• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can anyone recommend a tailor to alter my shirts in the long beach area? willing to venture to los angeles or orange county, but not too far.

i live in lbc. sandoval's on 7th street downtown (right beside garage theater). guy does great work.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The list at the beginning got all fucked up after the forum change. Also, back then we couldn't edit posts after a certain amount of time but we are able to now.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The list at the beginning got all fucked up after the forum change. Also, back then we couldn't edit posts after a certain amount of time but we are able to now.

I'll start a new own tonight. Then people can add to it and I'll edit the original post. When it feels complete I can re-post it. I'll start with what we have and you guys can all let me know what I'm missing. I think I've got the clothing side down but I'm sure I'll be surprised by what other people come up with. Just today I went into an awesome antique hardware store that I think deserves a mention.

I think we can all benefit from a definitive food list. Even things like where to get good tortillas. I live in Southern California and almost every grocery store's tortillas are no good. I need a good Mexican market.

aizan

Reaction score
amapola super deli & market (in the vicinity of la casita mexicana) makes good tortillas.

oisin

Reaction score

I think we can all benefit from a definitive food list. Even things like where to get good tortillas. I live in Southern California and almost every grocery store's tortillas are no good. I need a good Mexican market.

i don't know where you are in LA but on the west side you can get pretty decent tortillas (also cheap produce, good chips, and other things) at Top Valu on Inglewood. Or just make your own. Masa, water, a tortilla press.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

i don't know where you are in LA but on the west side you can get pretty decent tortillas (also cheap produce, good chips, and other things) at Top Valu on Inglewood. Or just make your own. Masa, water, a tortilla press.

Maybe I should go that route. I make my own salsa anyway.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have jury duty tomorrow at the court near disney hall. bleh. wondering where to lunch...any recos? Thinking of checking out the spice table.

aizan

Reaction score
starry kitchen is a little closer to the courthouse. good for a quick lunch, even when it's busy.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depending on how good a walker/driver you are, you're very close to phillipe. and a stroll down the hill gets you to little tokyo. my pick there would be suehiro. there are a lot of places to eat downtown these days.
eta: you know that's also really close to a red line stop ... either take public tran there, or to get to lunch (there's another red line stop right next to langer's!)

Last edited:

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can i get in and out of langers in an 1.5 lunch break? hmmm......

probably just walk around the area....i go to little tokyo pretty frequently and chinatown since my parents have a condo along the gold line. had japanese there on sunday actually.....

gotta love the free wifi in the room though. :foo:

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can i get in and out of langers in an 1.5 lunch break? hmmm......

oh, easily. it's a 10-minute ride from civic center to the macarthur park station. figure in another 5-10 minute wait each way, you've still got more than an hour for your pastrami (hand-sliced, of course).
spice table is also really good. not as good for lunch as dinner (just sandwiches), and it is at the far end of little tokyo from where you'll be.
of course, another option would be grand central market. go to tacos a tumbra.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
might do grand central. also free admission to MOCA with juror badge...might pop in.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you've never been, it's a real trip. very chandler la. a lot of astonishingly bad food, but there are a few places that are good. the scene is amazing, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads