• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We're potentially moving in the next couple of weeks...

I'm concerned because it's going to potentially put me MUCH closer to my two favorite Savers locations.

All you thrifty gents, is Uhaul the best places to get moving boxes?

Check CL first. That's where I got ours for the last move, absolutely free. Think about it: It's almost a bigger PITA getting rid of moving boxes than it is getting them, so they're often pretty easy to find on CL. But, if that doesn't work out for you, I often get boxes from UHaul for shipping clothes in bulk. A large box costs something like $3. And they will happily take back any that you don't use, so you can err on the side of getting too many. Makes things easy.

Last edited:

1ofTheCoolKids

Reaction score
NOW, I know (lesson learned), but we were on a Mediterranean cruise last summer (according to locals, it was much more humid than normal) and being from Southern California (where we live in flip flops) I just thought it would be okay. No worries, whenever I go on cruises, I always buy new clothes along the way as souvenirs and then donate my original wardrobe to the ship staff. The nice people working the boats in the hospitality sector are usually from developing countries and I like to help where I can.
In flip flops?!

Beck

Reaction score
Today was a good day after work I hit the local Goodwill and saw they had a cool scratch-a-discount card. Turns out I got 15% at both stores!

Vintage 1970's Converse All-Stars Black Label U.S.A Sz 10

Versace Mens Eyeglasses

Yves Saint Laurent Womens Sunglasses

Polo ralph lauren cord blazer w/ throat latch Sz L

Last edited:

wcl

Reaction score

Was it made in Italy or the US?

It was made by Piatrefesa. The line was shut down in the early mid 90's I think. I dissected one some time ago. It was fully canvassed and had a bit of handwork. Of the few I have handled they were all well made, but the cut was pretty aggressive. Strong shoulders and such. Actually, here is the pic of the one I gutted.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre purple label line, and that brioni is ........interesting.

LeSacre

Reaction score
Polo ralph lauren cord blazer w/ throat latch Sz L

I believe this is what we call thrift synergy

Finally had a decent haul.

First RLPL. Found them at two different stores.

First Loro Piana (not just their fabric)

Oxxford Tweed

NWT Theory Polo

@Green: I will go by tomorrow and see if the jacket is still there!

@Ejay: You are very welcome

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^that LP shirt at the bottom is *drool*

Last edited:

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
Early this week:

X2 Charvet, Brioni, Zegna, Giorgio Armani

38 Ralph made in Italy flax, 38 Canali, 36 Zanella, 35 Polo made in Italy, 35 Chipp cotton

10D Allen Edmonds, 13M Gucci, X4 exotic skin Mauri, x2 9.5 AA/B Alden

15.5 Borrelli, 15.5 Canali, 17 Canali, Xl Linen Ferragamo

40S silk Samuelsohn, 40S Samuelsohn, 38R/S Brooks Bros, 40R J.press, 40R Oxxford Alpaca, 42R Zegna cashmere/wool

46R Peter Millar unstructured, 48L Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, 46L Faconnable made in Italy

Vintage 36S DB, 36s/r Z Zegna, 40R Austin Reed, 40R J. Press cotton, 36S Tuxedo jacket

Last edited:

almosthandsome

Reaction score
NOW, I know (lesson learned), but we were on a Mediterranean cruise last summer (according to locals, it was much more humid than normal) and being from Southern California (where we live in flip flops) I just thought it would be okay. No worries, whenever I go on cruises, I always buy new clothes along the way as souvenirs and then donate my original wardrobe to the ship staff. The nice people working the boats in the hospitality sector are usually from developing countries and I like to help where I can.

My lesson went the other way. I was hobbling around the cruise port in Falmouth last August in the shoes I thought I'd be fine in barefoot, searching desperately for decent flip-flops. The evidence of my broken lifelong personal ban on flip flops now sits in my shoe rack, Bob Marley branded tire treaded sweet salvation.
rotflmao.gif

Found some repro denim workwear that I thought someone here might be into. H.W. Carter & Sons Vintage. XL.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nat, I'm in your neck if the woods right now, just drove past a goodwill as a matter of fact. No time to stop though:(

Dang, I was out at the stores today too with my wife! If you're rolling back through this way, drop me a line.

I forgot to add my twopence on the Primal Wear jerseys last night...

When I first looked, I thought it was seahorse. Seahorse, cat, what's the difference?

Primal Wear makes decent cycling jerseys. My wife has one of their jerseys and really likes it.

As for value, I think you could get $35-45 for both of those on Ebay if you do a BIN on them. They won't do too well in the auction format though.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads