• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MasterOfDomains

Reaction score
Exactly.
Why do you guys get upset about snobbish employees? I don't give a **** about snobbish people and I usually don't seek help when i enter into these types of stores. I know what I am looking for. I purchase the item & I'm out. 

How many people have experience with the t-shirts? Are the sizings the same through out?

alex99

Reaction score

Exactly.
How many people have experience with the t-shirts? Are the sizings the same through out?

For me the sizing has been consistent. I am always a small. Once in a while, a small will fit a bit tight. When this happens I return it and move on. Sizing up doesn't help since the jump between sizes is too much. I find this to be true with shirts as well.

Last edited:

White Lotus

Reaction score
For me the sizing has been consistent. I am always a small. Once in a while, a small will fit a bit tight. When this happens I return it and move on. Sizing up does't help since the jump between sizes is too much.
Dude even among RRL shirts the sizing varies. I bought the endurance shirt, the jackrabbit shirt and the tacoma shirt in the same size and they all fit differently. lol. The endurance had 18 shoulder whereas the jackrabbit one had 16.5. The jackrabbit had a 15 neck while the tacoma shirt had a 15.75 neck. The measurements are all over the place.

alex99

Reaction score

Dude even among RRL shirts the sizing varies. I bought the endurance shirt, the jackrabbit shirt and the tacoma shirt in the same size and they all fit differently. lol. The endurance had 18 shoulder whereas the jackrabbit one had 16.5. The jackrabbit had a 15 neck while the tacoma shirt had a 15.75 neck. The measurements are all over the place.

Maybe I was not clear with what I meant. My size is small in RRL but that does not mean a small always fits me. My return rate with RRL shirts is probably around 40% (less with t-shirts). What I was trying to say is that moving up a size to a medium has never helped. Does that make sense?

And yes, sizing inconsistencies drive me crazy. I am borderline on small shirts since the shoulders can be too small. I had a perfect fitting Jackson Frontier shirt from SS14, but right after I bought, it was marked down another 20%, so i returned it to my local store and bought online for the discount. Of course the one they sent me was too tight, and when I went back to the store they had sold the one I returned. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

White Lotus

Reaction score
Maybe I was not clear with what I meant. My size is small in RRL but that does not mean a small always fits me. My return rate with RRL shirts is probably around 40% (less with t-shirts). What I was trying to say is that moving up a size to a medium has never helped. Does that make sense?

And yes, sizing inconsistencies drive me crazy. I am borderline on small shirts since the shoulders can be too small. I had a perfect fitting Jackson Frontier shirt from SS14, but right after I bought, it was marked down another 20%, so i returned it to my local store and bought online for the discount. Of course the one they sent me was too tight, and when I went back to the store they had sold the one I returned. Lesson learned.

Ralph Lauren clothing sizing is vastly different from size to size. I would probably say the difference between each size in chest for any sub brand is 4 inches. Ex) XS in a shirt would be a 36 chest whereas a S would be 40 chest. I own Rugby, POLO and RRL stuff. I'm a small in all 3. If I went XS, it would be too tight. Brands like Apolis have 2 inch chest size difference. Ralph Lauren shirts have 4 inches in chest size difference.

pvoytko

Reaction score
A SA told me that sizing inconsistency is because they size off of the piece theyre influenced by. Like if theyre copying a WW2 vest thats a size large but fits more like an XL that will be reflected amongst the reproduction

Could be an excuse, either way annoying

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you ebay sellers. I just sold a pair of RRL jeans. They were worn approximately 3-4 times and otherwise great condition. I sold them for a great price for someone. I specified no returns on my items but this guy - very professionally - asked for a return b/c the jeans were too tight (31x32 slim fit boot cut, fwiw). I did not list measurements in my listing as the sizing on slim boots have been fairly consistent for me and not many jeans do offer measurements.

Anyhow, would you take the "sorry, no return, I'm sure you can sell it fairly easily for that price" approach or the "sure, you can return it" approach?

Just curious what you all think.

TIA

aquila49

Reaction score
Question for you ebay sellers. I just sold a pair of RRL jeans. They were worn approximately 3-4 times and otherwise great condition. I sold them for a great price for someone. I specified no returns on my items but this guy - very professionally - asked for a return b/c the jeans were too tight (31x32 slim fit boot cut, fwiw). I did not list measurements in my listing as the sizing on slim boots have been fairly consistent for me and not many jeans do offer measurements.

Anyhow, would you take the "sorry, no return, I'm sure you can sell it fairly easily for that price" approach or the "sure, you can return it" approach?

