• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No loafer socks required.. slipper’s leather soles go anywhere in total comfort.
F2ACB41F-2DFF-45F0-AF2D-8906EE56A1F3.jpeg
BF3ACFBD-6BB3-44AD-B1CA-A1A47F35C0FD.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get out more. Had no idea SF weather was this interesting. This sounds really cool.
Late to the convo, but driving Muir Woods is a beautiful and a fun drive depending on the car. You’ll be right up there w the nice misty fog.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys - I love this site, I really do. But man, while I acknowledge that I'm an old fart, as someone who career has required that they morph into an IT-ish role, I am fairly technical. But for the life of me I can rarely get any value out of the search function on SF. Something as simply as finding the C&J thread is a nut I can't seem to crack.

My question for the shoe aficionado's is on a pair of C&J beaters I just grabbed on the Bay. When I took a run at them, my plan was to work them until my arm falls off, bring them back to life, and ship them to Aram for soles. But as I look at pic's, I think a recraft may be in order and I was simply trying to find information on C&J's process. Anyone here able to assist with the C&J recraft process. Obviously links are appreciated but not required.

Thanks Gents. Happy Friday!

oskrusa

Reaction score
Hi @Shawnc
Follow this link to the CJ thread

Cheers

Guys - I love this site, I really do. But man, while I acknowledge that I'm an old fart, as someone who career has required that they morph into an IT-ish role, I am fairly technical. But for the life of me I can rarely get any value out of the search function on SF. Something as simply as finding the C&J thread is a nut I can't seem to crack.

My question for the shoe aficionado's is on a pair of C&J beaters I just grabbed on the Bay. When I took a run at them, my plan was to work them until my arm falls off, bring them back to life, and ship them to Aram for soles. But as I look at pic's, I think a recraft may be in order and I was simply trying to find information on C&J's process. Anyone here able to assist with the C&J recraft process. Obviously links are appreciated but not required.

Thanks Gents. Happy Friday!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated @oskrusa, thanks!

Gang, someone was asking a while ago about whether feet sizes seem to expand over time. I'm not so sure that mine have, I think any fluctuation can likely be attributed to my weight. But one issue I have had for many years, that seems to have gotten a little worse is that the bone on the inner left foot protrudes further than the one on my right. I remember 40 years or so ago going to a podiatrist and them advising that the only fix would involve them breaking the bone. My love of basketball (and fortunately common sense) made that an easy call. But it does occasionally make sizing a bit of a challenge. I have a fix that works for me and I'm going to share it with the gang.

So yesterday I wore my Ravello splits and went out after work for a few drinks, which resulted in me having my shoes on for the better part of 15 hours. By the end, my feet we're fine but that bone was killing me. I actually unlaced my left shoe while driving home. So this morning, I started my routine which involves some shoe stretch solution, a shoe stretcher that looks like a shoe tree, and the passage of time. Below is a frame by frame report (spoilered so as to not muck up the thread)......

First up, a pic of my feet. The difference with the left bone is noticeable.......

20220325_Resize1.jpg

Tools of the trade.........

20220325_Resize2.jpg

The silver piece is removable and can be placed anywhere you see holes in the wood. Next is to insert the tree and push it forward as far as it will go........

20220325_Resize3.jpg
20220325_Resize3.jpg

The last step is to turn the metal screw which expands the area of the shoe where the metal attachment touches the leather.

20220325_Resize4.jpg

I'll leave that sit for a day or two and then give it a final twist or two and let sit for a few more days. I know if looks a little scary and it appears as though I am disfiguring the shoe. But once the tree is removed, it is hardly noticeable. I do this frequently, including a recent stretching of my Cigar splits. You have to look really closely to notice, but the modification was done on the left shoe. The relief this provides is indescribable.

20220325_Resize5.jpg

If I was younger I would likely have looked into doing what others have and overhaul my collection. But I like my collection, have too much invested in it and have some pieces that will likely never have the opportunity to reacquire. For me, this was the ultimate solution.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Much appreciated @oskrusa, thanks!

Gang, someone was asking a while ago about whether feet sizes seem to expand over time. I'm not so sure that mine have, I think any fluctuation can likely be attributed to my weight. But one issue I have had for many years, that seems to have gotten a little worse is that the bone on the inner left foot protrudes further than the one on my right. I remember 40 years or so ago going to a podiatrist and them advising that the only fix would involve them breaking the bone. My love of basketball (and fortunately common sense) made that an easy call. But it does occasionally make sizing a bit of a challenge. I have a fix that works for me and I'm going to share it with the gang.

So yesterday I wore my Ravello splits and went out after work for a few drinks, which resulted in me having my shoes on for the better part of 15 hours. By the end, my feet we're fine but that bone was killing me. I actually unlaced my left shoe while driving home. So this morning, I started my routine which involves some shoe stretch solution, a shoe stretcher that looks like a shoe tree, and the passage of time. Below is a frame by frame report (spoilered so as to not muck up the thread)......

First up, a pic of my feet. The difference with the left bone is noticeable.......

View attachment 1770800

Tools of the trade.........

View attachment 1770801

The silver piece is removable and can be placed anywhere you see holes in the wood. Next is to insert the tree and push it forward as far as it will go........

View attachment 1770802 View attachment 1770802

The last step is to turn the metal screw which expands the area of the shoe where the metal attachment touches the leather.

View attachment 1770803

I'll leave that sit for a day or two and then give it a final twist or two and let sit for a few more days. I know if looks a little scary and it appears as though I am disfiguring the shoe. But once the tree is removed, it is hardly noticeable. I do this frequently, including a recent stretching of my Cigar splits. You have to look really closely to notice, but the modification was done on the left shoe. The relief this provides is indescribable.

View attachment 1770805

If I was younger I would likely have looked into doing what others have and overhaul my collection. But I like my collection, have too much invested in it and have some pieces that will likely never have the opportunity to reacquire. For me, this was the ultimate solution.
I wear mine to get them warm and moist, then insert trees with a pen (writing) on the outside to make a bit of clearance for my pinkie toes on pairs that are snug. My whole leg up through my hip hurts if there's too much pressure on my feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads