• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand what he is trying to imply about Derek?

He went on to clarify (paraphrasing here) that Derek is basically for nerdy dudes who want to learn how to dress for dates, and that the jokey persona is comes off as judgmental to those who take fashion seriously or is an aspect of performative masculinity to guard against being 'really' into fashion. Can't argue with the first point, but don't know that I agree on the later points. I've always thought Derek has been pretty open that he's really into fashion in a deep sense and isn't bothered by the fact that its typically been coded as a feminine interest.

The food guy is Joe Rosenthal who describes himself a 'food antagonist' calling out sh*tty people in the food world (professional chefs, youtube chefs, restaurants, etc.) and has a couple of good recipes/guides that he shares on his site.

jeremygo

Reaction score
He went on to clarify (paraphrasing here) that Derek is basically for nerdy dudes who want to learn how to dress for dates
Joke's on him, none of us nerds are going on dates!*

I followed Joe Rosenthal for a while but I got tired of it how negative it all is. Granted, he's often calling out a**holes, but he also just seems to be angry about everything everywhere.

(*joking of course)

jaaz16

Reaction score
Just went to his IG stories to get the context. He strikes me as someone who just heard of Derek after he blew up on Twitter, because he seemed to be saying that Derek would never recommend a belt from Self Edge? Derek's tailoring threads seem to be the most viral and I think it's causing people who don't post on "The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread" to have no idea what he's actually into.

One related thing that is interesting that I don't think gets talked about much is how Derek is very rules oriented with tailoring but ONLY tailoring; his casual wear inspo and interests are all over the place.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Buggy

Reaction score
Joke's on him, none of us nerds are going on dates!*

I followed Joe Rosenthal for a while but I got tired of it how negative it all is. Granted, he's often calling out a**holes, but he also just seems to be angry about everything everywhere.

(*joking of course)
I recently reached this point with Rosenthal as well. Some of his exposé style instagram stories were valuable and his pizza info is great, but i just don’t have the bandwidth for his constant negativity.

I basically lost my mind when he said Kenji “perpetuated harmful misinformation” related to MSG. Kenji’s long standing MSG stance is that it’s not dangerous and doesn’t cause headaches, but if you feel it does for you, fine —don’t use it!

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Kenji is right of course, as always. No peer-reviewed scientific study has _ever_ substantiated the idea that anyone has MSG sensitivity, unless they also have table salt sensitivity, nor that MSG is more of a problem to health than table salt. In other words, MSG is reasonably similar to salt in terms of its health effects. Use it, or don't, it's up to you. Taste-wise, it's easy to use too much, but that's a different story. What's the guy's beef with that?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kenji is right of course, as always. No peer-reviewed scientific study has _ever_ substantiated the idea that anyone has MSG sensitivity, unless they also have table salt sensitivity, nor that MSG is more of a problem to health than table salt. In other words, MSG is reasonably similar to salt in terms of its health effects. Use it, or don't, it's up to you. Taste-wise, it's easy to use too much, but that's a different story. What's the guy's beef with that?

I think the argument is that any sort of anti-MSG stance is related to anti-Asian xenophobia.

I tend to agree…case in point, you never hear people complain about the MSG in Doritos.

And, by not fully disavowing anti-MSG sentiments (i.e hedging with “if it makes you feel bad then don’t use it”) is akin to perpetuating those harmful stereotypes.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the take is that any sort of anti-MSG stance is related to anti-Asian xenophobia.

Case in point, you never hear people complain about the MSG in Doritos.

that's b/c doritos are delicious .

this convo reminds me of the time i went to a spaghetti place and my friend's mom frowned and said 'too much msg ' ... she was right of course but she wasn't being xenophobic , she was from china and owned a chain of chinese restaurants .

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MSG is literally the sodium salt of glutamate, one of the 20 amino acids that make up all proteins in your body. Anyone who claims that MSG is harmful has no understanding of biology.

The origin of MSG’s purported harmful effects was a prank letter submitted to the New England Journal of Medicine.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member