• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image.jpg

image.jpg
"Peach Cobbler Coat"
pie crust=camel wool
peach filling=orange puffer sleeves
whipped cream=detachable shearling collar

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any recommended brands for fabric spraypaint? i.e. goes on easy, evenly. Not concerned with longevity.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Neither official nor awesome, but I picked up this Gant Rugger suede shirt a while ago and decided to mess around with it.

201711221628155_fv_pimcore_310000_flat.jpg

First I took some very fine sandpaper and gently brushed it over the snaps to dull them down and give them more of a satin finish (I started out using a Brillo pad, but it didn't have any effect).

Next, I applied Otter Wax over the whole surface. This was considerably more difficult than I expected. I think waxing a relatively burly canvas is probably going to be a lot more straightforward than waxing a relatively soft split suede (in this case, goat). The nap is fairly fine, but the wax bar still catches instead of running smoothly over the surface. It doesn't help that it's a softer, thinner skin, so it tends to bunch up.

I tried melting the wax in using a cheap, old hairdryer that was lying around the house with pretty much zero success; the hairdryer never got hot enough to melt the wax. I ended up getting a heat gun on Amazon, which worked much, much better.

Here's a view of the sleeve, first with the wax applied and then with it melted in:

IMG_20180225_111111422 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_20180225_111437662 (768x1024).jpg

My first thought after finishing the initial waxing was 'geez, this seems like a lot of wax'. My first thought after going over it with the heat gun was 'needz moar wax!' It's definitely a change in visual texture (long with some added stiffness), but it's not as dramatic as I expected. If / when I wax it again, I'll probably start with a bigger bar and either a) wave the heat gun over the bar as I use it so it goes on melty-er or b) try melting the wax entirely with the heat gun (maybe in a ramekin?) and then brushing it onto the surface. Either way, I'll likely wax the shirt in sections and use the heat gun to melt the wax into each sections as I go.

Other important learnings:

- Heat guns get pretty hot. I don't think the one I bought got as hot as advertised (I had it cranked up pretty far after a while and nothing was spontaneously combusting). Regardless, starting low and slowly dialing up the heat is advisable.

- If you're waxing something that has hardware, you're going to have to clean the hardware off (or at least clean around it) with a soft cloth, which will be easiest (and most dangerous) when the wax - and therefore also the metal - are still hot. Gotta be careful around hot liquid wax and hot metal.

- Dust isn't as much of a problem as I expected. I tried to brush off the surface before I started, but the fan on the heat gun basically blew any dust from the surface while the wax melted in. The waxed jacket - which isn't sticky or anything - is still kind of a dust magnet.

- I don't know if there's a maximum amount of wax that a given piece of suede can handle, but generally speaking the areas with more wax look better (as do the areas around the seams).

Fit pic:

IMG_20180228_114615160_HDR_3 (740x1024).jpg

NGOStudio

Reaction score
258z66x.jpg

Hi guys! I've been doodling around an idea for a short sleeve popover shirt with a decorative placket in a shape of a phallus, sort of like a man's version of a décolleté. The length of the phallus placket can be customized depending on your liking or needs. I'm also thinking of doing a contrasting fabric for the shirt body ( yellow oxford cloth) and the phallus placket ( pink poplin). Pardon my drawing since I haven't sketch for ages.
Reminds me of Walter Van Beirendonck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads