• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bwfilms

Reaction score
Honestly, those pieces may be hard to come by. However, I am a size small and most of the good stuff second hand is medium or large so hopefully easier for you to find! I recommend Yahoo Japan or Rakuten Marketplace in Japan. You may be able to find them for sale but at a premium.

I've been looking at some items (not just RRL, and using a proxy as those website are only in Japanese, right?) but never actually bought anything. The pricing on many seems reasonable, but I'm hesitant about shipping and other additional costs. Got any advice?

hyunbin09

Reaction score
Yep, been buying RRL since the mid 2000s. I'm asking here because I've never been able to find any of these pieces for sale by resellers or second hand.

theres some pieces I’ve been on the hunt for and never came across :(
I've been looking at some items (not just RRL, and using a proxy as those website are only in Japanese, right?) but never actually bought anything. The pricing on many seems reasonable, but I'm hesitant about shipping and other additional costs. Got any advice?

I use Buyee and the shipping and fees aren’t that bad to be honest. It def adds up, but nothing to crazy. I haven’t ordered from Japan since Covid, but maybe around $40 for express shipping? Fees maybe $30? Not sure nowadays. Hope this helps. So costs initially are: 1) price of item 2) Japan taxes 3) shipping to forwarding warehouse 4) service fee 5) shipping fee to US.

subdivide

Reaction score
theres some pieces I’ve been on the hunt for and never came across :(

I use Buyee and the shipping and fees aren’t that bad to be honest. It def adds up, but nothing to crazy. I haven’t ordered from Japan since Covid, but maybe around $40 for express shipping? Fees maybe $30? Not sure nowadays. Hope this helps. So costs initially are: 1) price of item 2) Japan taxes 3) shipping to forwarding warehouse 4) service fee 5) shipping fee to US.

Share pics here! Maybe it'll be cathartic ?

Thanks for sharing this helpful perspective re: Japan-based purchases!

aquila49

Reaction score
Here are a few RRL items I'm still looking for in size Medium. For some of these, size Large might work too.

If you have one or more of these pieces and you're interested to sell or trade, drop a line!

View attachment 1750164 View attachment 1750166 View attachment 1750167 View attachment 1750168 View attachment 1750169 View attachment 1750170 View attachment 1750171 View attachment 1750172 View attachment 1750173 View attachment 1750174 View attachment 1750175

Wow, I actually own a few of these. Drop me a line and let's talk trade.

aquila49

Reaction score
View attachment 1748689

All RRL from various seasons, and my old (2013) RL Safari Watch. Never bored about this one...

Whoa!

This morning I sat down with a cup of coffee, opened Style Forum and thought I was looking in a mirror! (Well, almost.)

IMG_3544.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to thank whoever here recommended Kai D Utility as a brand/store with a similar aesthetic to RRL. I had looked at their stuff a few times over the past year and finally made a purchase this past week: some Kai D. brand twill buckle-back trousers and a Kai D. brand workman's jacket. They arrived the other day and seem like top notch quality. I had been hesitant to buy from them earlier because their site is sparse on fit and sizing details but I reached out to the store before making my purchase and they got back to me right away and helped me select my sizes. Great service!

I also got a couple flannel shirts from them from a company called Tintoria Mattei, whom I had never heard of, but the colors and price looked good and was blown away by how nice they are as well. They're a nice lightweight flannel and cut like a tailored dress shirt.

If I get ambitious, I'll try to get some photos.

shryver

Reaction score
I also learned of Kai D from here and had the chance to visit his shop in Brooklyn last spring— he definitely provides top-notch service and has some great pieces.

AMidwestMan

Reaction score
Taking the wife out tonight and felt it warranted an almost all RRL outfit (one day I’ll bring myself to spend a grand on boots) Jacket is the wool blend “engineers sport coat” from a few seasons ago and the shirt is this fall’s plaid dobby workshirt. RRL indigo corduroy pants and the boots are RL Asher cap toe boots.
F24CAF80-CFC4-4949-BFD1-DAA6EA4DD1EF.jpeg

heebalabala

Reaction score
I wanted to thank whoever here recommended Kai D Utility as a brand/store with a similar aesthetic to RRL. I had looked at their stuff a few times over the past year and finally made a purchase this past week: some Kai D. brand twill buckle-back trousers and a Kai D. brand workman's jacket. They arrived the other day and seem like top notch quality. I had been hesitant to buy from them earlier because their site is sparse on fit and sizing details but I reached out to the store before making my purchase and they got back to me right away and helped me select my sizes. Great service!

I also got a couple flannel shirts from them from a company called Tintoria Mattei, whom I had never heard of, but the colors and price looked good and was blown away by how nice they are as well. They're a nice lightweight flannel and cut like a tailored dress shirt.

If I get ambitious, I'll try to get some photos.
That was @Lotuspath.

Photos would be great -- interested in seeing their stuff IRL.

In most parts of NYC the public has embraced mask wearing. In fact, here in hipster Williamsburg Brooklyn, it’s actually “hip” to wear a mask ..... and it can also even be a fashion statement.
For the height of great ‘mask wearing‘ style, check out the mask in this small local Japanese boutique tailor shop in W’burg called ..... Kai D Utility.

Kai D is another regular often featured in Clutch Magazine. The shop is truly awesome; RRL on steroids and a bit less expensive. Kai doesn’t largely “do” denim, flannel and cardigans, but the core of his collection is pure vintage style. Well worth a look.

BTW a lot of critics claim the Japanese actually saved US vintage style and often give Japan credit for the revival of “American Heritage” style. For example, legend has it that the Japanese bought all the original Levi’s hand shuttle looms (and the patents) after Levi’s began to mass produce denim when wearing denim jeans became popular (James Dean) back in the 1950’s. Those shuttle looms are actually crucial in creating the tighter and denser knit raw selvedge denim fabric. Perfect for stressing and uneven fading. But that’s just an old wives tale. Anyway, there’s no doubt the Japanese have now mastered and perhaps even conquered denim production. Clutch/Men’s File are Japanese magazines that pretty much document the American vintage trend.

And .....

And .....

Take a look, notice anything familiar?

Last edited:

mfbnyc

Reaction score
For Angelenos, new RL store just opened at Century City Westfield. It's small but has a nice, curated selection of Polo, Purple Label and some RRL thrown in. Let's see if it sticks. That's definitely where the money is shopping in LA these days and it seemed silly for the brand to not be there.

subdivide

Reaction score
Here are a few RRL items I'm still looking for in size Medium. For some of these, size Large might work too.

If you have one or more of these pieces and you're interested to sell or trade, drop a line!

View attachment 1750164 View attachment 1750166 View attachment 1750167 View attachment 1750168 View attachment 1750169 View attachment 1750170 View attachment 1750171 View attachment 1750172 View attachment 1750173 View attachment 1750174 View attachment 1750175
Here are two more items I'm looking for: never saw this scarf listed online or in the catalogs - from between 2017-2019?

Please drop a line if you have any of these and would be open to trade or sell.

Attachments

• s7-1341004_lifestyle.jpeg
    s7-1341004_lifestyle.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 37
  • s7-1341323_lifestyle.jpeg
    s7-1341323_lifestyle.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 50

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads