• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No shade to Simon, who has really good taste and clearly understands the finer things, but I really can't get into his writing, especially when it comes to casual clothes. I mean I kinda like the tee but the way he describes it gives me the ick. I don't want to feel elegant and proper, with even my tee fitting just right; I want to feel cool (to the extent that's possible). His writing gives off vibes of the former not the latter.
To be fair to Simon, he has never purported to be cool in the way that you would probably define cool, if you were forced to do so.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is the common issue of many people who switch from elegant to casual clothes. As if they want to apply elegance to casual wear, which, however, does not work well. That's why they don't look cool in casual clothes, they are trying too hard and they are not relaxed. In addition, Simon analyzes and complicates everything too much, in my opinion.
Analysis is fine, but the type of analysis I find interesting is primarily mythical, historical and sociological in varying degrees. There is a limited amount to say about how something fits a human body, how many SPI, and how even is the stitching. But what inspirations someone might draw their ideas of "cool" from, from Bruce Boyer's interest in On the Waterfront to @dieworkwear 's interest in the Lo Boys can fill up hours of conversation.

I posted this in another thread, and I am personally loving this (song, look, everything) mixed with Mick Jagger's style in the 60s and 70s.

Love that South Western feel.

Last edited:

brill

Reaction score
To be fair to Simon, he has never purported to be cool in the way that you would probably define cool, if you were forced to do so.
c370ffce-cf0b-4d2d-a959-17d1bd30ffc4_text.gif

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Analysis is fine, but the type of analysis I find interesting is primarily mythical, historical and sociological in varying degrees. There is a limited amount to say about how something fits a human body, how many SPI, and how even is the stitching. But what inspirations someone might draw their ideas of "cool" from, from Bruce Boyer's interest in On the Waterfront to @dieworkwear 's interest in the Lo Boys can fill up hours of conversation.

I posted this in another thread, and I am personally loving this (song, look, everything) mixed with Mick Jagger's style in the 60s and 70s.

Love that South Western feel.

emmylou harris on backing vocals

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I agree, cool (in aesthetic sense) can be a huge and interesting topic.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Are there any galleries/ pictures knocking about of what Derek actually wears?
I've got a lot of time for him, as I find him amusing on Twitter, and before he stopped posting he always had time to answer my stupid questions in the Advice forum.
But he seems to talk a lot more these days about what he doesn't like, and what he thinks are bad examples of menswear, rather than demonstrating what he believes is good. So I'd like to see some pictures of what he likes to wear himself.
(He never seems to post pictures on Die Workwear or Put This On, or join in with the WYWTD threads on here, unless I just miss that stuff when he posted it).

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a lot of time for him, as I find him amusing on Twitter, and before he stopped posting he always had time to answer my stupid questions in the Advice forum.
But he seems to talk a lot more these days about what he doesn't like, and what he thinks are bad examples of menswear, rather than demonstrating what he believes is good. So I'd like to see some pictures of what he likes to wear himself.
(He never seems to post pictures on Die Workwear or Put This On, or join in with the WYWTD threads on here, unless I just miss that stuff when he posted it).
No. But you can find a bunch of pictures of examples that he likes and he describes certain things he has and how he wears them. In a world full of influencers and bloggers trying to flex and get a bunch of likes on a fit I kinda respect his commitment to anonymity to be honest.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He used to post a lot of pictures of a composed outfit on a wood floor. Frequently it was a suede or leather jacket, t-shirt or other casual shirt or sweater, well worn jeans or 5-pocket casual pants, and casual shoes (boots, loafers, or expensive monochrome sneakers). See examples below.

tumblr_inline_o809luH22q1qfex1b_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_p827ppQMfQ1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_peb3d0RHWU1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pdge2rySWs1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_o8h1huuGV21qfex1b_540.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Interesting. I always felt he was more interested in casual wear. Definitely when he used to give me tips in the Advice forum they leaned that way. He obviously knows a lot about formalwear and tailoring as well though.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. But you can find a bunch of pictures of examples that he likes and he describes certain things he has and how he wears them. In a world full of influencers and bloggers trying to flex and get a bunch of likes on a fit I kinda respect his commitment to anonymity to be honest
In person, he dresses well - everything is thought through. Not very flashy. He was more CM when we met, in a sports jacket, a tweed iirc, and he was very interested in my oxblood, DIYed Margiela 5-zip, which I think he got a version of not long after.

I think that he is very online, and is more shy and less opinionated (or at least he was), off line. I'm not sure that he doesn't post pictures of himself online as a mattter of principle. I think that it's more of a reflection of his more quiet offline personality.

Last edited:

willyto

Reaction score
In person, he dresses well, bgui
I dont doubt it but for someone who writes so much about clothing I personally find the fact that he never posted any fit pic nor shares a thing a bit annoying specially when he is talking about "bad fits". A bit like never sharing a fit pic on WAYWT but having things to say about the other people's fits.

It's entertaining to read for sure but other than that I feel something is missing for me. I can't feel related to him in any way nor any connection with what he writes because I might know he wears Nicholas Templeman bespokes shoes so he has great taste but if I can't see them worn reading about them isn't very interesting, I want to see how they look worn and used in outfits.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont doubt it but for someone who writes so much about clothing I personally find the fact that he never posted any fit pic nor shares a thing a bit annoying specially when he is talking about "bad fits". A bit like never sharing a fit pic on WAYWT but having things to say about the other people's fits.

It's entertaining to read for sure but other than that I feel something is missing for me. I can't feel related to him in any way nor any connection with what he writes because I might know he wears Nicholas Templeman bespokes shoes so he has great taste but if I can't see them worn reading about them isn't very interesting, I want to see how they look worn and used in outfits.
I get it, but you are thinking of him as an exemplar, which is not his chosen role. He is more of a scholar and sometimes guide.

The best coach is not always the best player, and vice versa.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads