• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yoooo my size too

027945FA-ACE0-43C5-B754-1CA93CB64574.jpeg

Last edited:

Juntao90

Reaction score
3 times I’ve been in the thrift store and watched someone take one of those to the register. It was especially annoying because I had been looking for one for personal use. Finally sucked it up and bought a different cordless vacuum at retail, which I hate doing.

Funny story actually and I do feel a bit bad for reneging, but a very aggressive jewelry regular saw me with it. He told me he wanted it badly and that he has dogs etc. I had no idea if it worked and was on the fence about taking a chance on it, and he said he would take the chance and legit takes it and puts it in his cart. I didn’t like that one bit and decided to say that I’m going to buy it for sure.

He was going out of his way to exclaim that there’s no suction and that the battery is most likely fully dead. Just saying stuff so I’d leave it.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello thrift thread. Forgive my long absence, I've been consumed with school and work.

However, I couldn't leave you guys out of the loop today...

I found two super-vintage Hardy Aimes suits. Not amazing quality, but interesting vintage style and Donegal fabrics... with matching sweater vests! Never seen that before. Annnd, cheaply priced.

So, sure, I figured. Good flips.

And then, while damage checking, $2000 in cash fell out of a trouser pocket.

View attachment 1812248

I didn't know how much it was at first. I just saw the first hundred in a rubber band and snatched it up in a split second.

Checked out with my pulse hammering. Fully expected them to be prop bills.

Got to car, counted them out, shat bricks.

View attachment 1812249

$22 well spent. Praised be the Thrift Gods

That’s awesome! Best I’ve done is $100 bill in a pair of Polo cargo shorts I bought for personal use. However, there was an estate sale a number of years back that was a long drive and I didn’t feel like making the trek. I clued in a friend who lived in the area and told him he should check it out. He calls me and asks me if “Townclad” is a good brand. I told him it’s a 40’s-50’s Penney’s label and he should grab it if it’s in good shape and reasonably priced. I think he paid $15. When he got it home he said he was looking for a size label and found a pill bottle in the inside pocket. In the pill bottle was $100 bills all
rolled up. $3,000 total. Really wish I had made that hour long drive….haha.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Here’s my contribution to the discussion:

Story time...

We've been under lockdown for over a month now, so I've been trying to utilize time to improve organization. That led me to a box on a shelf.

A couple of months ago, I went to an antique market a couple of hours from my house. Love that type of stuff. Anyway, first table in and I spot a terrier figurine. I'm nuts for terriers, but it wasn't a Wire Fox nor Airedale, so I was on the fence. I waited for the seller to finish the conversation he was having, but needed to move on.

I figured I'd swing by at the end and see whether it was left. By the end, I stopped by and he told me it had sold. Not a huge deal, I wasn't in love with it. I always tell these guys that if they come across old terrier stuff, I'm an interested buyer. I offer to exchange numbers. He immediately said no. Okay, I thought, some don't want to give out their numbers. "Mind if I leave mine?," I ask. Nope, not interested.

Okay, done deal. He wasn't too friendly and wasn't interested. As I'm about to leave, he goes "there's a dog figurine in that box" and nods to a box on the ground filled with newspaper and odds and ends. I bend down to take a look at it and he goes "Either take the whole box or leave it. It's €20." I think on it for a moment and just hand over €20. It's a gamble, and it seemed like a cheap thrill. I want to secure the dog wherever it is so get to the bottom and see it in pieces. I start to tell the guy that it's broken, but he cuts me off with "It's a done deal, you bought it." I'm not one to argue, so I take my box off to the car.

At the car, I look through it and realize that I had just bought this guy's garbage. The stuff that he wouldn't keep was put in this box and it was probably going to the dumpster when he packed up for the day. I debated marching back to him, but, if I had to be honest, he was right. I hadn't looked at the stuff to even see what I was buying. Whether he was rude or even intended to swindle me, I should have at least glanced at it.

I brought it back to my office and set it on my "to sort" shelves and went about my life. Fast forward to lockdown and I get to that shelf.

It's all junk. A couple of broken picture frames, the aforementioned dog, a cracked leather belt, etc. I grab a worn out leather wallet from the bottom, flip it open to see whether it's anything, and though nice, it's old and nothing else.

I toss it to the side in the "get rid of" pile and in the microsecond between it leaving my hand and hitting the pile, my brain calculated that it was far too heavy.

I grab it again and examine it a bit closer. In the tiny side pocket that was originally meant to carry stamps, I pull out a coin:

View attachment 1512274

And then another on the other side:

View attachment 1512275

View attachment 1512273

Sure enough, two mint 1oz gold coins with a combined value of at least around €3,000. Unfortunately, I don't have that guy's phone number to tell him.

Despite this, I'm still looking for a jacket with gold buttons!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads