• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

goatamous II

Reaction score
20230614_222952.jpg 20230614_222925.jpg

Conclusive

Reaction score
20230614_220752.jpg
20230614_221303.jpg
20230614_221312.jpg

Stopped by a local Goodwill I hadn't been to in months because of the general lack of quality.

Some of these have the dreaded wool shine, but I'm going to see if there's any way to restore them. Given how wrinkled and stained some of these are, you'd think they were taken out of a trash compactor 😬

PGRoadhouse

Reaction score
Let's see a pic of the back of the case,the back of the bracelet and the end links of the bracelet.
2EC74DE2-8711-4158-9D77-8BC664E508C3.jpeg

9B3BBF84-4855-45E2-85B1-9EABD0F1E249.jpeg

the jubilee bracelet is a bit funky, possibly not the original, possibly just old possibly a replica (no end stamps)
9D98C4EA-FC43-4A75-976D-D4C48AB51EE0.jpeg

Though carving one’s name onto the clasp seems pretty on brand for a young dude in the 60s getting his first serious timepiece. nb a google search returned two potentially relevant G. Krupps: a Papal Knight out of long island and a recently deceased politico/executive type from North Carolina. Both are likely Watch Guys (the Knight a confirmed WG, thanks to a highly cursed photo of him lunching with Newt Gingrich)
5C7C2AB0-E700-4FEF-A45F-2A2D2FBC4D95.jpeg

wound it basically by accident yesterday and it’s still running like, well, a Swiss watch.
4F1B1109-71AB-4C2D-B438-6B69D7917725.jpeg

the plain swiss attribution threw me initially, but after some research it seems fairly common on older models- and the lume wear on the hands is consistent with vintage 60s pieces. Also apparently pieces from this era were made not with sapphire crystal but with acrylic crystal (and must be replaced with the same)
D5DBAF7D-FF86-49B4-8785-E1B5BE34D16C.jpeg

the hyphenate Oyster Perpetual was the toughest element to track down, might be an early 60s specific detail? the hodinkee watch i linked has it, as does Newmans Datejust in The Color of Money (smooth case on his rather than engine tuned tho)
This is the kind of thing that you impatiently want done, but half assing it and carving a big scratch in the case or dropping it and messing up internals is worse so be patient and do it right if you don't have the tools.

Assume it's real and treat it as such until you know for certain!
yes to all this. had my leatherman out in the store ready try and pry open the back before i came to my senses. There’s a local jeweler i’m pretty sure will open it up for me, I’ll update this afternoon

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That case has drilled lugs the bracelet is so easy easy to take off just stick a pin in the hole ,a sim card pin should do and you will know right away

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@PGRoadhouse "wound it basically by accident yesterday and it’s still running like, well, a Swiss watch"____ dont wind a perpetual it runs on your constant wrist movement and if it stops after 12 hours or so of not wearing turn the crown to the left 10 ish turns and reset the time and screw back down 10 turns to the right after reset

What does perpetual mean on a Rolex?

Rolex Oyster Perpetual: 5 Things to Know | The Watch Club by ...

The word Perpetual comes from Rolex's Perpetual self-winding movement, invented by Rolex in 1931. The mechanism keeps the watch's mainspring under continuous tension, thus giving it a stable source of energy.

Last edited:

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in the world of so many fakes and the fact this thing is BEAT, i initially thought FAKE... but the fact someone engraved their name in it means it meant something to them, so hmmm...
post it on the vintage watch forum on facebook. given, most morons will just blurt out FAKE! BUT there's an equal amount of knowledgeable people who will give you experienced advice. they'll wanna see the movement though.

if real, get a real rolex crystal. the case can be polished. that's if you're gonna keep it. if selling, ask the facebook group if polishing hurts the value.

i would have bought it too. probably BECAUSE it's so beat. if it was in perfect condition, i'd think WHY??? but beat to hell, there's a chance someone just thought it was a POS old watch. actually better odds it's real in this condition IMHO.

i'd personally keep it if real. it's a hell of a thrift trophy and it's understated enough where you won't get rolled for it.

View attachment 1974757
View attachment 1974761
the jubilee bracelet is a bit funky, possibly not the original, possibly just old possibly a replica (no end stamps)
View attachment 1974759
Though carving one’s name onto the clasp seems pretty on brand for a young dude in the 60s getting his first serious timepiece. nb a google search returned two potentially relevant G. Krupps: a Papal Knight out of long island and a recently deceased politico/executive type from North Carolina. Both are likely Watch Guys (the Knight a confirmed WG, thanks to a highly cursed photo of him lunching with Newt Gingrich)
View attachment 1974767
wound it basically by accident yesterday and it’s still running like, well, a Swiss watch.
View attachment 1974763
the plain swiss attribution threw me initially, but after some research it seems fairly common on older models- and the lume wear on the hands is consistent with vintage 60s pieces. Also apparently pieces from this era were made not with sapphire crystal but with acrylic crystal (and must be replaced with the same)
View attachment 1974765
the hyphenate Oyster Perpetual was the toughest element to track down, might be an early 60s specific detail? the hodinkee watch i linked has it, as does Newmans Datejust in The Color of Money (smooth case on his rather than engine tuned tho)

yes to all this. had my leatherman out in the store ready try and pry open the back before i came to my senses. There’s a local jeweler i’m pretty sure will open it up for me, I’ll update this afternoon

Last edited:

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going for real on that Rolex - it’s old enough to pre-date their emergence as a significant status symbol and thus the explosion of counterfeits, and the photos look encouraging.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
View attachment 1974757
View attachment 1974761
View attachment 1974759
View attachment 1974767
View attachment 1974763
View attachment 1974765

Great find! Looking forward to finding out if its the real deal.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst we’re on watches - was lucky enough to score this for less than the price of a pizza. Really enjoying
04327C1E-22F3-4119-B927-666C28B70074.jpeg
wearing it, and the clothing link makes it all the more interesting…

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caught someone's vinyl collection today. Out of about 90-100+ albums I stacked in my cart, apparently only 18 were good enough to come home:

1-7.JPG

Not a big Toto fan.. im not even really sure what they sound like, but nice condition. The unlabeled one is Santana.

1-6.JPG

And then this was an exciting lot to find - 8 Pink Floyd all together. Not sure about the Jimmy Paige but wasn't leaving it.

There was a crapload of Van Morrison and Santana. I counted 24 Santana albums. Tempting to get everything but at $3 each and in mixed conditions I had to be picky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads