• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooly

Reaction score

Seems as though a lot of items this season have gone slimmer - shirts in particular.

Depends on the shirt... some of the flannels are slimmer than others. This year, the ones marked "slim" are really actually slim in the body (I.e. The red and black "reliance" shirt).... this has not always been the case in the past when I didn't find that much difference when something was slim or not. The yellow check "worthy" shirt is pretty relaxed fitting. The other plaids are somewhere in between.

The striped and plain white selvedge oxfords as well as the dress chambray shirt definitely on the slim side.

In general I like the slim fit shirts except that if you work out at all, the button at the chest level gets a little tug/pull with movement. If you have too much of a gut, I don't see them working out that well without sizing up and tailoring...

Last edited:

aquila49

Reaction score
Anyone know if / when the stores are going to have the additional 30% off of sales prices discount?

The additional 30% usually comes later in the season—December, as I recall. That's the usually the time when you can get an additional discount from stores.

buzzlulu

Reaction score
Some feedback from anyone considering:

Received my first boxes from the 40% sale. Sizing - arrggggg. Aggravating. I am consistently a size Large in RRL sweaters for the past 5 years. Just received the indigo cotton/linen shawl, the black cotton/linen mock neck, and the cotton baseball bomber with chest patch. All three in size Large fit exactly like a size Medium - or smaller ! Terrible. I now have all three coming in size XL and I will report back when they arrive on Tuesday. How difficult is it to properly size merchandise???

pvoytko

Reaction score

I got this NWT for an unspeakable price cause of the nick that i took a photo of. I wore once last year and was going to get a tailor to fix it but i really dont wear suiting stuff like this or even have an opportunity to.

Id really like to see a member on here fix it and wear it so im offering it up for trade in anything in a size large (22"-23" p2p) or shoot me an offer. I think it retailed for 490.

edit measurements:
tip to tip with the shoulders: its 11" across laying flat
The second tips looks to be 21-22" depending on where the back begins and the front ends
Very bottom tips are 19"

Last edited:

pn2k

Reaction score

Received my first boxes from the 40% sale.  Sizing - arrggggg.  Aggravating.  I am consistently a size Large in RRL sweaters for the past 5 years.  Just received the indigo cotton/linen shawl, the black cotton/linen mock neck, and the cotton baseball bomber with chest patch.  All three in size Large fit exactly like a size Medium - or smaller !  Terrible.  I now have all three coming in size XL and I will report back when they arrive on Tuesday.  How difficult is it to properly size merchandise???

Yep I've had to size up this season too, it's very frustrating as I felt like they had it bang on before.

aquila49

Reaction score

Received my first boxes from the 40% sale. Sizing - arrggggg. Aggravating. I am consistently a size Large in RRL sweaters for the past 5 years. Just received the indigo cotton/linen shawl, the black cotton/linen mock neck, and the cotton baseball bomber with chest patch. All three in size Large fit exactly like a size Medium - or smaller ! Terrible. I now have all three coming in size XL and I will report back when they arrive on Tuesday. How difficult is it to properly size merchandise???

I was a bit more fortunate with the first batch of sale items that arrived today. For what it's worth, I've noticed that RRL sweaters seem to be the most inconsistent pieces in terms of sizing.

The Drucker sport coat is a bit darker than the web site image suggests but I like it a lot. A nice, slim fit in a Medium

The Snap-Front Utility Vest that came with the coat turns out to be much more of a sweater than a vest but that works for me. It goes well with a lot of pieces and is also a good fit.

aquila49

Reaction score
Anybody been watching Westworld on HBO? Definitely an RRL sensibility to some of the wardrobe.

And get this; all the costumes were handmade—the production team found samples of vintage fabrics they liked and hired 3D print shops to recreate the fabrics used to produce the clothing.

That's right; the hosts (androids) manufactured with 3D printers are also wearing 3D-printed clothing!

BTW, I thought about posting this on Style Forum's new Westworld thread but that conversation had already degenerated into a frat-boy discussion about male genitalia.

Bethany Heck

Reaction score
That's super cool! I have been checking out the clothes to see if I recognize any RRL pieces, it's so cool to hear they are printing their own. The floral leather hat is a favorite of mine.

Gruff

Reaction score
Anybody been watching Westworld on HBO? Definitely an RRL sensibility to some of the wardrobe.

And get this; all the costumes were handmade—the production team found samples of vintage fabrics they liked and hired 3D print shops to recreate the fabrics used to produce the clothing.

That's right; the hosts (androids) manufactured with 3D printers are also wearing 3D-printed clothing!

BTW, I thought about posting this on Style Forum's new Westworld thread but that conversation had already degenerated into a frat-boy discussion about male genitalia.

Agreed. I've only seen a couple of episodes on an HBO free weekend but it struck me as an excellent show. I've got multiple RRL pieces where I could cobble together a Man in Black-inspired fit, too - I just need the right hat. Good stuff.

Unrelated, I caught the end of 7 Years in Tibet last week and was digging Brad's fedora fit he's wearing as he leaves Lhasa. Normally fedoras are anathema, but he pulled it off well so I looked to see if the RRL fedora was still available. Sadly, only in a size S, which won't work for me.

Last edited:

aquila49

Reaction score
That's super cool! I have been checking out the clothes to see if I recognize any RRL pieces, it's so cool to hear they are printing their own. The floral leather hat is a favorite of mine.

I'm also liking Logan's Confederales jacket.

Notice the "Hand of the King" pin on the lapel? Maybe Season 2 will be set in "Westerosworld".

aquila49

Reaction score
One last RRL-Westworld connection; GQ tells us "How To Build a Westworld Wardrobe".

Because GQ's editors are the worst kind of fashion-industry whores, most of the pieces the article promotes have absolutely NOTHING to do with the show's inspired vintage-style clothing. Try to imagine the Man in Black wearing that ludicrous $7K Gucci trucker jacket!

Of the few items that do approximate the Westworld style, two are by RRL: the Drucker Corduroy Sport Coat and a Long-Sleeved Waffle Henley.

aquila49

Reaction score
Agreed. I've only seen a couple of episodes on an HBO free weekend but it struck me as an excellent show. I've got multiple RRL pieces where I could cobble together a Man in Black-inspired fit, too - I just need the right hat. Good stuff.

Unrelated, I caught the end of 7 Years in Tibet last week and was digging Brad's fedora fit he's wearing as he leaves Lhasa. Normally fedoras are anathema, but he pulled it off well so I looked to see if the RRL fedora was still available. Sadly, only in a size S, which won't work for me.

The Nick Fouquet fedora in GQ's "How To Build a Westworld Wardrobe" actually comes close.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads