• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep my shoes to a minimum, I think.

3 pairs of Common Projects(white achilles low, blue/black camo wool achilles low, navy suede lows)
1 pair of MMM GATS(black w/ gunmetal sole)
1 pair of Clark's desert boots
1 pair of Red Wing chukkas
and a pair of flyknits for exercising.

oh, and a pair of nike sliders that get more use than everything else combined.

Last edited:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Landed in LA this evening. One stop way out of town.

And a Golden Bear made in USA leather and wool varsity jacket. Minty

Just keeping at it, always letting it come to me

Found something similar today.

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
YES I put the casters on an immediately took them off. Then I put cup hooks into the doorframe and zip-tied it to the rack because it was unstable. It's super stable now.

[/quote]
Don't feel too bad @LooknGr8 I had two of those style racks at one time full of personal shoes. But those racks are a bit Less sturdy than I like (one failed due to the weight of the loaded shoes). But looking at yours it looks like it is set up without casters/wheels, which probably makes it much sturdier than mine were.
I leapt at the chance when a local store was selling some of their old fixtures. I bought 3 double sided adjustable racks for $45 total. Can't recall the brand but retail of each rack is like $500. Depending on type and size of shoes each rack holds probably 60-80 pairs of shoes, and all of my shoes don't fit on them.
They are awesome racks as they are wheeled so can be moved around as needed without fear of tipping or collapsing.

Yes. I have a shoe problem.

EDIT: looked up the brand. Grands + Benedict. Hard to find an assembled pic but this is a slightly different configuration.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was wondering, what Hermes items has everyone found which aren't ties?

I lust for Hermes shoes and coats, so show me!

Somewhere I have a pretty large Hermes dress shirt, white, with a little brass-colored 'Hermes' thingsmajig over a buttonhole or something. I was so stoked to find it, but the eBay value seemed really low and it became another one of those "I could've spent that fiver on a Taco Bell meal" kind of situations...

:violin:

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New rack so I don't have them in every closet and under-furniture storage thingys.

Please tell me that you shoe fetishists (I know the sellers of the world hold a lot more at once -- I'm talking about what you people keep for yourself) have a lot more than me, because the "Imelda" abuse is flowing from all corners of my life LOL.

The sad thing is how many I've gotten rid of -- and there's still more not on the rack that I should rethrift.

What? No spectators?

timber09

Reaction score
New rack so I don't have them in every closet and under-furniture storage thingys.

Please tell me that you shoe fetishists (I know the sellers of the world hold a lot more at once -- I'm talking about what you people keep for yourself) have a lot more than me, because the "Imelda" abuse is flowing from all corners of my life LOL.

The sad thing is how many I've gotten rid of -- and there's still more not on the rack that I should rethrift.

This is awesome - looks like I have another project to build in my office/closet/mancave/design warehouse/photo studio/sanctuary/etc

I have built a few shelving units and such around the house with gasification piping around the house - may be able to use the same blueprint with this as well. Will certainly give it a shot!

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quality and condition over quantity

(some I've kept, some I should've kept)...

E-Thrift, Thrift, Consignment Shops

Last edited:

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Alden and Rancourt loafers ^^ cheapest of the bunch, retail anyway

paid $40 for Crockett & Jones (pic with deer bone) shell marlow loafer with Nataku one day

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

What? No spectators?

They're next on the list. I've bid on a few, I have some people looking, just haven't found what I want. I do have some Italy Tommy Bahamas but I don't really count they as shoes or worthy of being on the rack LOL

I want some Gripfast spectators but those would probably be more streetwear than menswear

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

A little late, but I just did Austria-California (GRZ-[COLOR=222222]FRA-[/COLOR]SFO) and enjoyed the long haul flight more than other trips to the US.  The main reason is that the direct flight is usually the best option (still expensive, ~$1.5k).  Boston, New York, Philly and Atlanta have all been a bit screwy for me, often flying through the exact wrong airport on the east coast. 

But $300?  I want to know who you are flying.  

$300 was just for a one day flight on Southwest Airlines inside the US. The trans-atlantic flight was more expensive. Transferring in ORD is my nemesis. I've missed my connection more often than I've made it, so I will avoid a layover there whenever possible. When we concocted the idea, we'd assume sky-high airfare (pun intended) due to the timing of Easter break. Shocked to find flights better than reasonable, so went ahead with it.

Don't go to NY to thrift unless you're planning on hitting estate sales. Texas is guns and traffic, LA is hard city unless you have contacts. Personally I'd pick a city you want to visit for culture or food and make thrifting a small part of the trip. 

Hans, Come to Japan.

Spring is Cherry Blossom season, The Thrifting is the best in the world, and around this time of year there are beer/food festivals.

I noticed that you didn't mention Birmingham as a potential destination. 
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Just fly into Atlanta and I will give you the grand thrift tour. The Atlanta thrifters are great guys who embody the whole southern hospitality image. However, Atlanta can be a spiteful *****. She will give it up some days. And, on others, she will leave you with thrifting blue balls. Either way, there are some fun consignment stores that help to keep the withdrawals at bay. 

@HansderHund
 If you come to Minneapolis, I'd absolutely take a day off and drive you around to some shops.

Thanks to everyone here for your suggestions, information, and offers to meet! Our dogsitter came through for us, a couple of non-VIP dogs that aren't too friendly with ours got bumped. I paid a good percentage of that guy's mortgage for a few years, so I'm happy to know he hasn't forgotten about us. Plus, the dog loves going.

Still undecided on where I'll go! Would love to make a tour out of a handful of cities to do meet and greets. Maybe next time. This time around, limited time, but I'll see what I can do. DFW and the midwestern cities are frontrunners at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads