• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That Todd Snyder western is $150 with code EARLY25 but agree not quite the same as the RRL

biabia

Reaction score
Damn... now I have a bad feeling. It was the last medium left at Bodega. But if the one I get is anywhere near that, it'll go back. Did you decide to keep the one in the photos?

Yeah there was a blue corduroy high slim last season I think, and it was made in Tunisia. I was disappointed in its quality too.
There's a M on Huckberry. 15 percent off in cart.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Todd Snyder western is $150 with code EARLY25 but agree not quite the same as the RRL
Yeah. I kind of like it (moreso maybe in the smoke green) as a cleaner / less western-y western cord shirt option. That said I can never bring myself to buy their stuff until its ~40% off... Snyder is generally solid quality but it's just not (to me) at the level of their prices.

MattBagg

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought a used linen herringbone RRL sports coat from eBay. Upon receiving it, I was struck by how much worse it was than all the other RRL pieces I own. Are the Made in Italy (Caruso?) pieces worse than the USA and China pieces, or might I have a counterfeit? I'd appreciate if anyone cares to give an opinion.

The lapel width suggests to me it is fairly recent, but I can't find other examples of this piece on eBay, failed, or RRL's social feeds.

The sleeve buttons are non functioning, which I don't expect from RRL, but the sleeves have likely been lengthened (they are as long as the jacket, which is around 30 inches!), so that might have done then.
PXL_20231115_154642616.jpg

PXL_20231115_154708323.jpg

PXL_20231115_154955549.jpg
PXL_20231115_155028440.jpg
The visibly folded back fabric to make the notch (below) is something I've seen on Caruso pieces, but not RRLs. However, I don't have examples of lightweight summer sports coats from RRL. The construction of the lapel buttonhole looks low quality. And also note the weird long white thread in the left of the photo. I am guessing that is a remnant of tack stitching to hold the lapel down during manufacturing?

PXL_20231115_154829836.jpg

I'm also struck by how the "Made in Italy" on the collar is apparently sewn on last, so the stitches show on the exterior (below) when the collar is popped. I haven't seen this on anything I own before.

PXL_20231115_153827816.jpg
PXL_20231115_153846168.jpg

Overall, the lining is coming off in many places:

PXL_20231115_154414173.jpg

Aside from the Made in Italy and the breast pocket RRL labels having unexpected flaws, the tags look all reasonable and similar to others I've seen.
PXL_20231115_154019537.jpg
PXL_20231115_154010840.jpg
PXL_20231115_153950793.jpg
PXL_20231115_155136462.jpg

I'm using natural outdoor lighting on a piece that just came in the post. So to avoid being unfair to the piece, here's how nice it looked for the eBay listing:
Screenshot_20231115-091004.png

I think of RRL as a quality (if a little too cinematic dude ranch Western) brand but this piece is scaring me off anything of theirs from Italy.

Attachments

• PXL_20231115_153827816.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20231115_153827816.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 8

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought a used linen herringbone RRL sports coat from eBay. Upon receiving it, I was struck by how much worse it was than all the other RRL pieces I own. Are the Made in Italy (Caruso?) pieces worse than the USA and China pieces, or might I have a counterfeit? I'd appreciate if anyone cares to give an opinion.

The lapel width suggests to me it is fairly recent, but I can't find other examples of this piece on eBay, failed, or RRL's social feeds.

The sleeve buttons are non functioning, which I don't expect from RRL, but the sleeves have likely been lengthened (they are as long as the jacket, which is around 30 inches!), so that might have done then.
View attachment 2070451
View attachment 2070453
View attachment 2070455 View attachment 2070457 The visibly folded back fabric to make the notch (below) is something I've seen on Caruso pieces, but not RRLs. However, I don't have examples of lightweight summer sports coats from RRL. The construction of the lapel buttonhole looks low quality. And also note the weird long white thread in the left of the photo. I am guessing that is a remnant of tack stitching to hold the lapel down during manufacturing?

View attachment 2070459

I'm also struck by how the "Made in Italy" on the collar is apparently sewn on last, so the stitches show on the exterior (below) when the collar is popped. I haven't seen this on anything I own before.

View attachment 2070475 View attachment 2070477
Overall, the lining is coming off in many places:

View attachment 2070485

Aside from the Made in Italy and the breast pocket RRL labels having unexpected flaws, the tags look all reasonable and similar to others I've seen.
View attachment 2070487 View attachment 2070489 View attachment 2070491 View attachment 2070493

I'm using natural outdoor lighting on a piece that just came in the post. So to avoid being unfair to the piece, here's how nice it looked for the eBay listing:
View attachment 2070503

I think of RRL as a quality (if a little too cinematic dude ranch Western) brand but this piece is scaring me off anything of theirs from Italy.
That little orange dot on the top right of the RRL tag usually means this was sold either as a second or a sample which could explain the wonky-ness

fwedo

Reaction score
in Europe, RRL "made in italy" jackets (yes, made by caruso) have other tags.

Capture d’écran 2023-11-15 à 18.58.57.png
Capture d’écran 2023-11-15 à 18.58.48.png

For made in china or more recent made in india RRL jackets, this is this kind of tag (and no inside pocket tag) :

Capture d’écran 2023-11-15 à 18.55.25.png
Capture d’écran 2023-11-15 à 18.54.59.png

just saying.
I am not expert enough to tell if your jacket is fake or not.

Reaction score

View attachment 2070575 View attachment 2070577

For made in china ou more recent made in india RRL jackets, this is this kind of tag (and no inside pocket tag) :

View attachment 2070579 View attachment 2070583

just saying.
I am not expert enough to tell if your jacket is fake or
nah, that's not fake, that's kind of tags were much older, like at least before 2010 around 2000s, Fender could be right, second or sample, i have a navy stripe linen sport coat from 2006 and definetly better workmanship than this. And the fit is also not like the more recent italy made suits, i m 38R or 38L or even 40R, mine from 2006 is tagged 38R and it has slightly longer sleeves and hem even longer than a 38L.

MattBagg

Reaction score

Thanks. That's my experience too, but grailed has an "authenticated" piece (that, unlike my piece, actually looks like an RRL) that seemingly matches the tag style on my sports coat:

Attachments

• 1000007066.jpg
    1000007066.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 1000007065.jpg
    1000007065.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 119

MattBagg

Reaction score
nah, that's not fake, that's kind of tags were much older, like at least before 2010 around 2000s, Fender could be right, second or sample, i have a navy stripe linen sport coat from 2006 and definetly better workmanship than this. And the fit is also not like the more recent italy made suits, i m 38R or 38L or even 40R, mine from 2006 is tagged 38R and it has slightly longer sleeves and hem even longer than a 38L.
Thanks, that's helpful. My working theory has been that the tags are real and old and were sewn onto a newer cheaper coat (which would be why the tag stitching goes through the collar) I just don't picture lapels that wide in 2000-2010, but maybe I'm wrong.

Reaction score
dispite the inadequate workmanship i m still gong for authentic, this sport coat looks pretty RRL to me, i mean by the little details desgin, not likely older tag been swen onto other jackets,i ve also watchted this item on eBay but it was sold several days ago( now it is clearly you are the new owner) Lining coming off could be the fault by seller due to improper storage, for a jacket over 10 nearly 20 years old i m not feeling surprised about it.

Freecard

Reaction score
Yeah I think I remember you saying that a while back. I have a slim fit denim washed shirt, part of their core, and I can't button it up all the way without revealing the amount of blueberry muffins I consume. The sleeves are a tad short too but they look fantastic rolled up. I've just been wearing the shirt open.

The problem is no one does brown like RRL. Tecovas and Todd Snyder have an brown cord western shirt offering right now but they can miss me with that. I live in the Austin area but Stag on Congress doesn't have the medium, or else I would've went and tried it.

Agree that brown western shirts are hard to find these days. Not fan of corduroy but even denim is not that easy. So I figured out I should check on Vinted and more options over there, very cheap in brands like Levis / Lee, while waiting for the perfect brand new one, yet to be designed / released :)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
dispite the inadequate workmanship i m still gong for authentic, this sport coat looks pretty RRL to me, i mean by the little details desgin, not likely older tag been swen onto other jackets,i ve also watchted this item on eBay but it was sold several days ago( now it is clearly you are the new owner) Lining coming off could be the fault by seller due to improper storage, for a jacket over 10 nearly 20 years old i m not feeling surprised about it.
Yeah the back of that jacket makes me think RRL.

WaltDud

Reaction score
Agree that brown western shirts are hard to find these days. Not fan of corduroy but even denim is not that easy. So I figured out I should check on Vinted and more options over there, very cheap in brands like Levis / Lee, while waiting for the perfect brand new one, yet to be designed / released :)

A couple of seasons back, RRL had a distressed brown denim jacket and Mr. Porter carried it too with an "Exclusive" to them tag. Then they just disappeared off of the main Ralph Lauren site. Some store associate told me it's because it was exclusive to Mr. Porter, but other items that were also exclusives were still on the RL site.

image.jpg

Anyways. Fell in love with the jacket. I've yet to see ANY brown denim done like it. The closest I've seen is Mister Freedom's Ranch Blouse but it's a duck canvas and in my opinion, deviates from the formula a bit too much (which some people like, I guess):

RanchBlouseFrontierDuck-1a_1800x1800.png

So for several months, I refreshed that RRL jacket page every single day and multiple times a day and it came back in stock twice, one was an XXL and the other was an L. I bought the L so quick and prayed they send me a Medium by mistake (which has happened before) but nope. It's an L. It's a bit bulky on my but it's not terrible. Probably how it would've fit a real cowboy. I'm still hunting for an M. Absolutely the best brown denim jacket I've ever seen and felt. Their current brown denim slims that are made in Mexico are delicious too.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A couple of seasons back, RRL had a distressed brown denim jacket and Mr. Porter carried it too with an "Exclusive" to them tag. Then they just disappeared off of the main Ralph Lauren site. Some store associate told me it's because it was exclusive to Mr. Porter, but other items that were also exclusives were still on the RL site.

image.jpg

Anyways. Fell in love with the jacket. I've yet to see ANY brown denim done like it. The closest I've seen is Mister Freedom's Ranch Blouse but it's a duck canvas and in my opinion, deviates from the formula a bit too much (which some people like, I guess):

RanchBlouseFrontierDuck-1a_1800x1800.png

So for several months, I refreshed that RRL jacket page every single day and multiple times a day and it came back in stock twice, one was an XXL and the other was an L. I bought the L so quick and prayed they send me a Medium by mistake (which has happened before) but nope. It's an L. It's a bit bulky on my but it's not terrible. Probably how it would've fit a real cowboy. I'm still hunting for an M. Absolutely the best brown denim jacket I've ever seen and felt. Their current brown denim slims that are made in Mexico are delicious too.
I always take what SAs say with a huge grain of salt. There were several items at Mr Porter marked as exclusive that clearly weren’t. I’m guessing Ralph just sold them. That was kind of the height of supply chain issues. Mine was delivered a year ago yesterday.

Blue Owl has some sizes of the brown slims for $240 with code FEAST.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zappa