• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been MIA on here lately because I have been finding garbage exclusively. But look what my wife made!

I get to be this little girl’s dad. Her name is Lillian and so far she’s the best.
View attachment 1004140

Congrats! That’s fantastic! I have 5 and I know what you mean — they are the best.

Randomore

Reaction score
Hey guys! Been keeping up with thread and thrifting here and there but the new job got me a lot busier than anticipated.

Now that I'm moving to reduce my commute for the new job, I realized just how much stuff I've accumulated. Stashing boxes and storage containers in any space I could and totally forgetting about it until now. I feel like I'm thrifting my own supply now having completely forgotten about things from the last couple of years. It's actually kind of fun opening things up not knowing what's inside.

I'm on a similar boat as @Nobleprofessor and wanted to see if anyone here wanted to take this on. I haven't even remotely started to inventory things but it's a few hundred items ranging from mid-tier to higher end stuff while thrifting in LA. DM me if interested.

Sorry to clog up the thread! I'll post this mornings finds shortly once I figure out how to upload multiple pictures.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also important to note that the combination last on J&M is written the opposite of Alden. In Alden, size 9 B/D would be a 9D. In J&M, the first letter indicates the width of the shoe. So, the 9.5 D/B in your picture would be a 9.5D.

Exactly right. J&M will have a style number that starts with 24-xxx or 15-xxx or a few others. The Melton cap toe (the most popular seller) is 22-2985. Alden will have three digit style numbers for their classic styles like 681 (Full Strap Loafer), 664 Tassel. The used to have four digits and that meant they were old. But, some of the new style have 4 digits too.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I would like to give a huge shoutout to all the regulars here for the continuing education.
I saw these shoes:
View attachment 1004141
I liked the look and flipped them over:
View attachment 1004142
Saw the heels and threw them in the cart. Didn't have to try to dig through that nasty stuck down insole to try to figure out what they were. Honestly, didn't even pick up that they were horse butt until I looked at them closer when inspecting everything in my cart.
View attachment 1004143
My size (thanks to wonky Alden sizing)

Speaking of horse butt, going to make a lot more on this dressage saddle than everything else I picked up today:
View attachment 1004144
Don't know why my phone got all artsy B&W on me for that one.
Then some great tweeds:
View attachment 1004147
Not flipping tees, but this was in with the dress shirts, vintage blue note Hef-T
View attachment 1004149 View attachment 1004148
SuSu x7
View attachment 1004152
BR-great flannel in my size, and same on VV, fantastic pattern.
View attachment 1004150
View attachment 1004151
Thank Hou!

CONGRATS, MAIN MAN!

IMO you’re one of the most informative posters. Your haul post have given me a bunch of brands to look out for in the thrifts. The blue note shirt is fantastic as well.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[USER=240553]@Nobleprofessor
Thanks for the mention. :cheers:

While i might make Ace Ventura look like a gentleman. the thrift is something deep. connected. sentient.
it's a feeling. you know where things are. before you see them. moreover. you can summon items.
find what you want to find.

and i only thrift for what's interesting,wanted,or needed.

Glad to have helped you. or anyone. You, are a compass. a true north.
a sound mind. the pleasure is in being able to talk with what seems to be the most honest, knowledgable, competitive, tit for tat, all cards on the table group of guys on the internet.

love or hate each other. we are all players in the game.[/USER]

@Thrift Vader you are a poet - A writer with the soul of thrifter.

Clearly your user name is perfect as you evidently use the force to thrift.

Randomore

Reaction score
Someone’s Alden rotation in my size 11.5D Barry last I think. Probably keeping two pairs and making the mid avail.
42CAA202-6F10-4504-9E15-66CA7BC62D23.jpeg

Super minty Kamakuras.
RRL officer overdyed officer chinos.
Some sort of special edition G star pents.
GV in a M.
All avail.
93D68F6F-E27C-4B55-890F-C5FFF045394F.jpeg

eaeden

Reaction score
Yo, folks- headed to London for (decidedly not tailoring oriented) work. I know no one likes to give up a secret honey hole, but can you point me towards some better known consignment type spots that won’t blow up your spot? Like a luxe swap or a gentleman’s resale?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers, thriftbros! I’m enjoying a Marooned (Red IPA) at Twisted Pine while reading a free book (Anthony Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential) on my free Kindle (my wife’s company paid for them both).

BA6D806D-EF3A-48C1-91B7-9FA997D07680.jpeg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, thriftbros! I’m enjoying a Marooned (Red IPA) at Twisted Pine while reading a free book (Anthony Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential) on my free Kindle (my wife’s company paid for them both).

View attachment 1004349

171928AB-C3BB-4E71-A957-F0BDDB203F95.jpeg

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Went back today and got there just in time to see two dumpy looking women walking out with the chairs. Looked like the kind of ladies with a booth at an antique mall where the chairs will sit for the next ten years with a tag that says "vintage chrome chairs pair $700 FIRM" :fu:

Also spotted this commercial steamer at my local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store (highly recommend these if you have one, lots of good household stuff there).
IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads