• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Official Rick Owens Thread***

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yah by "current season" I meant f/w 14/15, thanks.

I haven't fussed with s/s 15 in person. Could be utter crap or genius level. I will defer to someone with in-hand experience (most of it probably hasn't shipped yet tho).

gotcha i was just making sure i was following what u were sayn, i completely agree, this fw14 when i saw heavy calf stooges i was like oh snap, fw13 wasn't bad either...

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you're new to the brand, sure, SS14/FW14 is quite nice compared to whatever else mr porter offers. I mean we've got the ambassador of RO in this thread wearing MEK / Diesel boot cut jeans with a full grain jacket (ew, honestly, full grain soft leather is considered attractive now?). That shearling posted above is the best thing i've seen in this thread aside from the stooges fit with the yellow cap, but none of this holds a candle to the material RO produced before Mountain. I mean, whatever...If you guys are happy, enjoy, but there is a world full of much better quality stuff out there for you to handle and enjoy. Sinnedk, you decided to take the reigns of the baller boot and RO thread, and yet have the worst possible fits and taste i've ever seen.. consult a stylist that deals in this kind of clothing and take a lesson in what is a decent quality fit. Blue boot cut jeans do not work, you seriously look like someone that walked into ed hardy and asked for the latest style. Jog a few miles a week. Do something, work out. It's not even fashion, no one will look good if they're dadcore wearing RO. I'm also honestly getting tired of hearing your advice as a bastion of great artisanal quality when you've been creamed on SZ and give off terrible advice to most people while asking for more. I appreciate you keep this forum going, but put a little more effort in the brands of this category. Intern if you have to. Handle more clothing. And seriously, the amount you pay on used clothing, you could save 2 more weeks of work money and go into one shop and get one killer fit that suits YOU.

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and yes I'm drunk!
cheers.gif

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full grain leather as opposed to what? What is higher quality and more attractive?

Prudy

Reaction score
Yeah if you're new to the brand, sure, SS14/FW14 is quite nice compared to whatever else mr porter offers. I mean we've got the ambassador of RO in this thread wearing MEK / Diesel boot cut jeans with a full grain jacket (ew, honestly, full grain soft leather is considered attractive now?). That shearling posted above is the best thing i've seen in this thread aside from the stooges fit with the yellow cap, but none of this holds a candle to the material RO produced before Mountain. I mean, whatever...If you guys are happy, enjoy, but there is a world full of much better quality stuff out there for you to handle and enjoy. Sinnedk, you decided to take the reigns of the baller boot and RO thread, and yet have the worst possible fits and taste i've ever seen.. consult a stylist that deals in this kind of clothing and take a lesson in what is a decent quality fit. Blue boot cut jeans do not work, you seriously look like someone that walked into ed hardy and asked for the latest style. Jog a few miles a week. Do something, work out. It's not even fashion, no one will look good if they're dadcore wearing RO. I'm also honestly getting tired of hearing your advice as a bastion of great artisanal quality when you've been creamed on SZ and give off terrible advice to most people while asking for more. I appreciate you keep this forum going, but put a little more effort in the brands of this category. Intern if you have to. Handle more clothing. And seriously, the amount you pay on used clothing, you could save 2 more weeks of work money and go into one shop and get one killer fit that suits YOU.

If you're such an OG, let's see some of those pre-Mountain pieces that nothing new can hold a candle to. Got any pics, etc. or are you just some kind of boring internet asshole? You know, because before 2012, back when the internet was small and not every Tom Dick or Hank could just troll somebody, the internet assholes were top-notch and they always came correct w/ the actual proof.

Last edited:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full grain leather as opposed to what? What is higher quality and more attractive?
He probably means compared to treated/washed leathers.

The full grain leather looks and feels great to me, and that's what I mainly care about. I don't have any brand loyalty, nor longing for items from the past.

What better quality stuff are you talking about exactly, @ExAngel ?

DarkSpiral

Reaction score
RO is a brand that kind of has gone up and down over the last few years. F/W 14 has been pretty decent from what I've seen, as is S/S 15.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you're such an OG, let's see some of those pre-Mountain pieces that nothing new can hold a candle to.  Got any pics, etc. or are you just some kind of boring internet asshole?  You know, because before 2012, back when the internet was small and not every Tom Dick or Hank could just troll somebody, the internet assholes were top-notch and they always came correct w/ the actual proof.

you were correct he is a king-sized internet asshole IME

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@thekunk07 I'd love to hear your opinion on the current state of the brand, since you may be the most experienced with Rick Owens besides Rick himself.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

@thekunk07
  I'd love to hear your opinion on the current state of the brand, since you may be the most experienced with Rick Owens besides Rick himself.

i am trying not to buy much of anything these days but i think crust was the last season of genuinely good quality. i think quality gets conflated with design here sometimes. i mean if you are a real leather whore, you wouldn't find any rick impressive aside from the reversed cow. the made in moldova ones from the last few seasons are definitely cheaper in feel than the stag/crust ones. the rick exploder from stag i have is a beautiful leather; the bauhaus I had from f/4 13 was cool but not impressive in quality. there is a pricing scale now so the glass ice and such can be had new for sub $2k while the really good quality leathers are more like 3k +. the new geo is cool but thin as ****.

i will also tell you i got a rip in my mountain ma-1 leather/down jacket and you can see the inner working; the insides/tailoring wouldn't impress a 2nd year fashion student and would horrify an old italian tailor.

Prudy

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for that insight. The FW14 heavy calf bauhaus I just got feels/looks great but I guess time will be the judge...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics