• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikethelights

Reaction score

The employees at a local GW do this. They hide the other shoe of a pair they want in the back until their shift is over and they are able to make a purchase. Really shady staff at this store.

If I had more disposable income, I'd buy the single shoe and run it over in the parking lot with my car a bunch of times.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update on this: From what I can tell, they're produced by the old Highland Shoe factory, that was bought up by the same company that owns the Walkover brand. Unsure about leather quality, but they look pretty nice.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's exactly why I picked it up. I figured the silk could used for something since it was just a small bit of damage... Perhaps I'll get a bow tie made from it.

PdxTony43

Reaction score
The employees at a local GW do this. They hide the other shoe of a pair they want in the back until their shift is over and they are able to make a purchase. Really shady staff at this store.
most GW make employees wait 3 days before they can purchase. Also , at least locally, they will stash one pair of the shoes in the back of nicer shoes to prevent theft. You have to ask a staff member to go get it. I found a pair of duckie browns this way

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chet b
That is probably my favorite fit posted to the thread in recent memory v jealous of the rayon shirt, I almost bought those uniqlo pants but then I was like **** paying $30 for pants

green_machine

Reaction score

That's exactly why I picked it up. I figured the silk could used for something since it was just a small bit of damage... Perhaps I'll get a bow tie made from it.

I passed on an hermes yesterday with almost the same damage. I had to do a double take to see if you were thrifting in Florida. You might have a problem making a bowtie out of that unless you make one side with a different fabric. That tear takes out a big chunk of silk.

Im kicking myself now over selling a lot of like 5 damaged hermes ties a few months ago that I know I could have made bow ties out of.

Last edited:

PdxTony43

Reaction score
About suit grades! One reason I read this thread is that just about every other page there'is some new nugget of information. Just a quick Oh wow didnt know that
so I had to educated myself about suit grades a bit. Here is a quick summary of what I found in shortened form:
Before machines started replacing tailors, mens suits were graded from 1 to 6 in a system that specified the number of hand operations used to create the final product.

For instance, a number 1, the lowest grade of suit, was almost all machine-made.
A number 2 coat could use some handwork to finish the cuffs, collar, and buttons.
A number 3 had to have these three components finished by hand.
A number 6, the highest grade on the scale, was made almost entirely by hand.

(It seems that this grading system is no longer officially used but has evolved into more of a rough reference scale so this is probably a more realistic look)

• Cheap, fused (glued) front mens suits would fall between a one and three grade.

• Moderately priced, off-the-rack mens suits, grade four.

• Expensive, canvas front off-the-rack mens suits, grade five.

• Made to measure canvas front mens suits, grade five.

• Bespoke / bench-made canvas front mens suits, grade six.

[reference:www.mensluxurysuitguide.com since it seems to support the rest of the info I found online but broke it down better]

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
island1_zps2968cd1a.jpg

island2_zps5e2727c1.jpg

island3_zpsdc653119.jpg

Do you live in Cuba or something? I wish I was having this weather right now.

Also, quoting all the images cuz this is too dope.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VP also has a pretty good deal on Borrelli shirts right now. I'm just too used to paying $5.00 for my shirts though that even at a heavy discount I have a hard time paying retail for any clothing items any longer lol
i bought one or two.................

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That picture in the stock image is dated from 2013... Bizarre.

------------

Just met @ocooney for a pair of jeans. Nice guy! I wish I hadn't been so flustered from lack of sleep and the damn cold and I might have actually been able to form a few words...

TJhambone09

Reaction score
Sorry for dumb question, what is VP?

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads