• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Canali n the US is for business men who are hardly trim.
Instead of mathematical formulae, just measure the thing. The chest will measure one to tour inches larger than the labelled size us or eu; less for fashion cuts, more for trad ones.
Also remember anything you buy secondhand may have been altered, sometimes extremely or strangely.

F.U. Mack Canali fits me really well :) And to be honest, I'd rather buy something like Canali where the size listed is going to fit close to listed size then Tom Ford who's 17/43 shirt might have fit me if I got liposuction and had a couple ribs removed.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

F.U. Mack Canali fits me really well :) And to be honest, I'd rather buy something like Canali where the size listed is going to fit close to listed size then Tom Ford who's 17/43 shirt might have fit me if I got liposuction and had a couple ribs removed.

Have you seen what human ribs are going for on ebay?

They're like kidneys -- who needs all of them?

rathebaindc

Reaction score
Found this a while ago and don't know what I have on my hands:

Mario Ferretti suit made with 100% Loro Piana New Zealand Merino Super 130s wool. Tagged size 52/42, jacket is 3 button, dual vent, flap pockets. One vent is still basted shut.

Pants are single pleated, uncuffed, lined to knees, rubber strip on inside of waistband. Looks absolutely brand new, came on a quality Mario Ferretti hanger.

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Last edited:

datsunfan

Reaction score

Was out yesterday (we are out of town for the w/e...and still feel the need to hot thrift stores) and could not find the ties. To my horror I see a woman carrying a handful of ties around. She pointed me in the direction they were at...but I couldn't help but wonder if there was anything decent she had that I missed by 15 minutes? I found a Holland & Sherry (do they license ties because it says made in US?). Passed on some Tom James ties. They were they higher end one they sell and quite well made...I was going to buy one, but saw a small spot so I passed.

The Holland & Sherry tie is made by Tom James too. I've found a couple of the Tom James Holland & Sherry shirts and they only had Holland & Sherry embroidered on them. Here is a full list of the Tom James lines.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another thread prompted me to write these down. Feel free to agree/disagree/offer improvements.

[COLOR=FF00AA]The 10 Commandments of Thrifting Neckwear.[/COLOR]

1. Thrifted ties must be silk only. You shall have no other fabrics before it (except some wools and such).
2. You shall not thrift counterfeit Hermes.
3. You shall not shout the name of the tie you have thrifted in exaltation, lest it be taken from your cart while in the fitting room.
4. Remember the knot area, to check it for chin grease.
5. Honor your neck size and your torso length.
6. You shall not snag the thread of a grenadine just before reaching the cashier and then replace it on the rack.
7. You shall not thrift ties which have loud prints.
8. You shall not steal. (Sometimes, there's just no improving on the original!)
9. You shall not falsely advise the shlub holding the pink Attolini against purchasing it so that you may have it instead.
10. You shall not covet an unpurchased tie from another's cart.

Haha cool! I like it except for #1 and #7. I've seen some amazing cashmere ties, although they are rare. I also have some really nice "loud" print ties. Sometimes they can really "wake-up" a dull outfit. It all depends on the occasion, though!

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Found this a while ago and don't know what I have on my hands:
Mario Ferretti suit made with 100% Loro Piana New Zealand Merino Super 130s wool. Tagged size 52/42, jacket is 3 button, dual vent, flap pockets. One vent is still basted shut.
Pants are single pleated, uncuffed, lined to knees, rubber strip on inside of waistband. Looks absolutely brand new, came on a quality Mario Ferretti hanger.
IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg
nothing big, but good fabrics and with a bit of tailoring should fit you well. I'm just a bit more picky since If I picked up loro piana fabrics stuff that fits me my closet would fill up way too quick.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, a Yves St. Laurent pinpoint- white with brown and black stripes. From a lower end line, but 100% cotton and serviceable enough.

Oh, and a pair of Crockett and Jones Handgrade penny loafers. Fairly scuffed up, and some creases, but it doesn't look like anything polish can't fix. 8 1/2 D, Dated 2001, Rosebery, 330 last, tan. I'll toss pictures in here when I take 'em for the B&S listing.

rose04

Reaction score
The last couple days have been some of my best thrifting scores ever. I started out on Friday afternoon finding an older Ermenegildo Zegna shirt. Not amazing, but my father will like it. Then at the next store I found a tan wool/silk blend Canali sport coat. Unfortunately it’s unvented, but will fit well if I get the sleeves let out. I’m thinking I may keep it, the fabric is gorgeous. At the same store I found a beautiful grey with brown window panes recent double vented Canali suit, also my size. I can see this one quickly entering my rotation.
Saturday was a bust.

Today though, my luck changed. Three racks of clothes had just been rolled out from the back of the store. They were just sitting there so I started flipping through. First up, a cotton/merino wool blend Bamford & Sons sweater. Next, a cotton Brunello Cucinelli vest, new with Bergdorf tags still attached. Next, a 100% cashmere Brunello Cucinelli crew neck sweater. Next, a 100% cashmere Brunello Cucinelli v-neck neck sweater. Next, a blue striped Loro Piana (branded, not fabric) sport shirt. Finally, to round it out an older pair of Ermenegildo Zegna khakis that should fit my cousin. I grabbed the pile and turned to run for the register. But, before I could make it two steps one of the employees started yelling at me “those aren’t for sale, we haven’t priced them yet!” Uh oh. I had visions of them going to the great back room in the sky never to be seen again. Luckily, turns out she was pricing the racks as they rolled onto the floor, so I just had to wait a few minutes. Everything was base price and away I went a happy camper.

I’ll have to take pictures at some point.

Maybe not the most amazing finds ever elsewhere, but frankly, it was pretty amazing for St. Louis.

A tip with sizing Canali and a couple of the other Italian makers who size more to the "trim" figure.
Instead of just deducting 10 from the size, a more accurate method is to multiply the Canali size by 0.79. So a 52 Italian would equate to 41.08 or 41" nominal

I’d tend to agree, that’s been my experience I as well. Sure you can always measure, but I find this to be a good rule of thumb too (especially if you can’t reach out and touch the jacket).

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
J.M. Weston mid-brown Penny Loafers (with a split-toe), size "9/D" (French I suppose??, since it fits my 10.5 US perfectly). I'd say B+/A- condition. Used, and will need a new sole soon-ish, but in very good condition. Should pick up some nice color gradations when I get them polished. $15.

There was also a pair of Stuart's Choice loafers in my size but they were too far gone to even give a try to.

Last edited:

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been basically hoarding thrift store finds for resale as I have stopped various places in my travels looking for treasures in my size. Recently I have found 2 or 3 pairs of shell cordovan and a practically new pair of pebble grain Florsheim Impreials (on Ebay). Lots of nice sweaters and shirts, but I have suits and sport coats EVERYWHERE.

This thread has been an inspiration to my continued hoarding so I thought I would post a picture I took today while photographing suits on the manequin. Here is ONE of two racks I have to process & list, including lots of Brooks Bros., RLPL, Hickey Freeman (all levels) Samuelsohn, Canali, Oxxford (jacket only) and I can't remember what else. I think I have almost 100 suits and jackets to go through. :embar: :slayer:

My goal is to let these nice jackets find a new home, make someone happy with their bargain and to pay for my kid's preschool. :D

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maby he is making an archery target. People use old clothes, bags, rags, ect for the filling. I have one that I made out of old clothes and rags. They are referred to as "life time diy targets". You just replace the front material every season or so depending on how much you shoot. The fill lasts years if kept dry.
For a decent sized target which will last years and years if cared for $150 (including wood ect) is very reasonable.

How-to-Make-it-in-America.jpg

Hmm, interdasting. I was thinking he be might picking up some old super-soft vintage T-shirts to re-logo, as dramatized by these guys in HBO's How to Make It in America...

I had no idea that old worn-out clothing was in such high demand (especially in bulk).

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!

I have been basically hoarding thrift store finds for resale as I have stopped various places in my travels looking for treasures in my size. Recently I have found 2 or 3 pairs of shell cordovan and a practically new pair of pebble grain Florsheim Impreials (on Ebay). Lots of nice sweaters and shirts, but I have suits and sport coats EVERYWHERE.
This thread has been an inspiration to my continued hoarding so I thought I would post a picture I took today while photographing suits on the manequin. Here is ONE of two racks I have to process & list, including lots of Brooks Bros., RLPL, Hickey Freeman (all levels) Samuelsohn, Canali, Oxxford (jacket only) and I can't remember what else. I think I have almost 100 suits and jackets to go through.
shog[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

My goal is to let these nice jackets find a new home, make someone happy with their bargain and to pay for my kid's preschool.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today though, my luck changed. Three racks of clothes had just been rolled out from the back of the store. They were just sitting there so I started flipping through. First up, a cotton/merino wool blend Bamford & Sons sweater. Next, a cotton Brunello Cucinelli vest, new with Bergdorf tags still attached. Next, a 100% cashmere Brunello Cucinelli crew neck sweater. Next, a 100% cashmere Brunello Cucinelli v-neck neck sweater. Next, a blue striped Loro Piana (branded, not fabric) sport shirt

Amazing!! :slayer:

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Holy hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads