• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question. I just have so many other Barrie lasted shoes & boots but only two on Trubalance, so part of it is a desire for diversity. They fit very well and I like the roomy interior toebox and outwardly bulbous toe (bulbous compared to Barrie). It's almost a munson/military looking last so when you pair the beefy commando sole, utilitarian old school last and color 8 shell, it hearkens back to the days when work boots were actually made of shell. They always reminded me of a boot that would have been worn at the turn of the last century.

A barrie/commando version would be equally as versatile but there is just an intangible appeal to the Trubalance version that always drew me to this model. When I saw the antique edge version, I was sold.
I like your historical point of view; something to be said for nostalgia for all things early twentieth century!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to my eyes this has to be the worst Alden combo:, formal style, casual leather,casual sole, what is this !!!

http://needsupply.com/mens/brands/alden/cary-st-whole-cut-balmoral.html

All it needs are some brass eyelets and antique edge!
rotflmao.gif

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
+1. The Alden people must have received the order for this shoe and felt like the barber who is asked to create a really awful hairstyle. They know better, but the "Customer is always right." Take that whole cut in a nice calf, 270 flat welt, single oak sole with black and a sleeker last and it suddenly transforms into a really formal shoe that makes sense. But for now, if it came in brown and you used a bar lace pattern, it would look like a football on the Barrie last.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So there are designs that get proposed by shops and Alden outright rejects them. (for many reasons)
That wholecut seems a whole lot less aesthetically pleasing than some of the designs that Alden rejects.
Funny if you ask me.
However, it is Need Supply's fault.
They wont likely sell them through, and they'll have to fire sale them in order to unload them.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I now that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to my eyes this has to be the worst Alden combo:, formal style, casual leather,casual sole, what is this !!!

http://needsupply.com/mens/brands/alden/cary-st-whole-cut-balmoral.html

I actually don't mind the choice of leather (though it wouldn't be my first) but the sole and welt definitely ruin that one.

I don't know. May I offer this as the worst Alden I've seen recently....
http://unionmadegoods.com/product/a...in-hunting-green-suede-with-dark-loden-d6516/

These are definitely awful. I remember seeing them when I was scrolling through their Alden offerings a couple of days ago and making this face to myself: :fu:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use woodlore epic trees? I'm trying to figure out the proper size for a 8.5 Barrie.

The size small seems to fill out the vamp but provides zero tension lengthwise. I was considering ordering a medium but am worried I may have to force it in more than I would like. Any 8.5ers out there with a size recommendation?

Personally, I think that is ideal. I don't want a lot of tension at the heel counter - the main goal for me is to fill the vamp and provide some structure. An 8.5 Barrie is a Brannock 9, and the only 9 on their sizing chart that gets a medium is an EEE width.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey gents, haven't been a frequent poster on this thread but I hopefully will be soon. After two misfires, I think I've finally nailed down my sizing for my pontoons (turns out I'm a 9EEE on the Barrie. Excited to be on the maiden voyage of these natty CXL PTBs from @steveyoo1983 , who provided great service in ordering my size.

Now onto the sad task of listing my 9.5Es (natty CXL Indy shoe) and 9EEs (Innsbrook Indy). Really wish I could get either of those in my true size. Sigh.

Many thanks!
Enjoy them in great health :)

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy do I love Alden Shell. Late arriving bus had me rushing more (and paying attention less) than I usually do. As a result, stepped in a pretty good puddle of water this AM. The result was pretty bad so I took the opportunity to do a little more than my normal wipe and brush. Added a little Alden paste. Still took less than 10 minutes and they came out fine.

Given the recent discussion on acquiring rare shell, I will reshare my story on how I got these. Called AoM to tell them I was no longer interested in a certain model. While on the phone I off handedly asked if they had any of the cigar wingtips everyone was posting on, knowing that there was zero chance of success. I will never forget the response.....'you may have just hit the lottery'. Moral to the story, when hunting rare shell's, emails are nice but nothing beats calling and speaking pleasantly and with respect to the staff.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First rolls on these gunboats from the bureau Belfast. As I said before, great place to do business with.

katch

Reaction score

I actually don't mind the choice of leather (though it wouldn't be my first) but the sole and welt definitely ruin that one.
These are definitely awful. I remember seeing them when I was scrolling through their Alden offerings a couple of days ago and making this face to myself: :fu:

Yet they refuse color 8 and brass eyelets. weird.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for these today. Had my cobbler take the antique edge and welt to black. Plaza and Wingtip could be my favorite combo.

#8 Plaza Wingtip Boots x J Gilbert
6G1LKBw.jpg

jJCrN75.jpg
I was contemplating which makeup id most like to see from someone right now and Yenni's color 8 wtb on commando ticked all the boxes except for the dark edge. This just reminded me how much easier it is to go from light to dark. I liked this post so much I emailed Yenni about her upcoming order. Cant tell my partner since im supposed to be buying a new couch this weekend. How can I pass up plaza lasted wt boots!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads