• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Inspired to take a quick photo of AF12 (Whiskey). This was the 12th make-up shoe of the Alden Fan make-up series begun at Alden of Carmel in 1996. This particular shoe was made in early 2001, and has been worn only once, at my wedding, La Jolla, CA, summer 2003.
What are you waiting for? If they fit well, start wearing them often. Life moves pretty fast....

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Next up for some TLC, my trusty #8 LWB with many many miles on them. The variations in the hide are beginning to show as the color mellows and lightens.

Your trusty LWBs are looking great, the variations are indeed a good thing and are starting to come out in those LWBs.

It's been too long since the last cleaning. I spent significant time working the creases and addressing nicks and scrapes. Some "scars" remain, but I love them all the more for it.

@thams for a beat up boot, those Cigar CT Boots still look mighty fine. I am glad that you are putting them through the drills and that they are keeping up with you.

#4 captoe boots.

There is a boot that I personally would not run through the ranks personally. Those look great Zippy. Hope that you enjoyed them today!

Ravello LWB

Henry, those Ravello LWBs are continually looking better. Hope that you enjoyed them!

Over the the years, I have purchased a few pair of shell boots with every intention of treating them as boots. Let me be clear - I did not set out to abuse any of these unfairly, but rather I intended to be as bold around water, dirt, mud, and scuff-worthy situations as I would with any other pair of boots (like my 405 Indys). But every time I intended to act with such swagger, I would get cold feet and feel cowardice. Chance of rain? Nope. Possible dirt? No. Dust particle? No no. Excessive sunlight? Shade please. Jumpy dogs? Um, uh uh. As a result, I have a few pairs of well worn but otherwise pristine shell boots.

Early in 2016 I received a pair of boots with an obvious flaw. The flaw did not affect appearance or functionality because it was mostly invisible to the untrained eye. The boots were otherwise perfect and had all the features I wanted in an every day boot for a casual, non-work setting. Dark Color 8, antique edge, all eyelets, Barrie last, commando soles. I decided that this would be my honest-to-god everyday (well, maybe every other as all Alden freaks know to be appropriate -- gotta let 'em rest in between wears with shoe trees of course!) pair of kickers.

Rain? Check. Water welts too, but I'm not sweating them. Creasing but no rush to grab a deer bone. The occasional scuff mark and abrasion. Dust, dirt, and even some muddy fields and yards have been traversed in these boots. Sure, I periodically brush and buff them. The occasional damp wipe down. And they get treed after every wear. But they are no more than boots. I don't think twice. They get worn. They take their lumps. And they get their well due compliments. In fact, they probably get more compliments than my Color 2 LWBs (no disrespect to Adam - I love those shoes) or proper old school Cigar Indys.

Are they anything unusual? No. But in many ways their reliability, relative anonymity within the Alden crowd, and fact that they have become my trusty sidekicks all make them very special to me.

I am glad that you are enjoying those boots soo much bud. Good to see a backstory to them and that you are more willing to take them out!

king ct boot
argyles otc

Mac, your King CT Boots are looking good and classy and have a great shine on them! Hope that they took good care of you today!

Thanks Mike. In person, they look more alike, and I'm sure will continue to do so as they age. Will probably sell one of these... Votes?

From this picture, you are not selling me on the fact that they are close enough. Personally, I would keep them both. If I were to sell one though, I probably would sell the Ravello as I think the Whiskey more captures the spirit of the lighter colored penny loafer. However, darker tones do tend to be more universally usable, like tan suede and snuff suede... :)

-Mike

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick snap of the Cigar LWBs at the coffee shop today:

AMD500

Reaction score

Preach, brother. Preach!

We are the choir!

My beaters. Cigar captoes. Then again, I don't think twice about wearing any or my shell shoes in any conditions. That's the beauty of shell. You just brush the sh*t out of it and it looks new again. Wear your shoes gentlemen!

TommyB

Reaction score

It's been too long since the last cleaning. I spent significant time working the creases and addressing nicks and scrapes. Some "scars" remain, but I love them all the more for it.
Love these. And the #4 CTs, but that's a given.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on copping some used shoes: if I send a well used pair to alden for a resole, will they retain the foot indent from the previous owner, or would it be like breaking in a new pair?

A little of both, so somewhere in the middle. They don't replace the insole itself, but they do replace the cork underneath. You can also request new heel pads.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mac, your King CT Boots are looking good and classy and have a great shine on them! Hope that they took good care of you today!

-Mike

nephew,
thank you

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Leisure Sunday. Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan LHS. Marcoliani Brown Argyles OTC. Epualet Caramel Duck Canvas Rivet Chinos.
-Mike
nephew, good looking combo. good shine on your cigar lhs

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ravello ct boot
argyles otc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads