• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that a date of 1962 on these Cheaneys??

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suggestions for repairing a cardigan with a plethora of small holes (some darned by previous owner) and a couple larger ones? Normally yes, tossing it would be the best option but this one's a real historical relic with a history that's particularly relevant to me. I'm not looking to repair the various spots of damage myself nor have it perfectly/invisibly rewoven. For the former I think it'd take time and skill that I don't have while for the latter it'd be way more than I could afford. Plus, I kinda like the imperfect repairs done by a previous owner. It's part of the charm, ya know? Anyway, my first thought is to take it to my tailor and have him darn up the little holes with some matching thread and stabilize the large holes, maybe patch them with a piece of flannel in the right color. Any other suggestions? Maybe an affordable knit repair place that'd be up to just doing some darning and stabilization instead of reweaving? I'm gonna be wearing it either way, I'd just like to keep more damage from being done.

i've altered sweaters and i've made sweaters,

once you understand em it's really not rocket science to repair a sweater.

i think you've got a few options. pm some pics and let's discuss this.

R01gt

Reaction score
Some of my better finds over the past couple weeks - might as well start off with the best I suppose:

S/S15 Brunello Cucinelli Wool/Silk travel blazer - super mint. Found at one of the weirder locations - strike out there 90% of the time but every once in a while there is a ridiculous recent piece off by itself, wonder what the story is...

RLPL St Andrews suit

Really nice minty Loro Piana thick cotton shirt (thought was going to be cashmere at first)

5-pack of J Press staple OCBDs

Borrelli Luxury Vintage

Kiton - so fun to see that tag pop out in the rack and what else might be there. Ended up being the Loro above and a recent Lanvin

Most ridiculous RG i've found - embroidery all over and purple pearl snaps with western detailing on back

Lastly - POP for me in an odd way. Bought a staple gray J Press suit w/ flat front pants - pull them out to take photos and found a miss-match. Could be worse I guess, haha

Takai

Reaction score
On another note, my username is from an anime/manga character. Since my mom is Japanese, we watched a lot of anime and Japanese kid's cartoons and stuff growing up.
And here I was hoping for a little Gundam love...

I guess X is ok too.

Last edited:

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On another note, my username is from an anime/manga character. Since my mom is Japanese, we watched a lot of anime and Japanese kid's cartoons and stuff growing up.

I'm pretty terrible with names, and for years I thought your username was Nataka from The Windup Bird Chronicle.

sashae

Reaction score
Eredi Pisano red zip neck and black turtleneck cashmere, PRL cashmere cable knit.
20862902629_3a2ae95727_b.jpg

Eredi Pisano moleskin/corduroy hybrid outerwear-y jacket.
20427070774_22fa451e04_b.jpg

20862902499_3cac9e43cf_b.jpg

20862906589_a3ffac6672_b.jpg

Oxxford 100% cashmere green/brown houndstooth. Absolutely killer.
21039750832_5bde0c147d_b.jpg

20861590870_91ccdcd259_b.jpg

Kevin & Howlin Donegal Mist cashmere/mohair/wool blend herringbone.
20427071214_45d209346b_b.jpg

21039753462_8eb316bd7b_b.jpg

Brunello Cucinelli women's linen pants
20862128578_d8882c7ec0_b.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And here I was hoping for a little Gundam love...

I guess X is ok too.

Oh it had some inspiration from Gundam as well, but saw X before I got into Gundam.

I'm pretty terrible with names, and for years I thought your username was Nataka from The Windup Bird Chronicle.

Funny, I've actually been meaning to read that for awhile. Heard it's a great book.

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh it had some inspiration from Gundam as well, but saw X before I got into Gundam.
Funny, I've actually been meaning to read that for awhile. Heard it's a great book.
do you speak any japanese?

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, one middle name and two surnames from both my parents, the universal Juan and the more spaniard "geographically" of Fermin...like the running of the bulls...@Ds13
 weren't you there this last year? Anyway I'm originally from the other part of the country...

I was in Spain, but wasn't in the running of the bulls (fortunately?) unfortunately

ReubenR

Reaction score
i've altered sweaters and i've made sweaters,

once you understand em it's really not rocket science to repair a sweater.

i think you've got a few options. pm some pics and let's discuss this.

Good deal. It's actually the sweater I'm wearing here:

I think I've mentioned it a time or two before now, but it's probably the most prized and coolest of my second-hand finds. I bought it at the estate sale of a widow who'd been somewhere in her late 90's when she passed. According to the auctioneer, the sweater belonged to her late husband, who'd passed away ~10 years prior at the age of something like 102. He'd attended UGA and lettered in football while he was there and (the auctioneer claimed) this was the original letterman's sweater he'd been given at graduation. I did buy this about a year and a half ago, so the exact numbers might be off a smidge, but I'm fairly sure they're in the right range.

If anyone has any way of verifying those dates or the history, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'm just looking to get it touched up and ready for another century of use. I like to think the original owner would appreciate his sweater being owned by another letterman and still being to tote a flask of bourbon to a tailgate or keep a pretty young lady warm in the fourth quarter, but I'm a bit of a romantic. Anyway, here's those pictures you asked for:

The sweater cardigan:

Loose buttonholes:

Probably 6-10 minor repairs like these:

~12-18 small, unrepaired holes like these:

The one really large hole, on the inside of a cuff:

What's left of the tag:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, but it's a navy windowpane flannel three piece, so buy right?

Oh, yeah yeah. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. It's just like a BWM M3 in a sea of Veyrons. Good stuff in isolation, but a bit out of its depth in that crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads