/2 inch or so.
Find a BB Makers blue OCBD in my size. Great! Wait...is that a patch underneath the collar? Well, ****..

Second store:
-Passed on an EZ cotton/linen blue/green short sleeve summer shirt in my size. It was in great condition, felt wonderful, made in italy, the whole nine yards. Ultimately realized I wanted it for the name tag, not the way it looked on me, so I threw it back on the rack.
-Grabbed a BB 2B navy blue SC in 42R. Awesome fabric combo (wool/silk/something I can't remember) and made in italy. A real beaut to flip...until I got it into the light and saw the pulls and worn-down fabric. Ugh.
-Continue muddling through and see a gray windowpane Canali SC. Awesome! Wait....stains up and down the lapels. God, is this some sick prank for something I did recently?

Just as I'm leaving, they roll out several racks. Alright, alright...
-Saw a nearly new BB 346 (I think) 2B navy suit still on the BB hangar (plastic, unfortunately, but wide). 41S. ALMOST my size, so I tried on the jacket, and it was just too big. Awesome.
-As I'm putting it back on the rack, I see another BB tag, and nab it to check. Turns out it was a woman's double-breasted blazer with gold buttons and peak lapels, size 4petite. Best part - NWT. The vent stitching wasn't even undone. Took it to the register where the lady behind the counter notices she must have missed this one when she was marking up the other items. Gave me that "Alright, you got us" smile. Paid my money and brought it home. I'll see if it fits the lady of the house first, but then it's headed to Ebay.

Today's weird moment: As I'm looking through the suits, some older guy comes up to me and compliments my hair (which is in dire need of a cut, actually). He kept calling it luscious. Alright, thanks buddy. Moving along now....

Last edited:

codhead

Reaction score
I am a happy bunny tonight. I've just won a brand new, Savile Row, Isle of Islay tweed coat for the princely sum of £26.00 :)

eBay Item number: 220896870131

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads