• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_5083.jpeg

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carhartt jackets are quickly becoming the: "If you have that you'll get followed around" type of item. That's why whenever I find one I grab a cart and bury it deep under a few Izod polos.
Taking stuff from other shopper's carts is common practice or what? To quote the famous philosopher George Costanza "We are living in a society, we are supposed to act in a civilized way"

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's just certain items where if you grab them other people immediately come over and push up on you (thinking there's more of that item/brand/etc right in front of you). They'll also just hover around and act weird because they want you to put it back or want to look at it more or something.

Sometimes people come over and ask about items and want to know how much it was priced or whatever. I don't like giving the competition any info or tips so they can try and look all they want but my stuff is getting covered with a big XXL t shirt or something.

I've had a lady follow me around for an Osprey bag one time.. like trailed me around the entire store waiting for me to put it back lol. Older women are always trying to make small talk and etc when I find a hand-knotted rug or a Pendleton blanket. Doesn't matter how they come at you or what they say.. Bottom line is they want the item you have.

Yes I've had an item stolen out of my cart one time before at a store grand opening and it was a rare Jersey right on top for all to see.. It's not a very regular occurrence but if you have an item worth hundreds and the wrong person sees it they'll grab it, especially in more competitive urban settings.

The kid who did it is a regular vintage flipper kid. In that particular case I posted up at the entrance and watched every single item that was transacted and eventually he dumped the item in women's wear cause it was too hot.. got the item back. So yes when you get a banger item you best bury that thing deep - especially considering most of this younger generation has no morals they just want the hype stuff and profit.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's just certain items where if you grab them other people immediately come over and push up on you (thinking there's more of that item/brand/etc right in front of you). They'll also just hover around and act weird because they want you to put it back or want to look at it more or something.

Sometimes people come over and ask about items and want to know how much it was priced or whatever. I don't like giving the competition any info or tips so they can try and look all they want but my stuff is getting covered with a big XXL t shirt or something.

I've had a lady follow me around for an Osprey bag one time.. like trailed me around the entire store waiting for me to put it back lol. Older women are always trying to make small talk and etc when I find a hand-knotted rug or a Pendleton blanket. Doesn't matter how they come at you or what they say.. Bottom line is they want the item you have.

Yes I've had an item stolen out of my cart one time before at a store grand opening and it was a rare Jersey right on top for all to see.. It's not a very regular occurrence but if you have an item worth hundreds and the wrong person sees it they'll grab it, especially in more competitive urban settings.

The kid who did it is a regular vintage flipper kid. In that particular case I posted up at the entrance and watched every single item that was transacted and eventually he dumped the item in women's wear cause it was too hot.. got the item back. So yes when you get a banger item you best bury that thing deep - especially considering most of this younger generation has no morals they just want the hype stuff and profit.
People should read more Kant. I only shop for personal, and since I don't need much stuff I haven't been checking out the thrifts in a while. Having said that, I fathom seeing other people taking stuff from someone else's cart, or stalk them in the shop here in Sweden.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the most part people are casual and not paying much attention to you. It's when you find some real good valuable item where people start to hover around and get weird. I've found vintage Schwinn bicycles, antique oak desks, persian rugs, etc before where nobody was around the area and then right after I pull the thing out there's 5 people milling around and looking it up on their phones lol.

I call this the "chicken peck effect". If you've ever kept or watched chickens - When one finds a worm the rest all become aware and rush over to steal it. Don't be a chicken pecker! And when you're the chicken that finds a big juicy worm you best gulp that thing down or hide it quick.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice catch. I am no expert, but this is a legit brand and should be worth some $. Thrift price?
Of course.
Didn't run but i wound it and helped the balance wheel along and it seems to be coming to life.
Sometimes the oils need to start circulating.
Gonna have the crystal cleaned up and oiled if need be.
Now should I go with a burgundy or black croc.
I'm.thinking black

sandfourman

Reaction score
I see a fair amount of carhartt but I think only the older made in usa ones are worth money?
Not if depop and grailed have anything to say I've seen some sell for prices that confuse me even a local reselling store takes new ones as long as they look worn in.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PGRoadhouse

Reaction score
better believe i threw a t shirt over this guy as soon as it was in my cart -
IMG_6656.jpeg

although surely any would be cart thieves would face terrible retribution from the ancestral spirits protecting it
IMG_6657.jpeg

late 19th/early 20th century african reliquary or effigy, carved wood wrapped in copper and brass.
IMG_6658.jpeg

the base broke and someone was like welp, toss it in the savers box! unbelievable.
IMG_6659.jpeg

seems like a pretty variable market, from tourist tchotchkes to museum pieces but the details and patina on this one are promising. needs a good wipedown but i’m hesitant to clean it any more aggressively than that… anybody have experience with these?

Attachments

• IMG_6660.jpeg
    IMG_6660.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 28

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads