• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

hrb

Reaction score
I'll be watching this one. Hope Silva sticks around at 205 for a few fights.

Picks...

Silva late 2nd earl3rd tko
Herman
texeira
silva
davis
story

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So are they bringing up Silva to 205 to get ready for Jones? Havent been following MMA news/blogs lately...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silva has repeatedly said he won't fight Jones. The fight against Bonnar is one-shot deal to save UFC 153 after the Aldo-Edgar title fight fell through.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome card! :slayer:

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dana White is at the press conference now trying to sell Silva on a Jones fight. Silva would get worked and he knows it. With regard to this card, it looks like Herman will end up getting cut. Sucks too, if he actually got his **** together he'd be pretty damn good. I'd like to see Glover take on a good LHW wrestler either Davis or Evans would be a good match up for him.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silva-Jones is basically the only fight I could get excited about in the near term. I think a lot of semi-casual fans probably feel the same way, and Im probably done ordering PPV until it happens.

Dana needs to open the pocketbook and get it done, even if it means losing money on that particular card. I think $10,000,000 would start to the the Spider's attention.

The last Sonnen-Silva live gate grossed $7,000,000, which makes me think Silva Jones could bring in $10,000,000. Silva-Sonnen 2 had 1 million PPV buys. Assume Silva Jones could bring 1.5 million buys, thats like $60,000,000 to play with.

Dana could probably offer these guys $20,000,000 each and not come out too far in the hole. I dont think Silva is wealthy enough to turn that down.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He doesn't need to fight anyone.. There will always be those oh Silva NEEDS to fight this person and that person? What happens if he fights jones and beats him? People will just find another excuse to discredit the man. As mentioned he took the fight to save the card and put on a show for the Brazlian fans.

Over on sherdog, they say oh he needs to fight weidman blah blah blah blah, what has weidman done for ppl to think he can hang with Silva? He beat moneuz ... That's it.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Penn, unfortunately I think even semi-casual fans know that Silva would get worked. For upwards of a 10 million dollar payday (for Silva alone?) you would need a pretty insane card to go with it. The only reason Silva Sonnen II did as well as it did was because Sonnen came so close to beating Silva in Silva Sonnen I. Besides, I think the fight you're looking for is a 2009 match up between Fedor and Lesnar. Believe it or not, not enough people know Jones. I'm pretty sure if you had a list of the top 25 most recoginzed people in sports he wouldn't be on it. And I am saying that as a huge Jones fan.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Penn, unfortunately I think even semi-casual fans know that Silva is the G.O.A.T. who doesn't need a Jones fight to secure his legacy.

FTFY

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C you're absolutely right. I'm just saying that if he fought Jones he would lose. If he fought GSP he would win. He's down to fight one and not the other. Dana knows Silva would beat GSP and that's why he isn't as geeked to set it up as much as he'd like to do Silva/Jones. Dana just sees $$ signs sometimes. There are enough people in each division that you honestly don't need a "super fight".

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable. Sonnen last fought as a LHW in 2005, but his mouth allows him to leapfrog Henderson and Machida into a title fight. Don't get me wrong; I'm rooting for him to LNP Jones for 25 minutes so I can troll Slopho until the end of time. Unfortunately, the odds of that happening are less than the odds of Jones slipping on a banana peel on the way to the Octagon and fracturing his ankle.

Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of trolling slopho I really do hope Anderson fights Bones. Anderson beats Jones IMO but the latter can murk Anderson just as bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads