• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Very, very nice haul. Congrats. You should list them here before you put them on ebay. Less hassle, better buyers.
Well, I just might do that then. I'll need a couple days to sort through my entire collection to see what'll stay and go, as some of these will likely replace some of my existing ties.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: the tie haul, it just speaks to the right place right time nature of thrifting. I had a similar tie haul about 6 months ago, must have picked up 30-40 all in the same store - just got lucky. Persistence pays...

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Um, so ok. I picked up a handful of ties today. Nothing crazy ... at all.
smile.gif

5 x Sulka (3 Limited Edition)
4 x Brioni
3 x Luciano Barbera
3 x Lanvin
2 x Nicky Milano

2 x Gucci
2 x NWT Zegna
1 x NWT Chopard
1 x Turnbull & Asser
1 x Borelli Napoli
1 x Chanel
1 x Etro
1 x Linus
1 x Mulberry
1 x Escada
1 x Villa Bolgheri

1 x Isaia
1 x Varvatos
1 x Versace
1 x Lucio Lamberli

That's 34 ties! I picked them up all at the same SA. They had JUST got a shipment and put them on the rack. It was insane. One tie after another. They just kept coming. I couldn't believe my eyes. All are in excellent to mint condition, with three NWT. The workers were looking at me like I was insane buying so many ties. They said to me: "I guess you like ties." To which I replied: "I definitely like these ties!"

This has been a very good thrifting week for me. First the Isaia waistcoat, then the two Brioni jackets, and now this incredible load of ties. I don't think I'll be buying ties again any time soon. Some of these will be going up on ebay for cheap. I feel bad selling them here b/c I got all 34 ties for less than half of what 1 of them would cost retail. These ties new would retail for around 4-5k!

Would the above be re-sellable on ebay? I'm a brand noob!

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure if it should be under "new purchase" or here.. but I think this thread because I feel these were steals..

off ebay:
SF Lavorazione Tramezza Brown Suede shoes - $77.00 (not sure why they put the taps all over the place <shrugs>)

Picture032.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Zegna Couture XXX Brown Suede Goat leather - $43.00 (barely worn with original box and xtra laces)

Picture035.jpg

Picture036.jpg

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Would the above be re-sellable on ebay? I'm a brand noob!

Just look them up on ebay. Some of them are exceptional, particularly Sulka, Lanvin, Chopard.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Just look them up on ebay. Some of them are exceptional, particularly Sulka, Lanvin, Chopard.

I will buy that midnight blue Brioni tie from you.
Or I will trade it for the nice blue/red herringbone Canali tie I picked up today (4 fold but the lining is very thick so it feels like a 7-fold

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KaiserSose

Reaction score
WTF at NYC being a good place to do thrift shopping. I guess I was just looking in the wrong places, but the prices I encountered were outrageous. For example, in one housing works I found a very nice paul smith shirt... for $45.. at that price I might as well check ebay. Granted I was only looking in Manhattan and mainly at non Goodwill / SA's, but still. From now on I will no longer be shopping at Angela Street, Housing Works, Filene's Basement (lol at this one especially), Spence-Chapin, Cancer Care Thrift and Memorial Sloane Kettering Thrift.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers #1 maroon tie $1.

HatMagnet

Reaction score
Well, It wasn't a thrift store find but I did just win a Pal Zileri sportcoat on ebay for the opening bid of..99 cents.
smile.gif
The shipping is $9.95 though.

mike540

Reaction score
A great week for shirts last week. 3 Brooks Brothers, 1 Eton and 3 Canali, none more than $7 and all mint. All but one were various shades and patterns of blue. I ask myself how many blue shirt variations are too many for one man but at $7 I can't say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members