• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He blocked me off instagram for liking a comment on a post of his. I used to defend him on here too. Guess he’s super sensitive ever since he left here.

I still enjoy his writing, but man that’s a whole new level of sensitivity right there and I’d be lying if I didn’t think that was lame of him.

Even though unfortunately me and Derek now have beef fo’ life

I mean she literally interviewed a black guy in the podcast who said something along the lines of “I saw a guy wearing colorful Ralph Lauren clothes on and I said wow I’ve never seen that before and so we chased him and tried to rob him of his clothes”

And she had nothing negative to say about that. Wouldn’t that be “pushing the narrative”?

oh, you're that bozo from a few months back who holds internet grudges with menswear writers and clutches your pearls over fashion podcasts, lol... nvm, forget i asked.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the discussion was actually really interesting and got into a back and forth about what is luxury? Is it driven by craft?...
Derek seemed to sort of settle in on craft. Jeremy settled in on something being sort of unobtainable (from a price standpoint mostly) but also an experience. Rob kind of settled in on something that justifies its price through materials or make and the story. They also agreed authentic scarcity plays a role but the artificial scarcity and “drop culture” (my words not theirs) did not.
Huh... that Derek settled on craft is a bit surprising, given the things he has said about the overemphasis on "quality" as measured only by craftsmanship, here. I would have thought that he would have fallen along story and genuine exclusivity. with craft in third as necessary but not sufficient. But hey, I guess that people change?

sargeinaz

Reaction score
oh, you're that bozo from a few months back who holds internet grudges with menswear writers and clutches your pearls over fashion podcasts, lol... nvm, forget i asked.
First quote I said is true. He’s very sensitive now and is still good at writing and I’d still read his writing about clothes. Second quote was sarcasm clearly. Third quote is true.

You proved my point by sifting through my posts just to make that post. You’re a cornball fam 😄 sitting here quoting his twitter telling people “he’s fine”. I hold internet grudges like you wear internet capes defending menswear writers.

Last edited:

marmite

Reaction score
Huh... that Derek settled on craft is a bit surprising, given the things he has said about the overemphasis on "quality" as measured only by craftsmanship, here. I would have thought that he would have fallen along story and genuine exclusivity. with craft in third as necessary but not sufficient. But hey, I guess that people change?
I don't know if quality is the aspect of craft he's concerned with. His Twitter schtick seems to be "build your wardrobe from socially and environmentally responsible sources". Quality plays into the latter in that well crafted garments last longer thus reducing waste, but only if executed in carefully considered, timeless, design. Timeless design is what separates true craft from fashion which is more concerned with flipping trends.

I like his twitter engagement overall. He's reaching wider audience (routinely getting 100k views and 1k+ likes) and spreading the right ideas. The platform limits don't bother him much as he's bypassing them by posting links to his longer articles. I do feel that he'll run out of content at some point given his hectic publishing rate but the dude is smart - hopefully he'll come up with something new.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I interpreted what I’m translating his argument into “craft” was actually in line with what your expectations would have been. It wasn’t about quality for quality’s sake or a technical aspect of craft and is a handsewn button hole or hand welted shoe luxury.

I don’t want to put words in his mouth but the prompt was also what is a luxury brand, not what is good or interesting and he brought up some interesting/well done things that aren’t luxury.

The way I’m dumbing down his 45 minute discussion seemed much more in line with the story of the small craftsman who has perfected what they do because of an interest or passion in it, the genuine exclusivity/scarcity that comes from fewer artisans being willing or able to execute it, only being able to make so many of anything.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I interpreted what I’m translating his argument into “craft” was actually in line with what your expectations would have been. It wasn’t about quality for quality’s sake or a technical aspect of craft and is a handsewn button hole or hand welted shoe luxury.

I don’t want to put words in his mouth but the prompt was also what is a luxury brand, not what is good or interesting and he brought up some interesting/well done things that aren’t luxury.

The way I’m dumbing down his 45 minute discussion seemed much more in line with the story of the small craftsman who has perfected what they do because of an interest or passion in it, the genuine exclusivity/scarcity that comes from fewer artisans being willing or able to execute it, only being able to make so many of anything.
Sounds like hand engraving in California.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Passion only goes so far. As one of those artisans, I can only say there comes a point where you need to stop cutting bait and fish. I have been on the bait side because I have a full time job. But if I were to make a full time run at my business, I would need to produce a lot more product, which would likely change the method I currently use from artisan to production. I would need orders from bigger companies and higher volumes, and money to market them. When you're small there are so many ways to get squeezed out of existence, so yeah, I would make a collab with Tiffany if they called.

I think the bigger point is when (some) big companies decide to make a collaboration, they don't need to put any real effort into the product. They don't innovate or make anything new, they just make the same bulls#*t and print money. All fine by the way, I see no issue with it as long as the product is made to last a long time and be in style for decades. We all know that is not the case. Its just greed.

-DL

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A+ work

E0F0C18B-F306-4929-AAD6-C70710D3175E.jpeg

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A turtleneck with suit jacket while living in Texas? I won't even wear an undershirt with a thin dress shirt, so this is accurate.

Texas? That'd be more like Cocaine Chupacabra.

jeremygo

Reaction score
I’ve really enjoyed Derek’s appearances on the Blamo pod and listened to a few other older eps that seemed interesting. Any other menswear pods (ideally focused on tailoring/classic menswear) folks would recommend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads