• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Links to the mustard canvas Clyde's and the heavy weight plaid shirt?

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i gambled on this going to sale for a pickup and now regret it =(

The picture doesn't do it justice. Online it looked like a nice wool CPO. It wasn't until I was in the W. Broadway store in early November that I realized it was $495 because it was cashmere and the fabric was much more alive. Denny or Jeff told me it was almost sold out at that point and they had sold about a dozen over that weekend. It may have hit the 1st round of sale online in the less popular sizes or popped back up as a return.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just got the "Canvas Clyde" chinos in the mail today. Want to give a major shout out to @cchen for proxy service and picking these up for me in HK. Trustworthy, communicative, and affordable. He's a real asset to the SF/RRL community.

I'm in love with these already. The fit is in line with my usual sizing. Love the kind of "mustard" shade. And the the brace buttons are rivets instead of sewn on buttons for added durability. Really glad I pulled the trigger and bought these even though they were on the pricy side, even on sale.

I'm wondering since these are raw is it worth wearing these like a pair of raw denim? Should I try and go as long as possible without washing them? Is it worth the challenge? I thought I remembered a user here, possibly @NAMOR, having worn a pair of raw officer chinos for a long period of time. If someone could repost some pics of raw chinos after a long break in period without washing I'd appreciate it!

Fit pics to come in the future.

youll love your buckle backs. the rrl japanese selvedge wears very well and softens up significantly over time

http://yolowastaken.tumblr.com/post/24523179910/rrl-selvedge-officer-chinos-after-about-275-wears

i wore those limited edition chinos for about 2 years before having to retire them after the crotch blew out. the selvedge on this pair were about .5 oz heavier than the standard white selvedge chinos and 1.5 oz heavier than the red selvedge. all told, had the waist taken in twice, and leg tapered.

width

width

width

width

width

width

IMG]

pvoytko

Reaction score

The picture doesn't do it justice. Online it looked like a nice wool CPO. It wasn't until I was in the W. Broadway store in early November that I realized it was $495 because it was cashmere and the fabric was much more alive. Denny or Jeff told me it was almost sold out at that point and they had sold about a dozen over that weekend. It may have hit the 1st round of sale online in the less popular sizes or popped back up as a return.

Yeah the price was definitely why I was waiting. I thought $500 could be invested in something else like a jacket instead of just a CPO...that and even most of the most hyped up pics usually always have a decent size selection when they hit sale. The Merry jacket made it below 300 at almost 50% off with a decent size run before it went out.

I'll just have to keep my eyes open on eBay I guess

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone seen the Heavy-Weight Plaid Shirt in a store recently? It must have sold out online and I'm looking for a M or L...

Picked that up on the markdown that happened in the beginning of December. I think they sold out right after that. Its super nice, i wish it were a bit shorter but thats about the same as every RRL shirt

borderline

Reaction score
Let me know if this is more suited for one of the jeans threads....Need some sizing advice on RRL jeans. I'm trying to find some good heavy denim, I guess these RRL choices are 15.5 or 16 oz which is about right. But I've been having trouble dealing with the shrinkage/stretching uncertainty with raw denim and dialing in the right fit. FWIW I'm about a 32 in LVC 1947.

I have purchased two pairs of RRL in identical size. (31/32). One is Slim Fit Rigid, the other is Low Straight One Wash.

My ideal jean waist size (post wash/soak) is probably 16-16.5."

The one wash low straight are actually 17" new and although they are comfortable, I'm worried since they have already been washed, they will be too large, especially if there is any stretching, which seems likely. Maybe the size 30 would work. Any ideas on how much shrinkage/stretching these are likely to experience?

Then there's the rigid slim fits. The waist is 16" (now, pre-soak), and it 's perfect in the waist, a big snug in the thighs. Don't know what will happen with a soak. Any ideas about whether these would shrink in the waist significantly? Or if they are snug/comfortable now, presoak, would they be about right post-soak/post-stretch?

I guess another option would be to try the low straight rigid but again trying to dial in the size seems like a challenge.

Thanks.

rltitan5

Reaction score
good amount of slims straights.... attempted to get the low straight selvedged denims but they only had a 32x34 and I'm a rare 34x34.... They had the marshall flight jacket going for around 120-125.00 after 50% discount was applied.. would of picked it up but the jacket fit a half inch too short. By the way I'm 6'5 so the jacket was a no go.

randomnoob

Reaction score
Let me know if this is more suited for one of the jeans threads....Need some sizing advice on RRL jeans. I'm trying to find some good heavy denim, I guess these RRL choices are 15.5 or 16 oz which is about right. But I've been having trouble dealing with the shrinkage/stretching uncertainty with raw denim and dialing in the right fit. FWIW I'm about a 32 in LVC 1947.

I have purchased two pairs of RRL in identical size. (31/32). One is Slim Fit Rigid, the other is Low Straight One Wash.

My ideal jean waist size (post wash/soak) is probably 16-16.5."

The one wash low straight are actually 17" new and although they are comfortable, I'm worried since they have already been washed, they will be too large, especially if there is any stretching, which seems likely. Maybe the size 30 would work. Any ideas on how much shrinkage/stretching these are likely to experience?

Then there's the rigid slim fits. The waist is 16" (now, pre-soak), and it 's perfect in the waist, a big snug in the thighs. Don't know what will happen with a soak. Any ideas about whether these would shrink in the waist significantly? Or if they are snug/comfortable now, presoak, would they be about right post-soak/post-stretch?

I guess another option would be to try the low straight rigid but again trying to dial in the size seems like a challenge.

Thanks.

i havent washed any of my pairs yet but i might be in the same boat as you. 30s are slightly tight in the waist, thighs are tighter than i would want. 31s are good everywhere but a bit loose in the waist as they stretch out from wearing. The thighs on either size dont seem to stretch nearly as much. maybe the best thing to do is to get the 31 and get the waist taken in if necessary.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not finding that heavy plaid for a good price. All sold out :(

pvoytko

Reaction score

good amount of slims straights.... attempted to get the low straight selvedged denims but they only had a 32x34 and I'm a rare 34x34.... They had the marshall flight jacket going for around 120-125.00 after 50% discount was applied.. would of picked it up but the jacket fit a half inch too short. By the way I'm 6'5 so the jacket was a no go.

What store was this? Been looking for that jacket in a large

papillo

Reaction score
Georgetown. I believe it was an XL but to be honest, it seemed to run a bit small in my opinion. I usually wear a small or a medium at the most and if that was a large, i would have been ok wearing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads