• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My patience for wading through ties is diminishing greatly. Is it purely a by touch venture for you experienced guys?

Touch and looking for nice patterns.

I don’t wear ties except on the rarest occasion, but they’re great for selling as they’re quick to photograph and list, and take up very little space.

wcl

Reaction score
a lil tie thriftening is a nice note to end the year on-
View attachment 2098917

All the Hermes I have found I have never seen one with a cassette tape watermark. That is pretty cool.

IMG_5965.jpeg

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My patience for wading through ties is diminishing greatly. Is it purely a by touch venture for you experienced guys?
I use "the force" mostly. After a while, you can just sense the ones to further investigate.

I have enough Hermès, Zegna, brioni, Ricci, Charvet, Kiton, Canali, RT 7 fold, etc to choke a horse and I barely ever wear ties... But they're like works of art. So I still look through the tie racks.

I had over 14 Hermès ties, but sold 12 to a fellow member who actually wears them for work in NYC. Seemed like a better use than me gleefully admiring them. Lol

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few things. nothing exciting. How old is this star wars a new hope shirt? Thinking late 90s? Maybe for the whole "phantom menace" craze? No date, but also no website address. Hard to find Comps for it.

It became my cousin's Christmas present. It matches his original star wars bed sheets which he still uses... much to the dismay of his wife. Lol!

And a topo designs button down for personal.

20231224_172032.jpg
20231223_153623.jpg

20231223_153639.jpg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys how do feel about people filling up a cart with anything that “could” be something and then sitting at the back of the store looking up solds and comps.

For the third time, I saw this guy today just rip through the racks and dismantle the store only to put 80% of it back.

Ive never seen this style of working it before. Is it normal in the US?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only pickup today. Linen.

IMG_6105.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys how do feel about people filling up a cart with anything that “could” be something and then sitting at the back of the store looking up solds and comps.

For the third time, I saw this guy today just rip through the racks and dismantle the store only to put 80% of it back.

If he put it back, he’s ahead of the curve.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dorothy ,you're not in Kansas anymore.
You're gonna see some wild and whacky things.

starwarsocean

Reaction score

I do a lot of taking stuff that are borderline and then depending on PPU put them back if they aren't worth it with everything else I have.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will take anything I think I might buy but often look through after for damage or similar. I no longer take a cart when I go to stores as the amount of times I buy more than two or three items is pretty small. But if I find for example three sportcoats I will then get a wagon for the rest of my shopping. While I rarely look up comps at this point every once in a while it happens. I will also grab orphaned suit coats while I look through the pants rack.
Having said all that, the truth is I really only buy very high level stuff now or something lesser for personal or family use. And I usually move through a store pretty quickly as I would rather hit more stores in the time I have then make sure I check every shirt. I am sure I miss a few high level items this way but as is only a hobby for me I am limited in how much time I can spend.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My other Christmas present. Also bought from the realreal. Not as cheap as the Kitons but pretty close.
IMG_20231227_184511.jpg
IMG_20231227_184640.jpg
IMG_20231227_184551.jpg
IMG_20231227_184700.jpg

Unstructured and very light weight. Hopefully I will get some use out of this here in Dallas.
IMG_20231227_184342.jpg

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
The longer we do this, the easier it gets. It's just another skill set.

@Centaurus3200 says he uses "the force", and that's one way of saying it. With the exception of Pancaldi ties (which are loudly obvious), most of the better ties have subtle patterns that become easily recognizable, and their hand is a quick confirmation. I think we all try to guess the maker before we turn the label over.

Unfortunately for new folks there is literally no substitute for putting the time in thrifting to get the feel for it. When I started, I went to Neiman Marcus etc., just to examine the ties. I even went to Charvet in Paris when I was there. (INSANE experience, BTW. Talk about sensory overload!). Compare those to the crap at Kohl's. The only way you'll develop a laser eye for the good stuff is to get your eyes and hands on it.

So by now, I don't spend any more than a 30 seconds to a minute on the tie section, because that's all it takes to pick up a clue or two. If I see/find something worthwhile, it always triggers a closer investigation. We all know that flippable tie singletons are rare, as we have found that high-end ties come in groups, probably because they're donated by one person. If nothing jumps out at me, I quickly move on, because I don't care if I miss a singleton.

Much as @Woofa says, the pickings (of GOOD stuff) in thrifts has become progressively more slim, and so time is the greatest commodity. My thrift evaluations (that I still do "dutifully") have gotten faster and faster as I have found I get much more mileage from estates and auctions.

As @Fueco noted, ties are fun because they're quick, profitable and, amazingly, still sell well if they're good. I guess it's an easy way for a guy to change up his suited appearance at relatively low cost.

So always check, but quickly. If you limit your kops only to ties you would actually wear (i.e. that don't suck), you'll get most of the way there. Just my 2¢ . . .

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on this? Couldnt find a maker on it. Couple minor moth spots. Big boy 2X. Gut says yes. Decided to leave it due to more moth holes I found. Any ideas on maker by tags??
IMG_2962.jpeg
IMG_2961.jpeg

IMG_2964.jpeg

Sadly pop catch and release due to moths also.

IMG_2959.jpeg IMG_2960.jpeg

Picked up these though…
IMG_2965.jpeg IMG_2966.jpeg
Reversible vest
IMG_2967.jpeg
IMG_2968.jpeg IMG_2969.jpeg IMG_2970.jpeg
Hoping the chester moves ok

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads