• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryr

Reaction score
Captoe Ravello today

AMD500

Reaction score
I have been thinking about spotting Aldens in the wild. I live in LA, which is no small place and there are some pretty affluent areas. One can even have the occasional celebrity encounter such as Adam Sandler back when he had a career and Caitlyn Jenner back when she said she was a he. (Bruce shopped at the local Costco) Despite the number of feet I watch I have only had 1 single encounter of a guy on an airport shuttle to LAX wearing some sweet Alden tassel loafers. That is one pair in the past 1+ years. So have you encountered a pair of Aldens in the wild? If you have, I am betting they were Indy boots.
I see Aldens all the time in DC. My last boss had King BB tassels, and King longwings. I guess us swamp dwellers like our Shell.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look great Shawn. Such a classic model!

-Mike

Thanks Mike. Always appreciate the words.

Unseasonably warm January day in Pittsburgh allows me the opportunity to participate in whiskey Wednesday.....

AC1'S from AoC.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Shawnc fine looking pair of whiskeys! I will be a rare Baltimorean pulling for the Steelers this weekend! Enjoy those NST's today and many others to come...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have been thinking about spotting Aldens in the wild... So have you encountered a pair of Aldens in the wild? If you have, I am betting they were Indy boots.

There is a guy at my health club who I often see wearing a pair of whiskey shell LHS. They look like they are in pretty good shape, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were well over a decade old (maybe they are actually ravello that are very faded have a lot of patina) and those used to be the only Alden I would ever notice. Recently, the club hired a guy to come in a few mornings a week and shine shoes/boots while members are working out or swimming or whatever and I was walking past his table one day and saw quite a few different Alden models waiting to be shined or waiting to be picked back up. There were a handful of #8 shell items (LWB, full strap loafer, wing tip, chukka, IIRC) and a couple of calf items and then a pair of boots that looked like cigar or ravello. I was surprised who many different Aldens there were.

I always figure that Indy boots should be relatively common but I don't think I ever recall seeing a single pair in the wild. However, I see the Red Wing Heritage moc-toe and plaintoe boots absolutely everywhere.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few random people in NYC sporting Indies. My boss has about a half dozen Alden makeups in his rotation but I don't think any are shell. Also, the Alden Tassel moc and full strap (calf or shell) are extremely popular among lawyers. It's almost a requirement for a barister's wardrobe (mostly partners at big firms). I have yet to run into someone with a similar shell lineup. I have never come across someone else sporting shell boots.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It probably goes without saying that I see nothing but DSW glued crap here in the Poconos, unless it is someone from SF.
That goes for Alden and a dozen other makers. 
Rarely I might see an AE in the wild, but that's even a stretch.

David SW makes shoes?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my best friends has been bitten by the Alden bug because of me. He's keeping it tight to three pairs, but has some interesting makeups (a blue CXL/brass ptb on crepe, a blue CXL longwing and a brown cxl/brass shortwing, both on commando). He's stopped there though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads