• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found a pair just like that today, then picked them up and noticed they were terrible fakes. No branding, Euro sizing stamped onto the sole and no labels anyway. Oh well. Maybe someday....

Around here, 30-45 mins ahead of the start time will put you at or near the front of the line. Most the people there that early aren't usually looking for clothing, either. Don't know if it's done other places, but here, people will put down a marker(some random object) as a place holder and go back to their car until a few minutes before the start. Surprisingly, everyone seems to respect the spot markers.

Man...that must be nice. Around here, you better plan on sleeping in your car. 2-3 hours before the sale opens. Then get inside and everything is priced above retail. There was a $750 Zegna suit that was at least 15 years old at a sale a few weeks ago. Saw a $85 Isaia tie last week. I've about given up on these. I have no idea how they sell anything (the ones up here anyway).

jumpman1231

Reaction score
IMG_1748.PNG
IMG_1745.PNG
IMG_1744.PNG
I'm gonna be in Phoenix on a quick trip next month. Any recommendations on best thrifts there? Best consignment stores? Feel free to pm me. Thanks! Here's a few pants highlights lately.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of feel like that last post crosses the line into a commercial, "hey, buy my stuff", sort of thing.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of feel like that last post crosses the line into a commercial, "hey, buy my stuff", sort of thing.

He sends to Snoogz and always posts them that way. Don't see an issue, personally.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a proud dumpster diver. It never ceases to amaze me how wasteful we are here in the US. Though it used to be a lot worse before the popularity of eBay put dollar signs in everyone's eyes, people still throw out a lot of great stuff. About 10 years ago, I pulled out a bunch of vintage yard tools from a garbage can. Shoves, rakes, brooms, etc. Saved me $200+ and these are way better than the crap that you'll find at Home Depot.

15-20 years ago, I'd find record albums in the trash on a fairly regular basis. Nobody wanted em. I'd start my walk to school early so in case I found something on the way there, I'd have time to bring it back home and still get to school on time. I've picked up crates of mint records (Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Hendrix) off the curbside.

I'm honestly not sure which came First for me, DD or thrifting. My dad bought a truck entirely with funds from rescued scrap metal and cans. One of my favorite finds was a 75 pound brick of lead. I got $7.50 for that workout! Not bad when you're 12...

leisurewear

Reaction score
Good value on staple c&j black cap toes in good shape for anybody a 10D.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263076096401

Also if we had a competition on highest sold price on a used VV short sleeve polo would I win?

Fun fact if you search "vineyard vines polo" and filter on pre owned short sleeve this ranks 7th (not including lots) when you sort by highest price. 1st if for pique cotton. pretty proud of this actually haha:smarmy:

IMG_0566.jpg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
So @Thrift Vader and I were talking and playing Battlefield 1 this morning and we ended up talking about how much we both want to piss off stuffy old Rolls Royce drivers.
We had an idea of turning a mid 70s/early 80s Roller into a rad rod style with rusted wheel arches and blacked out paint, gold spirit of ecstasy and slamming it.

I'm a man of my word, and no matter how long my word takes to fullfil its promise, it gets done.
So... I will say this here, so it's permanently etched into the interwebs that I, Purplelabel of England, will thrift a Rolls Royce. (Using thrift profits)

I could find a table that is 600k and buy it next month or it could take 5 years... It will be done.

Haha, that was an awesome chat. i drank half a bottle of whiskey while we were talking. :cheers:

The one you found and sent me was super nice. in the gaudiest colorway. can you post it up?

so fellas, the build we discussed was actually a future build i want to do. but it's ok if @Purplelabel beats me to it.

A 1980 ish Silver Shadow. running a Toyota 1gz, 5 liter V12, or a 1uz 4 liter v8. Toyota transmission, Rolls diff,custom tailshaft.
Straight pipes with glass pack mufflers.
bolt pattern conversion to 114.3 (Toyota fitment = wheel choices)
remade wiring loom (old English wiring is no bueno).
maybe the Ls400/Celsior big monoblock 4 pot brakes up front? Nissan Brembo's?.
Rolls stock rear brakes.

-essentially making it reliable, and powerful with modern engine technology. using readily available cheap/Thrifted parts.

style? all edges, and panels partially sanded, rusted with beer,then sanded and clearcoated.
deep dish rims, like "Work LM's" and slightly lower than stock.

= Badass daily driver Rolls Royce rat rod. code name: "The Def Star".
for less than a ford fiesta.

Last edited:

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
@SpooPoker or anyone else who goes to estate sales...how early should I show up for a decent one?

There are pretty much two strands of activity for these: the first-thing instakops, and the rest. The instakops are a function of the first 5-15 minutes of the sale. The rest is pretty random, and is often best done right before the end, on the last day.

Agreed that most people are not there looking for men's clothing. However, you are always taking the risk that someone just like you has got there early, and the grails are gone. Of course, mostly they're not there to begin with, unless you've got the perfect demographic, but that's always how it messes with your head.

Typically, I thoroughly interview the seller to see what's there (if they'll respond, which often they don't). I always try to get prices up front so I know whether it's worth it. They often don't like to do that, but I normally live in the boonies, so I tell them it's a long drive, and they usually relent. If there are grails there, you need to be there at the crack of dawn, certainly amongst the first 5-10 people. Everyone who hits estate sales (in the early crowd) always have a specialty: jewelry, watches, figurines, photography, electronics etc. In Scottsdale, I used to see a couple gals all the time that would be waiting in line to hit the women's stuff while I was heading for the men's.

Quite often, there are no grails, or a bunch of overpriced stuff. In either case, I take what's worth it for the price, and then revisit (if close by) nearer the end. For example, I posted earlier on some estate finds from this morning, but will be going back Saturday to grind them on what's left. They had a bunch of decent SCs (Burberry, Versace) that they wanted $60-80 for, and I told them $10 at end of sale, if they're there. Doesn't matter either way to me. Also, if there's a LOT you want, most of these folks will deal, as whatever doesn't sell just gets donated.

The very best sales I've been to are ones where I identified the contents in advance, slept in a hotel nearby, and was there at 6am for a 9am start. It's a rush.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are pretty much two strands of activity for these: the first-thing instakops, and the rest. The instakops are a function of the first 5-15 minutes of the sale. The rest is pretty random, and is often best done right before the end, on the last day.

Agreed that most people are not there looking for men's clothing. However, you are always taking the risk that someone just like you has got there early, and the grails are gone. Of course, mostly they're not there to begin with, unless you've got the perfect demographic, but that's always how it messes with your head.

Typically, I thoroughly interview the seller to see what's there (if they'll respond, which often they don't). I always try to get prices up front so I know whether it's worth it. They often don't like to do that, but I normally live in the boonies, so I tell them it's a long drive, and they usually relent. If there are grails there, you need to be there at the crack of dawn, certainly amongst the first 5-10 people. Everyone who hits estate sales (in the early crowd) always have a specialty: jewelry, watches, figurines, photography, electronics etc. In Scottsdale, I used to see a couple gals all the time that would be waiting in line to hit the women's stuff while I was heading for the men's.

Quite often, there are no grails, or a bunch of overpriced stuff. In either case, I take what's worth it for the price, and then revisit (if close by) nearer the end. For example, I posted earlier on some estate finds from this morning, but will be going back Saturday to grind them on what's left. They had a bunch of decent SCs (Burberry, Versace) that they wanted $60-80 for, and I told them $10 at end of sale, if they're there. Doesn't matter either way to me. Also, if there's a LOT you want, most of these folks will deal, as whatever doesn't sell just gets donated.

The very best sales I've been to are ones where I identified the contents in advance, slept in a hotel nearby, and was there at 6am for a 9am start. It's a rush.
This one had a fairly extensive list of what's available so I know there's some good stuff. I'm gonna show up about 4 hours in advance and see what's up. Never really been to an estate sale so we'll see what happens. There's a few pieces I know I want to grab but no idea how they'll end up pricing this ****.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Recent finds...

fullsizeoutput_324a.jpeg

Cheaney, Pollini

fullsizeoutput_324b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_324c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_324d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_324e.jpeg

Weird t-shirts to find here, but I think this is the type of stuff people want.

fullsizeoutput_324f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3250.jpeg

DSC_0585.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3254.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3255.jpeg

This one seems NWOT:

fullsizeoutput_3251.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3252.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3253.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3256.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3257.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3258.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3259.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_325a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_325b.jpeg

Couple of stains on this, but it's real, right? I was happy with one in wool that I sent to @SpooPoker, so I grabbed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads