• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheDeavs

Reaction score
So I'm interested in getting some Carmina Chelseas from a GMTO.
This will be my first higher end shoe and trying to get my sizing down.
I am 10.5 US Brannock and on the AE 5 I wear some 10.5 Strands, but the toe box was a little tight so I had them stretched.
I want to size for the Carmina Rain last, and from this thread seams like I would need 9.5UK. I did see that the Rain is a narrower cut though so I'm worried about that toe box.
Should I just go for the 9.5UK or would it be a better idea to go for 10UK?

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'm interested in getting some Carmina Chelseas from a GMTO.
This will be my first higher end shoe and trying to get my sizing down.
I am 10.5 US Brannock and on the AE 5 I wear some 10.5 Strands, but the toe box was a little tight so I had them stretched.
I want to size for the Carmina Rain last, and from this thread seams like I would need 9.5UK. I did see that the Rain is a narrower cut though so I'm worried about that toe box.
Should I just go for the 9.5UK or would it be a better idea to go for 10UK?

I think you'll be good with Rain in 9.5UK.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which Rain size is the most compatible to C&J UK 7, EG 7.5/8, JLP UK 7 (I don't specify lasts here, since they always work regardless of lasts)?

thuhoan

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input. I got my Simpson size right. For my not so wide feet (E):

Church's 136 UK6.5
C&J 337 & 348 UK6.5
Carmina Simpson UK7

Hope this helps.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please let us know how that works for you.
Also worth noting is that individual pairs by Carmina created on the same last seem to be quite different. I've tried different pairs on Rain and they all fit differently eventhough most of them were some kind of captoe oxfords.

After a week of stretching as i was out of town, it loosen a bit and it works best at heel - now it's bit loosen for me

sensuki

Reaction score
I'm also interested in picking up a pair of the Carmina Chelseas in the current GMTO.

Not sure what my brannock is.

I have a pair of Crockett & Jones Skye II Cordovan in UK 6.5 (335 last) - the left foot fits great, but the right foot is too small I think (smaller toes hit the edge uncomfortably), need to wear them a bit more to see if the right foot becomes more comfortable.

I also have a pair of Thorogood Dodgeville in US size 7.5D (started with a 7D, too small on my right foot so I exchanged for 7.5) and a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers in size 7D.

Last edited:

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, that sucks. Sorry to hear. Did not happened to me so far. I usually use just a thin pair and only for 2-3 days. Do you have heel slip now? How is the fit in the front?

No prompt heel slip, just loosen, or feeling like it has finished break-in process.
Front is still bit cramped as I looked inside (it's too hot here, some sweat marks remains even with thin socks), the pinky toe is still slightly pinched inwards, yet it's far better than first week.
I was using UK7 Carmina shoe tree for the stretching, and switched back to UK6 one once I came back, and leave the UK7 for Llubi Chelsea.

At least I could wear it for a full day last Sat/Sun. So I could still confirms I wear same size in Rain/Simpson, as Betty/Jaime suggested.

kageboshi

Reaction score
could anyone recommend me a good shoe tree to use for the simpsom last? i tried to use the woodlore ones and it stretched my loafers :\

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, that sucks. Sorry to hear. Did not happened to me so far. I usually use just a thin pair and only for 2-3 days. Do you have heel slip now? How is the fit in the front?

Some updates: Now I could tight the buckles to tightest to reduce slip & without discomfort on ball - so your method works.

Jhfan

Reaction score
hi guys, i wear UK7 in my carmina rain last oxfords and UK7 uetam loafers
and im thinking to get a pair of alden LHS loafers, wt size would you recommend?
TIA

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads