• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
A slew of vintage Ralph Lauren/Polo ties--most of them bearing a $15 msrp, which would take them back to the very beginning. Unusual and elaborate woven silks and woolens; closest contemporary reference might be Duchamp (-25 yrs or so).

Pics? I've never seen early RL pieces.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn! Now I can't complain about never finding nice shoes! I got a tip from a thrifting buddy that a thrift store I stopped frequenting about a year ago (too far away and there were too many visits that yielded nothing) got some great shoes in. He picked up some goodies from the lot as well. I high-tailed it up there before work and managed to grab these: Sanders black whole-cuts ($25 - the most expensive of the lot, but the nicest.)
DSC06987.jpg
DSC06988.jpg
DSC06989.jpg
These may be for sale here soon - I tried them on with my thickest socks and they're still a bit too large. Bah!

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I've hit a bit of a dry spell lately until today...

Vintage - Florsheim Imperial Longwings in Black & Tan & Florsheim Imperial Shell bluchers

Allen Edmonds Leeds
NWT Havana Joe Rugged Casual Classic brown napa
CC Filson Passage Medium Dispatch bag
Schaefer Fleece lined saddle coat
Australian Outback Collection houndstooth fleece vest

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
I've hit a bit of a dry spell lately until today...

Vintage - Florsheim Imperial Longwings in Black & Tan & Florsheim Imperial Shell bluchers

Allen Edmonds Leeds
NWT Havana Joe Rugged Casual Classic brown napa
CC Filson Passage Medium Dispatch bag
Schaefer Fleece lined saddle coat
Australian Outback Collection houndstooth fleece vest

Is that two pair of vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings, one in black and one in tan, or was that a two-tone pair of Florsheim Imperial Longwings?

If so...
worship.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a decent day today. - Handful of older Gucci ties and newer Ferragamo ties @ .99 each - Seize sur Vingt blue/white minicheck shirt. My size, but it fits small
frown.gif
- Recent navy cotton D/B blazer from Burberry. It's made in Italy - I always thought their coats/jackets were either made in England or the US. - Recent green flat-front moleskin trousers from Zanella - A signed LP from a band called "Faster *****cat".

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Is that two pair of vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings, one in black and one in tan, or was that a two-tone pair of Florsheim Imperial Longwings?

If so...
worship.gif

eh.gif
I wish it was a two-tone. I will settle for two pair though.
smile.gif
The uppers and inners on both are great, but both need resoling.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depressing day
found a treasure trove of really old vintage brooks bros stuff, golden fleece suits in heavy flannels, blazers.. every single piece had moth damage or some other flaw. brought a tear to my eye

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was tie day today:
A sweet polka dot Rubinacci tie $1.73
2 Hermes ties, NWOT for $2.00
A NWT Charvet shirt for $18.00

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
A couple of finds yesterday:

RL Polo lambswool:

img0666m.jpg

RL Polo hand knit shawl collar, not nearly as bright in real life as it appears in the pics. My wife hates it. Anybody know the vintage?

img0660.jpg

img0661sf.jpg

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thrifted a pretty cool Burberry's hat, you know like an old man's hat. Its quite old, made in England.

Looks kinda like this, but mine is blue:

IMG_2091+%282%29.JPG

(... and thats not me)

How do you wash one of these w/o losing the shape?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had a great experience and a lousy one today.

Was in a favorite thrift of mine, and a guy asked me where I got my pocket square. I told him, and he seemed nice. I picked up a Brooks Brothers tuxedo shirt, and it was my size, so I walked away with it. Maybe two or three minutes later, the guy said, "did you want that, because I was going to buy it?" and I said, "Oh, sorry man." And he said, "don't worry about it, there's another one, I'm fine. I guess we're the same size." So after I checked out, I just gave him the six bucks and told him I was buying his, because that was a super nice thing to do.

On the other hand, I took my stuff to the front and the lady examined the ties, and said, "Hmm, three dollars each." And the posted price was two dollars, and I said, "I thought they were two dollars." And she replied, "No. Depends on quality." And I said, "Doesn't say that anywhere around here, it says ties $2." And then I just gave it up because it was only a matter of $2, but still... give me a break.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan, I got a Norman Hilton navy doeskin blazer for $8 today. It looks like it was made by Oxxford, all of the seams and stitching are the same as my old Onwentsia jackets. The tag in the right pocket looks like the old Oxxford one too.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
On the other hand, I took my stuff to the front and the lady examined the ties, and said, "Hmm, three dollars each." And the posted price was two dollars, and I said, "I thought they were two dollars." And she replied, "No. Depends on quality." And I said, "Doesn't say that anywhere around here, it says ties $2." And then I just gave it up because it was only a matter of $2, but still... give me a break.

wow that's not cool... who made her the arbiter of quality all of a sudden?
ffffuuuu.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads