• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

AndrewDoesHair

Reaction score
Get the sideburns and nape (mullet zone) trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks and as the rest of your hair gets longer it'll lay back more easily. The longer it is, the more it bends. Use a hairdryer and a brush to pull it back in small sections as you dry it and you can get a plethora of looks from it as it grows. Glue it back with product and it looks like it was glued back, but change what it wants to do by using a hairdryer, making it lay back before you apply product, and you can use any product on it that you want for various looks. Once the hair is long enough it'll do more than just lay back, it'll start to move and fall by it's own weight, when this happens it'll benefit you to have your hairdresser shape up the sides so that you have some proper shape (hair that falls within confined parameters always falls attractively. Hair that falls without shape looks like a mess. This is the difference between looking like you just woke up and looking like you just woke up next to a supermodel). A lot of people with thick hair like yours think they need to thin it out to make it manageable, but if you want it to lay back this is the last thing you'll want to do. Thinning the hair removes weight, but weight is what makes hair lay down. Every hair that they cut shorter to thin it out will then want to act the way your hair acts when it's shorter-- it'll want to stick out.

benjawood

Reaction score
Hi guys im new to this forum. I have been trying to the slicked back hairstyle, however with not great succes. In the first 1-2 hours the hair is slicked back and looks fine but after some time my hair starts to go to the sides instead of back. I put water in my hair and then dry it with a towel and then i apply styling cream first in order to get it back and then i finish it with a clay wax and finish it with a comb. Any tips or advice?

Here are the products i use and how my hair typically looks after some time

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dry it lightly with a towel, put in a bit of styling cream and then blowdry while brushing it back

Your hair looks pretty thick though, most who do slicked back or something similar have thin hair as it generally suits the style better, so if it still doesn't work maybe you should consider some other hairstyle?

Last edited:

benjawood

Reaction score
Dry it lightly with a towel, put in a bit of styling cream and then blowdry while brushing it back

Your hair looks pretty thick though, most who do slicked back or something similar have thin hair as it generally suits the style better, so if it still doesn't work maybe you should consider some other hairstyle?

I have wax in my hair, just to make sure.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Mulan What do you use for your hair to make it nice and soft, with volume? I have coarse, fine, prickly hair with a subtle curl (Asian hair)

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mulan What do you use for your hair to make it nice and soft, with volume? I have coarse, fine, prickly hair with a subtle curl (Asian hair)
I don't use products outside of cleaning my hair, haven't even used a conditioner in a year because I've been too lazy to buy some.

To answer your question, a leave in conditioner works, but do understand that it will only work to some extent depending on the length of your hair, and what you want to do with it. Apply onto hair when very damp, and blow dry into the position you desire. I have the same type of hair as you, but my hair reaches down to my shoulders. The weight of it pulls it down rather than sticking straight out. With our hair type, that's just the nature of it. Iirc, @AndrewDoesHair did a video a year or two ago on this topic, but has taken the video down. Maybe he'll have better tips on this.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About a years progress

Usually shower with just water about 2 times a week and with schampoo once every 2 or 3 weeks, think it works pretty well but if anyone has any recommendations for something to put in while/after showering I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was at Costco the other day. I did not know what to pick so just grabbed the Kirkland brand. There was one shampoo talking about argan oil. That's good right? :puzzled:

lol

At least the Kirkland brand smelled nice and lathered well in my hair.

@Mulan That is great man. My hair will never be that long. I've use some leave in conditioner before, not a fan. I go between water soluble pomade and Sumotech. Most days I rinse hair in the sink, hand comb it, check the side profile and front and I'm good to go. When it gets longer that obviously starts to look more unkempt but for a few weeks after a haircut it is fine.

Last edited:

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
Hey Folks. So I am getting a hair system, it is like the virtual reality system, but is more dense - folligraft. It is a membrane system so it is almost invisible. I have been bald for so long I am not sure where to go with hair Styles. I am uploading a picture of myself in the hopes you guys can tell me what shape face I have and what hair style might suit me...please help.

What shape do I have? Any ideas for styles?

THANK YOU.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member