• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up another Harris Tweed to flip today. Anyone seen a Harris Tweed tag like this before? A thing I read on AAAC said this is a more premium version of Harris Tweed?

Also, anyone seen ties like this before? I'm assuming they're Japanese:

Other than that, I picked up a Hickey Freeman suit to flip, but when I was measuring it I found a tiny moth hole
baldy[1].gif

I also picked up a Hickey Freeman casual button down, a pair of Florsheim Imperial longwings (8.5C), a pair of surprisingly nice J&M brown wingtips (8.5C), and a pair of J&M penny loafers in good shape (8D), all available.

My best find I'm keeping... Thanks all for the tip about checking the go-back racks, because I found an awesome pair of flannel grey-on-grey plaid pants that only need to be brought in a bit at the waist. I've been looking for some nice flannel pants.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those pants look great!

I don't know about you guys, but I have a pretty high opinion of recent Hickey Freeman stuff - it's no Oxxford, but in general their stuff is quite nice. I see recent shirts every now and then that I leave if they're not my size, but I snap up any in my size for the closet. My recent H-F suit is one of my favorites to wear, despite having "nicer" stuff.

I HAVE been told that the NEW NEW H-F is lower quality in the tailored stuff - those red labels - but have not seen them in person yet (even at retail, f you very much cowtown). Definitely got the impression that the new ownership has resulted in cut corners, but have no idea how far that extends. Honestly there's no room for cut corners with H-F IMO because they're already in something of a precarious spot.

Anyway, thrifting here has been a big bust lately. I see you guys finding tax season donations and figure this is my penance for some of my finds in the last month or so. :p Did pick up a "new" black & orange label Bullock & Jones wool & cotton polo sweater, more out of desperation than anything but it's surprisingly nice.

Did also see a vintage (sheep logo) Norman Hilton peak collar tux one button unvented... very classic. Didn't have time to look for the pants, but being a tux it'll likely be there if I make it back there during the week next week.

tsacain

Reaction score

Found a large reverse seam Steven Alan shirt today (it's kinda goofy but I might end up keeping it), but the real reason I'm posting this is because when I tried to check out, there was a guy in front of me that bought $123 worth of t-shirts at maybe 99 cents a piece(?)
He saw me with my lone shirt and was very apologetic although he had already let a few customers go before him before I got in line so I was very gracious. I was left wondering under what circumstances does someone buy $123 worth of t-shirts of every imaginable color and design?

Maby he is making an archery target. People use old clothes, bags, rags, ect for the filling. I have one that I made out of old clothes and rags. They are referred to as "life time diy targets". You just replace the front material every season or so depending on how much you shoot. The fill lasts years if kept dry.

For a decent sized target which will last years and years if cared for $150 (including wood ect) is very reasonable.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know about you guys, but I have a pretty high opinion of recent Hickey Freeman stuff - it's no Oxxford, but in general their stuff is quite nice. I see recent shirts every now and then that I leave if they're not my size, but I snap up any in my size for the closet. My recent H-F suit is one of my favorites to wear, despite having "nicer" stuff.

+ 1,
H-F is very respectable. I dont salivate at the mouth when I see H-F suits though, it has nothing to do with quality, but their shape and fit are often a deal killer for me. I have one H-F suit that my tailor had to work hard to fit me properly, and I dont think the expense is worth it for me. Even so, a nice H-F suit is .... nice. Ignoring the Nordstrom Rack stuff, quality wise, I rate them in the same bracket as Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, Canali / Canali Proposta, Ralph Lauren Black Label etc. I think a fair few may even put H-F higher than these, they are good quality suits ;)

I have been impressed by the quality of H-F's pants. I found a couple of pairs in a GW a while ago which I did not list here - they are very decent and drape very nicely. I have worn them a few times since I got them, and they are slowly becoming my chief beater pants :laugh:

H-F shirts I occasionally score as well, mostly decent fabric. Some shirts even have unconservatively thick MOP buttons.

I do hope H-F dont cut too many corners, as it is they help keep USA competitive in terms of tailored clothing.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did the reverse of the missing pants search today. Hanging on the end of a rack were a pair charcoal pinstripe trousers that immediately shouted out OXXFORD. Apron waist, two belt loops on the one side, secret pocket. Flat front, perfect condition. I had just gone through all of the suit and jackets and there were no Oxxfords, so I went through them again. No Oxxfords. So I went through about 20 racks of women's jacket. No grey pinstripe. But there was this in the ladies racks...

OXXHOP.jpg

Oxxford hopsack and it appears never to have been worn. 41 L

This is why I always search through the women's jackets. You never know! Who cares what other people think....

What I left behind:
Anderson Sheppard suit. (Size unknown, did not fit me, style wise looked mid 90's)

I would have snapped this up in a heartbeat! I dream of finding A&S almost as much as I dream of finding Kiton. Score on the Zilli shirt!

compared to $29.99-39.99 suits and $12.99-19.99 shirts at the other.

How the hell do they move anything at those prices?!

Anyway, pickings are very slim here. Today I picked up a recent "Made in the USA" sportcoat by Coach. Nice glen plaid pattern.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
(Also posted in the "quick question"section)
Does anyone know anything about this manufacturer? Picked this up thrifting. Super 120s, half canvas,
is it made in Italy or one of those Made in China with Italian fabrics/design kind of a thing? Either way it is nothing special.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
This is why I always search through the women's jackets. You never know! Who cares what other people think....
I would have snapped this up in a heartbeat! I dream of finding A&S almost as much as I dream of finding Kiton. Score on the Zilli shirt!
How the hell do they move anything at those prices?!
Anyway, pickings are very slim here. Today I picked up a recent "Made in the USA" sportcoat by Coach. Nice glen plaid pattern.

I agree with Nat, I think anything by decent Savile Row Tailors is worth the pickup (bespoke) especially.
Mason Zilli, had to look it up... another brand to add to my brainctionary.

Hermes,Arnys, Zilli, any other french botiques I should know about Nat? lol..

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Hmm earlier post attempt didn't post - stuffs!

Steven Alan XL x2, one reverse seam and one grey chambray
Blue Turnbull & Asser 16/41, Nailhead? End on End? I don't know weaves very well.
Bill's 32"
Brioni L
Jil Sander 44
EZ 39/15.5 S
Luciano Barbera trousers, 52
First time coming across Brioni and Jil Sander, I got pretty excited and wanted a high five, but the guys near me with super gelled hair were geeking out over some polka dot Banana Republic shirts...

great haul man..

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is it made in Italy or one of those Made in China with Italian fabrics/design kind of a thing? Either way it is nothing special.

No "made in" tag that I can find. (Even more distressingly, no "made from" tag either, so no way to confirm what the shell and lining are made from) I doubted it was anything special, but at $8, it seemed hard to go wrong. Hey, either way, this way I have a suit to wear the days I decide to eat linguini with marinara sauce..

Thanks.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks man ;)

A&S I would have scored it if it fit me, I am a big fan of Bespoke. I have an A&S double breasted POW suit, it is one of my absolute favourites. It was only $10 as well.

I have my doubts though that it would have high flippability, since if nobody here wanted it, it would probably struggle to get into triple figures on eBay. I guess only a small slice of the clothing community would know A&S, and most would think Saville Row is a cheap brand of shirts rather than super high end Bespoke on a par with / better than Kiton.

I was pleased to find a Zilli shirt, I heard of the brand but never owned anything by them. Another decent brand I have never owned is Bijan.

I dream of hitting a thrift and filling 3 supermarket carts with very recent NWT Bijan, Partenopia, Attolini, Hermes, Kiton, Borrelli, Loro Piana etc ...
But I guess who here would not share that dream :laugh:

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with Nat, I think anything by decent Savile Row Tailors is worth the pickup (bespoke) especially.  
Mason Zilli, had to look it up... another brand to add to my brainctionary.  

Hermes,Arnys, Zilli, any other french botiques I should know about Nat? lol..

I think you've got the ones I know of covered! :)

Thanks man ;)
A&S I would have scored it if it fit me, I am a big fan of Bespoke. I have an A&S double breasted POW suit, it is one of my absolute favourites. It was only $10 as well.
I have my doubts though that it would have high flippability, since if nobody here wanted it, it would probably struggle to get into triple figures on eBay.

Any high profile SR stuff (A&S, Henry Poole, etc) brings in big bucks here and on eBay. I tried to snipe a few A&S suits on the bay last year - to my dismay they ended at $400. A bit out of my price-range, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads