• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Recently learned that the Goodwills around my area order their employees to:

"Remove any artwork with a signature"

One of the last times I bought a signed watercolor (nothing crazy) the lady at the register was like "Oh im surprised this was put out.. normally we keep all the 'real' stuff in the back."

Needless to say I don't even glance at framed artwork anymore. What a joke lol

not to get too inside baseball and derail the thread, but I try to keep my ear to the ground with how my territory is run.

several years ago a new ceo took over my goodwill district and revamped *everything* and put a focus on e-commerce/shopgoodwill.com. all the managers I’d become friends/friendly with told me they had the same orders, to send all signed artwork to the central warehouse for processing.

he made a bunch of other changes I thought were idiotic but all I could do was laugh and wait for it to all pan out.

well apparently he make such a colossal **** up of the entire thing, the ceo of another district bought out and took over this district. it’s only been a month or so of the new guy but finds at goodwill have improved dramatically.

that said, only the ocean scene was picked out of a goodwill. the rest are smaller independent thrifts.

Last edited:

sandfourman

Reaction score
Recently learned that the Goodwills around my area order their employees to:

"Remove any artwork with a signature"

One of the last times I bought a signed watercolor (nothing crazy) the lady at the register was like "Oh im surprised this was put out.. normally we keep all the 'real' stuff in the back."

Needless to say I don't even glance at framed artwork anymore. What a joke lol
My goodwill focuses more on econ and rarely puts new stuff out at any of the stores anymore. Slimming down staff to. Wouldn't shock me if at some point they close a couple stores too

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to get too inside baseball and derail the thread, but I try to keep my ear to the ground with how my territory is run.

several years ago a new ceo took over my goodwill district and revamped *everything* and put a focus on e-commerce/shopgoodwill.com. all the managers I’d become friends/friendly with told me they had the same orders, to send all signed artwork to the central warehouse for processing.

he made a bunch of other changes I thought were idiotic but all I could do was laugh and wait for it to all pan out.

well apparently he make such a colossal **** up of the entire thing, the ceo of another district bought out and took over this district. it’s only been a month or so of the new guy but finds at goodwill have improved dramatically.

that said, only the ocean scene was picked out of a goodwill. the rest are smaller independent thrifts.

goodwill's gotten real cute , check out the listing history on this gem :

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of our's from church works for Goodwill's e-commerce department, so I got the inside scoop on how things are now run in my area. It explains a lot (hardly any good vinyl, no sunglasses, no jewelry/watches, artwork and the decent clothing finds have been very slim over the past few years). It's a bummer because Goodwill stores make up probably 75% of the thrift stores in my area. Needless to say, I don't thrift nearly as much as I used to.

I did find some cool stuff today out in the wild.

IMG_6209.jpeg

30’s-40’s Velvet Saks coat. Has a few minor condition issues, but I couldn’t leave it behind.
IMG_6210.jpeg

IMG_6211.jpeg

IMG_6213.jpeg
IMG_6214.jpeg
IMG_6215.jpeg
IMG_6216.jpeg
IMG_6217.jpeg
IMG_6218.jpeg
IMG_6220.jpeg

Stopped at a thrift on the way home and found one of the coolest jackets I’ve stumbled across in awhile. 30’s-40’s. Double breasted with patch pockets. Action back with a half belt. Best part? It fits!

IMG_6206.jpeg

IMG_6207.jpeg
IMG_6208.jpeg

RFHansen

Reaction score
Finding Open walks true thrift is wild.

I've battered my pair, they look like a suede nut sack all wrinkly now. Maybe I need some of that Ball Toner from Frenchy on them.

True that. I think I have found less than ten LP items total in all my years of thrifting. I paid 0.5% of retail for these, so I can't complain.

RFHansen

Reaction score
The small shop with the discount just yielded a tie today. But the lady was kind enough to take me out back (save your lewd comments) and show me what comes on the shelves next week. Spotted two PZ suits and two pairs of Tod's loafers. See ya Tuesday! I told them.

This is the part of town where houses cost $5+ million, so people are loaded. A local real estate broker has a house listed for $36 million, which is astronomical even for that area.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True that. I think I have found less than ten LP items total in all my years of thrifting. I paid 0.5% of retail for these, so I can't complain.

Let me know if you find any others in 42 sizing please. Like slipping your feet into a supple leather foot sack.

starwarsocean

Reaction score
I’ve been lucky enough to find a fair bit of LP especially with estate sales, but only pair of summer/open walk shoes I’ve found was in Dallas at a Buffalo exchange of all things for $150

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Night shift. Took over an hour to finally become piss drunk with milk and pass out.

IMG_0210.jpeg

Wouldn't mind hitting a few stores tomorrow but I'll be zoinked. Happy friday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads