• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you camera nerds have tips on avoiding messed-up cameras? I'm always scared I won't see the lens is scratched or the mechanics aren't functioning.
For scratches, or for other internal issues (like fungus or excessive dust) you can shine a small flashlight up through the lens from either end. It should make most of those issues very apparent. Be sure to check both directions. This assumes that we're talking about removable lenses for dslr/mirrorless. If we're talking about fixed lens cameras, it is much harder to check. As for the camera mechanics on battery operated cameras, I've got nothing since almost all batteries are proprietary these days. If anybody does, I'm all ears.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For scratches, or for other internal issues (like fungus or excessive dust) you can shine a small flashlight up through the lens from either end. It should make most of those issues very apparent. Be sure to check both directions. This assumes that we're talking about removable lenses for dslr/mirrorless. If we're talking about fixed lens cameras, it is much harder to check. As for the camera mechanics on battery operated cameras, I've got nothing since almost all batteries are proprietary these days. If anybody does, I'm all ears.

My thought on the batteries is that it depends on what the camera is worth compared with the cost. If it’s a $100 camera priced at $50, I’m not bothering. But if it’s a $500+ camera? I’ll take the chance.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thought on the batteries is that it depends on what the camera is worth compared with the cost. If it’s a $100 camera priced at $50, I’m not bothering. But if it’s a $500+ camera? I’ll take the chance.
I agree, I'd be the same. Sadly, I don't expect to see any more $500+ cameras in my neck of the woods. GW has taken out their glass cases, and anything that used to be worth putting in there seems to go straight to the internet. I don't like cutting out the middle man when I am the middle man.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. Any vintage electronics or high end anything gets pulled aside for their online auctions. Doesn’t even get a chance to hit the floor. I can’t even remember the last time I saw a decent camera or nice stereo gear at the Goodwill. Sucks because they sort of have a monopoly on the thrift scene here.

LaundryRoom

Reaction score
Went to a new shop today, old people's church thrift. Picked up these nice Turnbull & Asser ties...

IMG_4767.JPG

IMG_4768.JPG

Two of the same pans. I'll keep one for personal.

IMG_4766.JPG

IMG_4765.JPG

And finally a Pop! for me...

IMG_4764.JPG

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sandfourman

Reaction score
Pop. I've been hunting this brand for so long....
View attachment 1919679

Damn, it's nwt from my favorite prepandemic store too... Rip.
View attachment 1919681
remember going to totokaelo my first time in nyc right out highschool. last time going i went to type it in on google maps only to see the sad news. hits harder as its definitely become more my style as i get older.

florent

Reaction score
Hi All! I'm going to Paris for the first time in a month or so for a few days. Are there any recommendations for second-hand shops / thrifts that one might be interested in? Sorry if it's been discussed, but I tried to search the thread but "Paris Thrifts" obviously wasn't particularly helpful form a search keywords point of view. Thanks!
I concur with what has been wrote before, Paris isn't the best place for thrifting. The local main charity shop chain is Emmaus but in the city the stores are small and sometimes overpriced. It's worth a visit if you stumble upon one but don't take a detour for that.

There are also some nice high end curated thrifts but priced accordingly, if you're looking to buy for yourself.

Feel free to PM me if you need further advices

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to say, if anyone is looking for a tough as nails flight bag, that Filson tote I picked up in January is perfect.
Small enough to count as a personal item but big enough for almost anything.

10/10

6F735F60-B975-405C-8835-11E8C99EE217.jpeg

SCoNE

Reaction score
One of my favorites topics, I have not been since Feb 2020, google Paris thrifts for up to date reviews, that said. Very few bargains but luck, timing and luck still rules, Peepstars, hippy market, noir Kennedy, Beach something are a few I liked in the greater Marais, generally where I stay. Bonne chance and here is a link with some local insight

From my personal perspective, Paris thrifting is few and pretty expensive. The only thing I know that was fun was Kilo Shop.

Isn't @florent en France? Perhaps he could shed some light.

Agreed, Kilo Shop was the best I found during my trips to Paris in 2019 and 2020.

I concur with what has been wrote before, Paris isn't the best place for thrifting. The local main charity shop chain is Emmaus but in the city the stores are small and sometimes overpriced. It's worth a visit if you stumble upon one but don't take a detour for that.

There are also some nice high end curated thrifts but priced accordingly, if you're looking to buy for yourself.

Feel free to PM me if you need further advices

Thanks All! Super helpful. Yes, mainly would be looking for personal use so the curated thrifts might be okay--we'll see if my notions regarding cost in Paris being high still fall short of the mark.

I've started following "Bestshopsintown" on Instagram and they've given me a few ideas including:
Les Enfants de D'Edouard
Chato Lufsen

Both apparently have at least some high end / super curated second hand but seems like they'd be interesting even just to see.

florent

Reaction score
Thanks All! Super helpful. Yes, mainly would be looking for personal use so the curated thrifts might be okay--we'll see if my notions regarding cost in Paris being high still fall short of the mark.

I've started following "Bestshopsintown" on Instagram and they've given me a few ideas including:
Les Enfants de D'Edouard
Chato Lufsen

Both apparently have at least some high end / super curated second hand but seems like they'd be interesting even just to see.
Chato Lufsen is super pricey but they have great collector pieces (in particular from Arnys) so definitely worth a visit. I don't know Les Enfants d'Edouard but they are apparently located in Brussels 🙃

Other options to consider: Thx God I'm VIP near République Place, Simmon's in the south-east (Gobelin subway station) and Chez Ammar in the north-west (La Fourche subway station).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads