• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neuromancer8

Reaction score
Hoping this helps with some of the sizing. I'm 10.5D Brannock (right foot) 10D Brannock left foot. I tend to wear orthotics, so my instep is pretty high.

From left to right:

Inca 9.5UK
Rain 9.5UK
Robert 9.5UK
Forest (Skoaktiebolaget) 9.5UK
Forest (Epaulet) 9.5UK
C&J 348 9.5UK
Alden Barrie 10D US

For some reason, the Epaulet version of the Forest was much narrower than the Skoaktiebolaget shoe (though you can't see in this picture due to the 360 welt on the Epaulet shoe) - I had to get the instep portion/width stretched twice by a cobbler for it to fit me. I wonder if Skoaktiebolaget's Forest is wide by default, and Epaulet is medium width by default.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I've had some oddness fitting Forest, as well. A pair of oxfords from the Carmina webstore in 10UK fit pretty well (a little loose on my smaller left foot), but 9.5UK derbies from Epaulet also fit, and 10UK balmoral and derby boots are loose (should have gone 9.5UK).

Neuromancer8

Reaction score
Does size in Forest = size in Robert?
I wear the same size in both. The two are side by side below (please excuse the crappy iPhone photo). Left is Forest, and right is Robert, both from Skoaktiebolaget. They are about the same width in the heel, and the Robert is a tad (~1-2mm) narrower in the toe.

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Forest comes in E, EE, and EEE widths. That would account for the difference people see. EE feels narrower than rain and inca from personal experience.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Neuromancer8 you are exactly my size in every way possible....even with your left and right foot discrepencies

mikeharo

Reaction score

Hoping this helps with some of the sizing. I'm 10.5D Brannock (right foot) 10D Brannock left foot. I tend to wear orthotics, so my instep is pretty high.
From left to right: Inca 9.5UK Rain 9.5UK Robert 9.5UK Forest (Skoaktiebolaget) 9.5UK Forest (Epaulet) 9.5UK C&J 348 9.5UK Alden Barrie 10D US For some reason, the Epaulet version of the Forest was much narrower than the Skoaktiebolaget shoe (though you can't see in this picture due to the 360 welt on the Epaulet shoe) - I had to get the instep portion/width stretched twice by a cobbler for it to fit me. I wonder if Skoaktiebolaget's Forest is wide by default, and Epaulet is medium width by default.
I wear the same size in both. The two are side by side below (please excuse the crappy iPhone photo). Left is Forest, and right is Robert, both from Skoaktiebolaget. They are about the same width in the heel, and the Robert is a tad (~1-2mm) narrower in the toe.
thank-you very much!

FraudulentTom

Reaction score
So, I was thinking about acquiring my first pair of carminas... I'm a 10D in AE 5 last, which fits snugly but comfortably width-wise, but is really too low in the instep (laces still don't really close after break-in). Is the rain last likely to work well for me? If so, am I likely a 9.5?

nosrep123

Reaction score
I would like to know how to size in a Rain last shell cordovan chukka boot.

I own a pair of shell boots in 8UK Forest last, and it is roomy when I wear thin dress socks (the instep is actually just right). But not too roomy that I can't wear it. I have a high instep, and if not for my instep I probably would have gone with a 7.5UK.

For reference, my brannock size is actually between an 8 and 8.5 US size. I wear an 8.5D in Allen Edmonds 5 last bluchers, and 8.5E in 5 last oxfords (perhaps 9D or 8EE would work too). 7.5 in Alden Barrie last.

Last edited:

nosrep123

Reaction score

Simpson for me personally, is just a standard D width. The elongated toe may pinch for some that are not used to it. If you have a very high instep however, this last may not be for you, as you will have trouble tightening the laces on any oxford models.

How about for a chukka boot?

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to know how to size in a Rain last shell cordovan chukka boot.

I own a pair of shell boots in 8UK Forest last, and it is roomy when I wear thin dress socks (the instep is actually just right). But not too roomy that I can't wear it. I have a high instep, and if not for my instep I probably would have gone with a 7.5UK.

For reference, my brannock size is actually between an 8 and 8.5 US size. I wear an 8.5D in Allen Edmonds 5 last bluchers, and 8.5E in 5 last oxfords (perhaps 9D or 8EE would work too). 7.5 in Alden Barrie last.

I am not sure that, without actually trying the shoes on, anyone can help you. I wear an 8UK Rain and I believe that would be to big for you. A 7.5auKnRain likely too small. You need to try them on to know for sure.

nosrep123

Reaction score

I am not sure that, without actually trying the shoes on, anyone can help you. I wear an 8UK Rain and I believe that would be to big for you. A 7.5auKnRain likely too small. You need to try them on to know for sure.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any shops =(

How much larger is the Rain last vs the Forest? If I were to buy a pair right now I'd get the Rain in 7.5UK, seeing as how Rain has a higher instep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads