• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dqm45

Reaction score
Please, it's still too soon after the Super Bowl. There are several more stages of grief I need to work through.

As for the shirt; yes we all have opinions. But when you present an opinion as an irrefutable fact, you're inviting an argument.

Words are powerful.

I interpreted both as opinions. I do agree about presenting opinions as facts, though.

Niners fan? Sorry about that! :)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
aha, it was the grail, guess SF had bad blood with them so the link got auto change to ebay...

yea, replace ebay with "grailed" would work, but guess not going to be easy on cell phone...

ok, no matter how I edit, can't show grailed, never ;mind...

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, share your logic with us. Why is it an opinion?

you don’t think a point of view on whether something is attractive or ugly is an opinion? I don’t know what else you would call it, regardless of the fact that it could’ve been expressed more tactfully.

In matters of taste there can be no dispute.

Randelpink

Reaction score
aha, it was the grail, guess SF had bad blood with them so the link got auto change to ebay...

yea, replace ebay with "grailed" would work, but guess not going to be easy on cell phone...

ok, no matter how I edit, can't show grailed, never ;mind...

same for me when I was listing my grailed FS piece, even typing out the link by hand this site will default it to eBay. Very strange

aquila49

Reaction score
you don’t think a point of view on whether something is attractive or ugly is an opinion? I don’t know what else you would call it, regardless of the fact that it could’ve been expressed more tactfully.

O·pin·ion A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

This especially rings true when comes to fashion; it's all about emotional response.

I've seen too many hockey forums go sideways over this. Many fans looking for a dialog were chased away by groups of clowns who insisted everyone accept certain propositions: "So-and-so sucks!" "What's-his-name is a stupid midget and a floater." But these nitwits don't care what you call it; they're trolling for fights.

Don't get me wrong—that's not happening here. And sports forums present an extreme example of this dynamic. But the seeds of discord do pop up from time to time.

In an online environment conversations can quickly become heated and combative. When that happens, people are no longer having a discussion—they're trying to win. And that in turn fragments a community and spurs factions. (Pleats vs. No-Pleats?)

How can you tell when an opinion is not really an opinion? Easy—it will spark an argument.

To me, "opinion" implies tact and respect. I think it's pretty easy to say something is ugly without being a jerk about it.

Of course, all of the above are my opinions.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O·pin·ion A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

This especially rings true when comes to fashion; it's all about emotional response.

I've seen too many hockey forums go sideways over this. Many fans looking for a dialog were chased away by groups of clowns who insisted everyone accept certain propositions: "So-and-so sucks!" "What's-his-name is a stupid midget and a floater." But these nitwits don't care what you call it; they're trolling for fights.

Don't get me wrong—that's not happening here. And sports forums present an extreme example of this dynamic. But the seeds of discord do pop up from time to time.

In an online environment conversations can quickly become heated and combative. When that happens, people are no longer having a discussion—they're trying to win. And that in turn fragments a community and spurs factions. (Pleats vs. No-Pleats?)

How can you tell when an opinion is not really an opinion? Easy—it will spark an argument.

To me, "opinion" implies tact and respect. I think it's pretty easy to say something is ugly without being a jerk about it.

Of course, all of the above are my opinions.

I think most people will fight to defend their own opinion. That doesn't make it less of an opinion, it just means people want to feel good about themselves. I happen to agree that the shirt in question was overdone to the point of being ugly, but I don't think you (or anyone else) are wrong if you like it. I think a LOT of stuff posted in this thread is atrociously ugly, but I get that other people dig it.

aquila49

Reaction score
I think most people will fight to defend their own opinion. That doesn't make it less of an opinion, it just means people want to feel good about themselves. I happen to agree that the shirt in question was overdone to the point of being ugly, but I don't think you (or anyone else) are wrong if you like it. I think a LOT of stuff posted in this thread is atrociously ugly, but I get that other people dig it.

We agree on a number of things. :)

Just for the record, I don't particularly care for the shirt in question, but I respect anyone else's right to like it or any other garment.

Including this one:

1583520578240.png

Brilliant idea to put a compass on a coat. A couple USB-C ports would also be nice. (Sold out, by the way.)

Reminds me of 12 Monkeys.

noretailplease

Reaction score
A quick comparison of the Levi’s Barstow western shirt compared to the RRL shirt. The Levi’s is $40 in the double RL is 265. Obviously the coloring is different and the treatment on the RL shirt. The Levi’s shirt is more like a shirt you could wear to work, without much comment. The RRL, with its pocket embellishments and it’s slightly longer length, is more of an outdoor/bar shirt. I like them both, they are both just slightly different. The Levis also has some elastic, so a little bit more stretch, where is the RRL is 100% cotton. Both are nice shirts, with different overall results. Just my opinion. LOL.
38A23754-F845-4330-ABDC-484C373A6801.jpeg
E80DDB74-65C2-43B8-A96F-4D41F0CACD4B.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads