• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy the unlined suede chukka on Leydon, but I've seen comments that they fit a little tight. Is it the norm to go up a width, or will they stretch a bit with wear?

I'm 11.5 C/D on Brannock, 11 C in my Indy, 11 D in CXL dover on Barrie, and 11.5 D Allen Edmonds 65 last. Deciding between 11.5 D and E in these chukkas.

Please let me know if you have a suggestion.

11.5E would be my vote

Last edited:

zennypoo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Our recent group order with the color 8 plaza NST monkstrap went very well and was submitted a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to gauge the interest on a (old) new idea for the next group order.

The unlined suede chukka is one of the quintessential Alden shoes, unfortunately as many of us know or have experienced, the Leydon last is quite narrow and hard to fit. Personally I'm unable to be fitted in the Leydon due to lack of EE lasts. I'd like to propose the following design, this has been done before by Leathersoul in a lined version. I think the plaza last would be excellent as a chukka and will be comparable, if not better than, the Leydon last.

We'd need 12 people to commit and this order will go through. Here are the details and a photo of lined plaza suede chukka from Leathersoul.

Material: Snuff suede
Last: Plaza
Lining: Unlined
Welt: Flat, 270 degree with closed heel
Edge: Natural
Sole: Waterlok

Please PM if you are interested!

Dan

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing my #8 LWBs by Bureau Belfast today. Decided that I really didn't love how dark black they were (and had stayed for 9 months of wear) so I put them in a window of direct sunlight for a week or so. As you can see, even the new #8 level of darkness fades quite a bit in sunlight. I think these look just sooo much better (even if the inconsistent coloring isn't everyone's favorite).

aldengeek

Reaction score
Thought these were worth a post! I was debating picking them up off the Bay (auction link) a while ago for restoration, however, after Alden carefully reviewed the photos (not taken by me, btw), they determined that the shoes wouldn't hold up to the process. They have since sold. Anyway, a great example of some signature Alden shell cordovans from the 1950s, when, "[...]Morris Bootmakers were carrying over 20 variations in color and leather." (Quote source: Alden of San Diego)

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wearing my #8 LWBs by Bureau Belfast today. Decided that I really didn't love how dark black they were (and had stayed for 9 months of wear) so I put them in a window of direct sunlight for a week or so. As you can see, even the new #8 level of darkness fades quite a bit in sunlight. I think these look just sooo much better (even if the inconsistent coloring isn't everyone's favorite).

This is a word of advice to those who choose lighten their #8 in sunlight and not a comment on @wdahab 's LWB seen above. I recently did the same to some #8 PTB I have and I simply placed them in the sun for the day on about 5 different sunny days. I achieved the desired effect, making sure to rotate the shoes 180 degrees midway through the day to allow both sides of the shoes to receive sunlight. I later noticed that the tongue remained darker because the laces were left in and the eyelet flaps provided shade to the tongue. If I were to do it again, I would remove the laces and pull the tongue out to receive full light. They are ok as they are because the tongue is not terribly visible to people. The darker tongue does show how powerful the sun can be. I would advise people to lighten one day and then live with it for a week or so to really judge the effect and how you like it. If needed, you can do a second day and so forth.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiskey Wednesday
c2f1ee9d528e819040b249acc1d5b298.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coloradojeff

Reaction score
Don't know if this will help but I just bought a pair of the Unlined Chukkas at Alden in NYC. They measured my feet and gave me several options. I normally wear a 9.5 D in almost everything.

I ended up getting a 9.0 E as the Leydon last is a little narrower but also runs a bit long. I bought a pair of George Boots at the same time and the 9.5 D fit perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics