• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a good morning. No pics yet, but thrifted shells in my size (5th pair found in 3 weeks, but the first I've ever found for me), black leather chukkas from Barney's (also my size), a couple pars of Zanellas that don't have ridiculous numbers of pleats for myself, and a pretty cool vintage Banana Republic made in USA work shirt. Oh, and some stuff for feebay. Now to see if I can hit my cool of prepping 50 listings in a day.

Last edited:

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I feel bad about seeking profit from Goodwill I remember how I have $80K in student loan debt and how I'm actually a pretty good candidate for some charity.
I never feel bad about seeking profit. As long as its legal (and some legal stuff I wouldn't do) and I'm straight with a buyer.

Take away profit, the world stops in-place.

I hear people say "I really don't work for the money, I love what I do", but every single time a company decides to stop paying them, they go somewhere else where they get paid. So it is for the money for 99.9% of us.

Even the non-profits. Its about money. the couple who own the eastern NC GW franchise - $800K a year. I'm one of the few who don't care they make that much. I look at how they've grown GW in this area and if I were a board member, I would pay them.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

who is exploiting charity?     Goodwill?  or those who seek to profit from Goodwill?        who is the vulture?     

I've seen Goodwill's corporate workers driving brand new Lexus's, Audi's and BMW's. As someone who's brother worked for Goodwill and who is friends with many of the employees at the stores, I hear first hand that a lot of the profits are going to pay for the higher-up's $50k cars and $500,000+ houses. Not only that but I also hear about how they treat their employees. I never feel bad about turning a profit from them.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen Goodwill's corporate workers driving brand new Lexus's, Audi's and BMW's. As someone who's brother worked for Goodwill and who is friends with many of the employees at the stores, I hear first hand that a lot of the profits are going to pay for the higher-up's $50k cars and $500,000+ houses. Not only that but I also hear about how they treat their employees. I never feel bad about turning a profit from them.

Mistreating American workers is ******* Un-American!

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally found a really, really nice pair of non blobby looking Chelsea boots in my size. I thought it was a lost cause, as every other pair I've found in my size looked like **** when worn. Pics later

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a vintage Swedish military jacket from 1942 that I found in a vintage shop today. It was priced ~ $250, so I passed on it. I really liked the model though, so I'm thinking on going back and getting it, even though it's a bit overpriced. What do you guys think?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check eBay first though to see how out-of-line that price is. You may be able to get one there for a way better price. With that said, it's is a great looking jacket. $250 sounds steep but I suppose it is true vintage and not a replica so it has a lot of character. Also, I'd imagine a replica from a Japanese or American heritage/throw back label charging at least double that for a reproduction. Personally if it were my size I'd check eBay first, then try to bargain with the store owner accordingly.

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good idea! the USP for this jacket is the patina it's gained by actually being worn and used in military training (Sweden hasn't been in war as a country for the last 200 years or so).

Edit: Found it.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mistreating American workers is ******* Un-American!

Not really. It has been done since the dawn of the country... till unions started stepping in. Even that's going to the wayside now since people are making decisions counter to their self interest.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
250 is nothing for a good leather jacket, especially one that has is anywhere near that old if the leather is in good condition.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. It has been done since the dawn of the country... till unions started stepping in. Even that's going to the wayside now since people are making decisions counter to their self interest.

Sadly, this. It's amazing how quickly people forget all the protections they enjoy with both unions and government labor laws looking out for them. Just look at the history of coal towns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members