TIA

I'm of two minds here. Sizes vary wildly among brands and styles—experience has taught me not to buy anything on eBay if a seller doesn't provide measurements. On the other hand … if he didn't ask for exact measurements, he should honor the "no returns" policy.

White Lotus

Reaction score

TIA
ebay is buyer friendly. If u refuse a return, he can file complaint and you eventually have to let him return even tho you said no returns.

Fenderplyr

Reaction score

ebay is buyer friendly. If u refuse a return, he can file complaint and you eventually have to let him return even tho you said no returns.

That's rediculous. Ebay is buyer lenient but no returns means no returns. I've never accepted a return and have been fine

DJ Quaaludes

Reaction score
That's rediculous. Ebay is buyer lenient but no returns means no returns. I've never accepted a return and have been fine

Not necessarily. I provide measurements in my listing and also note that I don't accept returns. However, there are numerous ways for a buyer to 'scam' the system and have eBay side with them. They can merely file a SNAD claim, claiming something along the lines of (yeah they are tagged a 31x32, but didn't fit like one at all, sizing is way off, etc) type claim and generally speaking eBay sides with the buyer in these types of situations.

The buyer could also potentially go the paypal dispute route. The only way I see a seller winning out in this scenario is to have the buyer in writing admitting to the fact that everything is ok with the item but they just didn't fit. Ebay would probably side with the seller in this instance but as I have noted in my experience I've run across numerous buyers who were disingenuous and I wound up having to accept a return.

For example, I sold a pair of brown shoes once that were noted by the manufacturer as the color brown. Buyer contacted me upon receipt saying the item didnt fit (despite the no return policy and noting it was their responsibility to verify fit in line with measurements/size provided). Buyer then filed a SNAD claim with eBay noting that the color was not 'brown' as described but was more of a 'brownish burgundy' and that I did not accurately describe the listing. In the end eBay made me accept a return, less I wanted to be out the money AND the item.

While noting 'no returns' can help reduce the number of returns or return requests you will receive, there really is no such thing as no returns on eBay. If its merely a size issue, I would kindly remind the buyer about the no return policy. However, be prepared that they can (and may) leave negative feedback. If the buyer starts complaining more and putting up a big stink about it, I've found it best in my experience to just accept the item back (they pay for shipping) and just block them from my future listings.

doctorman

Reaction score
i can imagine he would file a complaint, but i doubt he'd get a return. he can, though, give a bad review which can be pretty annoying.

i think a compromise would be - ask him to cover the shipping costs both ways and a small token "restocking" fee (if he is as professional as you described).

i imagine you wouldn't have difficulties selling the jeans again (unless you ripped him off and won't be able to sell at nearly the same price again, but that's a complete different story).

Last edited:

White Lotus

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I provide measurements in my listing and also note that I don't accept returns. However, there are numerous ways for a buyer to 'scam' the system and have eBay side with them. They can merely file a SNAD claim, claiming something along the lines of (yeah they are tagged a 31x32, but didn't fit like one at all, sizing is way off, etc) type claim and generally speaking eBay sides with the buyer in these types of situations.

The buyer could also potentially go the paypal dispute route. The only way I see a seller winning out in this scenario is to have the buyer in writing admitting to the fact that everything is ok with the item but they just didn't fit. Ebay would probably side with the seller in this instance but as I have noted in my experience I've run across numerous buyers who were disingenuous and I wound up having to accept a return.

For example, I sold a pair of brown shoes once that were noted by the manufacturer as the color brown. Buyer contacted me upon receipt saying the item didnt fit (despite the no return policy and noting it was their responsibility to verify fit in line with measurements/size provided). Buyer then filed a SNAD claim with eBay noting that the color was not 'brown' as described but was more of a 'brownish burgundy' and that I did not accurately describe the listing. In the end eBay made me accept a return, less I wanted to be out the money AND the item.

While noting 'no returns' can help reduce the number of returns or return requests you will receive, there really is no such thing as no returns on eBay. If its merely a size issue, I would kindly remind the buyer about the no return policy. However, be prepared that they can (and may) leave negative feedback. If the buyer starts complaining more and putting up a big stink about it, I've found it best in my experience to just accept the item back (they pay for shipping) and just block them from my future listings.
yeah **** ebay.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, guys. My main fear is the craziness of ebay in that it is buyer lenient. He can very easily register a complaint that argues that size was not inline with standard sizing. Whatever.

I'm leaning to denying his request especially since he ended up getting the jeans for 25% less than what I was asking for.,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads