• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been biking all week as well, other than yesterday thanks to a particularly poorly placed DC pothole. It's amazing how much pollen accumulates on my bike during the course of the day. As long as I wash my face after riding, my allergies are somewhat manageable, but it definitely puts a damper on what otherwise would be a fantastic season in DC.
My allergies are thankfully minimal but today was crazy. Luckily as a guy you can just blow your nose while riding and nobody seems to care.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
Oooh... a DC thread!

I'm currently planning a move to the area and looking for sponsorship employment. Does anybody know of any British companies with offices/presence in the DMV area?

This is a very serious request and prepared to move my whole life over after 30 years in England. So if anyone can help, I'd be eternily greatful.

I'll share some pics of a recent trip. I've been 3 times this year and gearing up to get back there on the 4th May.

In addition to BABA, perhaps check out some of the Embassy events. You might not necessarily be the target audience, but you might stumble on some good connections. At worse you will probably run into me "working" diligently.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and pointers so far, lads!

I have to ask… though I understand ‘Jumbo Slice’ I still can’t understand why it’s the size of a normal pizza box.

View attachment 1944161
You must have been in Adams Morgan. As a resident of that neighborhood, I recommend that you stay far away from any variant of Jumbo Slice and go to Andy’s instead. Your body will thank you the next day.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like luxeswap? I need to get rid of stuff (my shoes are staying). But I have so many ties I’d like to get rid of.

My issue is he takes a lot of the profit & nmwa would make sense if I wanted something from nmwa. Maybe I could put the credit here on styleforum and take 10% off or something like that.

There are a few things you can sell on eBay yourself that the item speaks for itself. But, Spoo does get traffic regardless of the item. Plus, you don't have to worry about the logistics of shipping, payment, etc. I sold a pair of Alden "rare" shell cordovan shoes on eBay myself; they were over $600 and I got a tax form that I had to report as income. No worry about that with consignment.

You're never going to get back what you put into something - unless it's a Rolex (lol). If yo keep stuff you never wear it just collects dust. Just ship it off and forget it. At the end of the process you get some money back, probably more than the value of writing it off as a donation.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few things you can sell on eBay yourself that the item speaks for itself. But, Spoo does get traffic regardless of the item. Plus, you don't have to worry about the logistics of shipping, payment, etc. I sold a pair of Alden "rare" shell cordovan shoes on eBay myself; they were over $600 and I got a tax form that I had to report as income. No worry about that with consignment.

You're never going to get back what you put into something - unless it's a Rolex (lol). If yo keep stuff you never wear it just collects dust. Just ship it off and forget it. At the end of the process you get some money back, probably more than the value of writing it off as a donation.
I was wondering about this. If I have to declare that as income, can I write off my expenses Related to operating a clothing related eBay store?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ this is interesting because in the UK, you can earn up to £12k before declaring it if I recall. I'm assuming anything earned in the US you can have to declare regardless?

I'm ideally wanting to carry over the resale element over the pond, so would be useful to know too.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the things I have sold and bought on ebay recently have had an additional tax fee tacked on paid by the seller or buyer. Not sure about any forms later on since i don't run this as a business.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about this. If I have to declare that as income, can I write off my expenses Related to operating a clothing related eBay store?
Most of the things I have sold and bought on ebay recently have had an additional tax fee tacked on paid by the seller or buyer. Not sure about any forms later on since i don't run this as a business.
In theory, you’re supposed to report all income but in practice most people don’t because of materiality. It’s not practical to expect ordinary citizens to keep up with what they paid for their clothes, subtract out depreciation, and then calculate a tax on income

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand that but honestly it should not be taxed anyways imo. It already has been at least once. Then again there are a great many thinks we shouldn't have to pay tax on.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In theory, you’re supposed to report all income but in practice most people don’t because of materiality. It’s not practical to expect ordinary citizens to keep up with what they paid for their clothes, subtract out depreciation, and then calculate a tax on income
Backup. Can we legally take depreciation on clothing?

If I go to a restaurant with a buddy of mine, and he forgets his wallet so Venmo’s me. Am I legally supposed to report that as income?

gimpwiz

Reaction score
That is the annoyance. Venmo files paperwork. You probably have to address it as explicitly not income versus before never mentioning it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pinealguardians