• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the point is that the vast majority of workers in the LA garment industry are Latino immigrants, which is objectively true. This is from 1999, but that's when I was in LA, and working with the fashion industry in LA:
90% of workers in the garment industry are Latino. I am not sure if whether the study differentiates between native born and immigrant workers. However, I would expect that a lot of them are immigrants. I l learned Spanish not in small part to be able to communicate better with Latino garment industry workers in LA.

what in the world does an anecdote from los angeles in 1999 have to do with anything being discussed rn

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in the sense that the premise of native born americans refusing to run a sewing machine simply isn't true

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m unsure what&#39;s the contestation is here. <br><br>Someone said that we should cut immigration, and I said that these jobs are mostly taken by immigrants who learned how to sew back home and have fewer economic prospects in the US. Thus, they take these jobs. <br><br>Native-born Americans…</p>&mdash; derek guy (@dieworkwear) <a href="">October 28, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That seems like a pretty reasonable take to me. I think the issue is less that native-born Americans "refuse to run a sewing machine" and more that they generally have better economic opportunities than the immigrant laborers who work in garment factories that pay very poorly.

Edit: I clearly don't know how to embed a tweet, but you get the point.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what in the world does los angeles in 1999 have to do with anything being discussed rn
Huh? It's an academic article about the garment industry and the demographic breakdown of the workforce in different roles in the garment industry. The ethnic breakdown is similar today, with maybe more women from the poorer parts of Asia. The vast majority of workers in that low paying, grueling occupaton are immigrants. The same can be said about orchard workers, farm laborers, etc...

Derek's point was that immigrants are vital to the certain sectors of the US economy. How is this *not* relevant to the present discussion?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? It's an academic article about the garment industry and the demographic breakdown of the workforce in different roles in the garment industry. The ethnic breakdown is similar today, with maybe more women from the poorer parts of Asia. The vast majority of workers in that low paying, grueling occupaton are immigrants. The same can be said about orchard workers, farm laborers, etc...

Derek's point was that immigrants are vital to the certain sectors of the US economy. How is this *not* relevant to the present discussion?

ok well los angeles is 50% latino as it is ( we could of course delve into the population of downtown la where the garment district is located but why bother ? ) i'm not sure why representation in the textile trades would be a surprise . but we're not talking about latino identity we're talking about native born / immigration status .

and while we're at it i'll go ahead and say there is quite a lot of agricultural work that is done by native born workers and to ignore that work is frankly wrong

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m unsure what&#39;s the contestation is here. <br><br>Someone said that we should cut immigration, and I said that these jobs are mostly taken by immigrants who learned how to sew back home and have fewer economic prospects in the US. Thus, they take these jobs. <br><br>Native-born Americans…</p>&mdash; derek guy (@dieworkwear) <a href="">October 28, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That seems like a pretty reasonable take to me. I think the issue is less that native-born Americans "refuse to run a sewing machine" and more that they generally have better economic opportunities than the immigrant laborers who work in garment factories that pay very poorly.

Edit: I clearly don't know how to embed a tweet, but you get the point.

ever see a union tag in a garment ? i have . do you remember nafta ? i do . this really doesn't have to be the conversation

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ever see a union tag in a garment ? i have . do you remember nafta ? i do . this really doesn't have to be the conversation
Oh yes. You're speaking my language. I try to buy union-made garments as much as possible, and would love to be able to buy more.

But I took his tweet to be more of an empirical statement of fact about the way things are today and less a normative statement about the way things should be. Like theoretically limiting immigration such that there are fewer individuals willing to take these low-paying jobs might mean that the employers would raise wages to attract folks who have better opportunities ("native-born Americans") but the more likely scenario is that they will offshore that labor to factories overseas.

Re: unionization – yes I'm sure that would raise wages, but consumers have to be willing to pay more for the garment to support those wages. I think part of the point he is making is that consumers are so conditioned to paying very little for garments that they simply won't bear the cost of those higher wages, and will shift to consuming cheaper alternatives produced elsewhere. So then the factory shuts down. I'm not an economist but I assume the only way around that is protectionist tariffs.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok well los angeles is 50% latino as it is ( we could of course delve into the population of downtown la where the garment district is located but why bother ? ) i'm not sure why representation in the textile trades would be a surprise . but we're not talking about latino identity we're talking about native born / immigration status .

and while we're at it i'll go ahead and say there is quite a lot of agricultural work that is done by native born workers and to ignore that work is frankly wrong.
omg.

"93% of garment workers in 1990 were immigrants"

the fraction is roughly the same today.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your kids going to do now? Go to college and get white collar jobs? The suffering! The insult! The injustice!

my kiddo is 8 and goes to school on a farm , he also speaks 3 languages and just gave a dance recital . he'll do whatever the **** he wants

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in . los . angeles . what is wrong with you
I don't understand what your position is.

As a factual matter, do you actually doubt that the majority of individuals working in garment factories in the United States are immigrants? Do you actually doubt that most of these factories pay very low wages that are unattractive to people with more/better economic opportunities?

As a normative matter, how do you want garment manufacturing in the United States to look? Unionization + higher wages? I would like that too, but if that's the case how do you propose getting the average American consumer to actually pay the higher price of a garment produced with those higher costs?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yes. You're speaking my language. I try to buy union-made garments as much as possible, and would love to be able to buy more.

But I took his tweet to be more of an empirical statement of fact about the way things are today and less a normative statement about the way things should be. Like theoretically limiting immigration such that there are fewer individuals willing to take these low-paying jobs might mean that the employers would raise wages to attract folks who have better opportunities ("native-born Americans") but the more likely scenario is that they will offshore that labor to factories overseas.

Re: unionization – yes I'm sure that would raise wages, but consumers have to be willing to pay more for the garment to support those wages. I think part of the point he is making is that consumers are so conditioned to paying very little for garments that they simply won't bear the cost of those higher wages, and will shift to consuming cheaper alternatives produced elsewhere. So then the factory shuts down. I'm not an economist but I assume the only way around that is protectionist tariffs.

first i'll say i appreciate you and i will make my case in response to this post and also explain the issue i have with the previous framing

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in . los . angeles . what is wrong with you
"Native-born Americans are not going to sew clothes in these garment factories. When I interviewed an LA-based garment worker yesterday about whether she's ever seen a white native-born American work as a sewer in these factories, she straight up laughed."

Literally about Los Angeles.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no it's literally about native born americans
The point is that the US needs immigration, especially in certain sectors. The tweet was in reply to a dumb tweet (most of them are, but this was was both succinct and succinctly stupid: "Cut immigration."

In LA, the workforce in the garment industry is overwhelmingly immigrant. Nationwide, the fraction of sewers who are immigrants is about 55%, including both documented and undocumented immigrants. The unemployment rate in the US is under 4%, a number that is a bit of a lowball, since it does not count those who have stopped looking for work. However, I think that you can see that the garment industry would straight up shut down if the labor supply from immigration stopped.

The highest fraction of immigrant workers is in the personal appearance category though, something around 63%. Work in food processing and sorting is next, at around 60%.

This is in stark contrast to the overall fraction of the population that is comprised of immigrants (documented and undocumented, which is estimated at 13.6%).

I mean, not much of a surprising finding, and hardly unique the US. But you go off, king.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads