• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are rain and simpson basically the same except for the rain being wider? are both the same length? the toe looks basically the same.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are rain and simpson basically the same except for the rain being wider? are both the same length? the toe looks basically the same.
Rain is wider, and the last is roomier. Length appears the same to me. If you look carefully, the Simpson toe is sleeker than the Rain toe.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rain is wider, and the last is roomier. Length appears the same to me. If you look carefully, the Simpson toe is sleeker than the Rain toe.

+1 Rain is wider--noticeably so. I also wonder, but did not think to examine this when I had both in my hands, if the Rain isn't more of a banana last than the Simpson. Rain is great for a wide forefoot. I went from owning no Carminas to owning four pair in a manner of two months because of the Rain last.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know that the Simpson toe is proportionally sleeker than the Rain, so much as the overall shoe is narrower, including the toe.

I agree the shoe is overall narrower, but, for me, the effect is really noticeable in the toe box. I have narrow heels and my foot is not a large volume foot. Generally I struggle with both wide shoes (like an F width 202 last from EG) or standard lasts like an "D" width Aberdeen from Alden. The Rain last works perfectly for me - wide in the toe box but without the carness feel of the 202.

Last edited:

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a TTS US9.5D (for my right foot at least; my left foot is more like a 9.25C). The Uetam last in UK8.5 is a pretty good fit for a loafer. No heel slippage.

Thanks! Just received the pair tonight and they're great. Very snug but I think they'll break in just fine.

easy_golfing

Reaction score
I don't know that the Simpson toe is proportionally sleeker than the Rain, so much as the overall shoe is narrower, including the toe.

I agree the shoe is overall narrower, but, for me, the effect is really noticeable in the toe box. I have narrow heels and my foot is not a large volume foot. Generally I struggle with both wide shoes (like an F width 202 last from EG) or standard lasts like an "D" width Aberdeen from Alden. The Rain last works perfectly for me - wide in the toe box but without the carness feel of the 202.

Really?? So Rain last would be good for me (I also have narrow heels)?

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on the Forest last:

I'm a 9.5D US Barrie and in the Uetem a very snug 8.5 UK, so I guess the question is do I keep the same 8.5 UK in the Forest or size up .5 to 9 UK?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

NMW1982

Reaction score
Does anyone have any familiarity with the Carmina Detroit last?

How does it compare in width and length to the standard Rain last?

Thanks.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any familiarity with the Carmina Detroit last?

How does it compare in width and length to the standard Rain last?

I would love to see thi question answered as well. ????

Thanks.

NMW1982

Reaction score
Definitely go up to a 9UK. IMO, the Barrie last is already almost UK sizing.

Looking for some advice on the Forest last:

I'm a 9.5D US Barrie and in the Uetem a very snug 8.5 UK, so I guess the question is do I keep the same 8.5 UK in the Forest or size up .5 to 9 UK?

Thanks in advance!

saepnirg12

Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate some help with sizing:

C&J 341: 8.5UK
C&J 348: extremely snug 8.5UK. Would probably do well with an 8.5 wide or 9.
Loake Capital: 8.5UK
Meermin Hiro: 8.5UK

What size would I be in the Rain and Simpson lasts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads