• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Initially upon reading this I thought of setting a goal of getting down to 5 and 5 but that’s simply an unreasonable goal with no real thought behind it other than I end up with a round number. However I do think that at my stage in my career setting a goal of 15 pairs of high-end footwear seems both reasonable and appropriate. Over the next few weeks I’m going to take serious thought and plan on how to get there. One of the more interesting things will be to see how the final distribution between shoes and boots turns out to get to the 15. Not shooting for an even split. Initially I’ll just grab a combination of my favorites combined with what I wear the most and see how it lands.
I recently realized I should stop wasting my time on dress shoes and just go full tilt into boots. It makes the most sense considering the world we live in and likely will going forward. I'll likely keep what dress shoes I have, but there is zero reason to continue pursuing those as an interest.

User123456789

Reaction score
Would like to try Alden for the first time in 2022. Thinking unlined snuff suede LHS in the spring, and if I like them Indy's in the Fall.

Ideally Indy's would be 403C. But the Rusticalf commando Indy's seem more widely available right now. Any experience with how Rusticalf ages compared to CXL?

DapperDan08

Reaction score
My current 2022 plans are in existing pre-orders: 8 saddle, 8 NST, and a Loden tanker. Very excited for each, and might add a black shell boot. Looking forward to seeing what others are planning. Cheers and good health in ‘22.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for setting up the 2022 thread Mayor and for the January topic.
I’m expecting a couple of Aldens to arrive this year. I’m favoring barrie and TB lately, dressing more casually and passing on sleeker models. I hope to sell a few Aldens this year to make room for new additions. Alden is still my favorite footwear brand and I want to enjoy the pairs I have.

Faded Cigar CT
5C3A0393-20E0-42C7-9BDD-249989C98FC9.jpeg

5F39A935-4CE1-4B94-8763-E9B25F07F759.jpeg

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would like to try Alden for the first time in 2022. Thinking unlined snuff suede LHS in the spring, and if I like them Indy's in the Fall.

Ideally Indy's would be 403C. But the Rusticalf commando Indy's seem more widely available right now. Any experience with how Rusticalf ages compared to CXL?

I would see if Adam at Alden of Carmel has his brown CXL indy in stock in your size or TheShoeMart has one too. They are both really nice makeups.

GGMac

Reaction score
My current 2022 plans are in existing pre-orders: 8 saddle, 8 NST, and a Loden tanker. Very excited for each, and might add a black shell boot. Looking forward to seeing what others are planning. Cheers and good health in ‘22.

My first read of this post was you had 8 pre-orders for saddle makeups, 8 for NSTs…then the Loden tanker (NST) brought clarity!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I plan to buy a chamois boot of some kind. So far I'm thinking earth color chamois PTB but not opposed to a CTB. Assuming I can even find one that is.

I also plan to buy a natural CXL boot but I may just buy the Rancourt Byron boot instead as it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Well, I think the Chamois Boot is a great idea and should be totally doable. I would search around some for the perfect combination on this boot! Should be a fun hunt! In terms of Natty CXL, I would go Rancourt, as to my knowledge, Alden stopped carrying it a year or so back.

2021 was a big Alden year for me, the current plan for 2022 is much lighter. Though we all know how that goes! I have three open preorders, including the Ealdwine Sedona smooth chamois Indy, and my primary target other than those is a versatile snuff boot.

Couple weeks left on my Madison Workshop model below, and if that doesn't fund I will likely put a deposit down on the B&M snuff Plaza Indy. Happy New Year!
View attachment 1729687

Very cool to hear that you have a healthily growing family. That looks like a lovely Cap Toe boot and hope that you hit the required numbers! The B+M alternative is a pretty rad alternative though!

Initially upon reading this I thought of setting a goal of getting down to 5 and 5 but that’s simply an unreasonable goal with no real thought behind it other than I end up with a round number. However I do think that at my stage in my career setting a goal of 15 pairs of high-end footwear seems both reasonable and appropriate. Over the next few weeks I’m going to take serious thought and plan on how to get there. One of the more interesting things will be to see how the final distribution between shoes and boots turns out to get to the 15. Not shooting for an even split. Initially I’ll just grab a combination of my favorites combined with what I wear the most and see how it lands.

That is quite the ambitious target, but I totally get it! I wish you the best of luck with this and super curious to hear what your final family looks like!

I recently realized I should stop wasting my time on dress shoes and just go full tilt into boots. It makes the most sense considering the world we live in and likely will going forward. I'll likely keep what dress shoes I have, but there is zero reason to continue pursuing those as an interest.

Totally makes sense to me! Gotta go with what you are going to wear!

2022 ALDEN plans, pare down the closet and only add one or two pair. We will see how this goes :)

We will see indeed, but I wish you the best of luck on this endeavor!!!

The Unlined Snuff Suede LHS is just a great model and I truly love my pair. It was my first pair needing to be sent back for a new sole. Great loafer! I saw JSO provide some tips, but I would say go with what you want on the Indy. LeatherSoul has made their Ultimate Indy which is exactly what you are asking for as well!

Dan, those are two truly quintessential models and a great styling Boot! Those would be a great add! Black Shell is highly recommended and is under appreciated here! Good luck!!!

Will we see any cigar shell loafer options?

Excited for more leisure sole offerings - maybe tassel loafers

Hopefully!!! I would love to see more enjoy Cigar Loafers!!!

Thanks for setting up the 2022 thread Mayor and for the January topic.
I’m expecting a couple of Aldens to arrive this year. I’m favoring barrie and TB lately, dressing more casually and passing on sleeker models. I hope to sell a few Aldens this year to make room for new additions. Alden is still my favorite footwear brand and I want to enjoy the pairs I have.

Faded Cigar CT
View attachment 1729740
View attachment 1729739

DV, knowing you and your style, that makes total sense to me! Good luck with that refinement and dang those are some amazing boots right there!

-Mike

AJ1

Reaction score
I'll likely shy away from dress shoes as new work arrangements have shifted, and even when going into the office, it is much more casual. The plan is to keep the total shoe/boot count the same but wouldn't mind mixing things up a bit.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Rusticalf and CXL age similar, in my opinion. Can't go wrong with either, they are a bit different leathers, but CXL is a workhorse and just ages beautifully. My Rusticalfs don't have enough age on them to see if they age as well as CXL, but just my 2cents worth......get both.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first read of this post was you had 8 pre-orders for saddle makeups, 8 for NSTs…then the Loden tanker (NST) brought clarity!

Had the exact same initial interpretation.

Turns31

Reaction score
My plan is to keep my collection at 6 Alden, 6 Viberg, and 6 misc other brands (Rancourt, GS, Benzein, etc…) so I don’t have to build a bigger boot shelf for the 3rd time in 4 months. To some folks in here that’s a week’s worth of shoe changes and others that’s enough to last a lifetime. I’ve bought and sold more boots this year than I dare to admit but everything I currently have, I really like and wear. I’ll be at my Viberg max next week, 3 Aldens with 2 coming in the spring (405 calf jumpers from Ealdwine, Color 4 shell Indy’s). Really hoping the sixth and final spot is a ravello pct Barrie jumper or whiskey Indy.

But if Alden miraculously gets into the horsebutt game then all bets are off.

GGMac

Reaction score
Oh boy I can see that now—would be something else!
Hey, this is the Alden thread on SF, nothing is out of the realm of possibility! I was impressed by the focus and looking forward to the 8 “different“ makeups of each style! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members