• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaRKle

Reaction score
How do you care for the Chromexcel natural? Clear cream polish?

IME it doesn't really need much care. I usually just brush mine. If I decide it looks a slight bit dry (rarely happens), Bick 4 and VSC both work well.

FaRKle

Reaction score
Decided to try my hand at giving my 975's an antique edge this weekend.

One of the things that bothers me when seeing pics of how others have done it in the past is that you lose the stacked sole/heel look that a factory antique edge has. The way I did the first shoe also resulted in that, so on the second shoe I tried using my soldering iron to create a darker layer, which ended up working very well (and also sealed the fibers to prevent moisture intrusion from what I understand). I re-did the first shoe the same way to create that look.

Another thing I learned is that there's pretty much 0 difference between AE's neutral and chili edge dressing. I was hoping chili would darken things a bit more, but it was imperceptible compared to neutral.

Overall, I'd say my first attempt came out so-so, but acceptable.

Reference pic:

Antiqued:

Last edited:

andiandi

Reaction score
Well done! I really like the way your heels Look! At First sight I think I couldnt distinguish wrgeter its Factory or handmade! Nice!

Skelnik

Reaction score

Decided to try my hand at giving my 975's an antique edge this weekend. One of the things that bothers me when seeing pics of how others have done it in the past is that you lose the stacked sole/heel look that a factory antique edge has. The way I did the first shoe also resulted in that, so on the second shoe I tried using my soldering iron to create a darker layer, which ended up working very well (and also sealed the fibers to prevent moisture intrusion from what I understand). I re-did the first shoe the same way to create that look. Another thing I learned is that there's pretty much 0 difference between AE's neutral and chili edge dressing. I was hoping chili would darken things a bit more, but it was imperceptible compared to neutral. Overall, I'd say my first attempt came out so-so, but acceptable. Reference pic: Antiqued: [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
That looks fantastic! Very nice!

Skelnik

Reaction score
I just got a pair of shell perf cap toe bluchers and the came with the Foot Balance heel. I haven't owned any of those yet and I am not familiar with them. They seem to feel fine but I can definitely tell that my heels sit a bit higher off the ground. I suspect the rubber heel will hold up a little longer than the traditional heel, but I am concerned these are designed for someone with foot or back issues.

Can anyone fill me in on their experience and thoughts about these types of heels? Any calf or back problems due to the higher heels, etc?

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
What's everyone's experience with ordering from J.Crew? I'm guessing their return policy is not as strict, which makes me wonder if there's a good chance of being sent shoes with obvious signs of try-on (creasing, etc).

FaRKle

Reaction score
What's everyone's experience with ordering from J.Crew? I'm guessing their return policy is not as strict, which makes me wonder if there's a good chance of being sent shoes with obvious signs of try-on (creasing, etc).

I used them to test fit shoes =P. One of the shoes in my order had clearly been tried on due to the creases. There were no issues returning the pairs to the store.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted Antique edges on my 975s for a while now, but was too lazy to do it myself. Asked my cobbler to do it when he replaced the worn heel toplifts last week. Very pleased with the result.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Couple flash shots bringing out the patina then natural dark room lighting because of sun screen to keep heat out of my media room for three months. AZ Scottsdale heat

Looking good and comfy there today Chippy! Hope that you had a good Saturday!

^ nice Tassel for SD day..

Looking for Snuff Suede Unlined LHS but.. with the light color welt stitching.. I know occasionally they do this makeup but I can't seem to locate it. 9D. Enjoy your weekend guys.. Golf .. Baseball.. Terrific viewing

Thanks buddy, I am not completely sure where you can find one with light welt stitching.

Now for something different. Alden appreciation long wing artwork.

Cool looking effect on those LWBs. They sort of look depressed or something... :)

Got 3 news friends. These all came in yesterday. Just a few staples to add to the collection.

Very nice additions to your collection @Skelnik ! Hope that you enjoy them in good health.

Decided to try my hand at giving my 975's an antique edge this weekend.

One of the things that bothers me when seeing pics of how others have done it in the past is that you lose the stacked sole/heel look that a factory antique edge has. The way I did the first shoe also resulted in that, so on the second shoe I tried using my soldering iron to create a darker layer, which ended up working very well (and also sealed the fibers to prevent moisture intrusion from what I understand). I re-did the first shoe the same way to create that look.

Another thing I learned is that there's pretty much 0 difference between AE's neutral and chili edge dressing. I was hoping chili would darken things a bit more, but it was imperceptible compared to neutral.

Overall, I'd say my first attempt came out so-so, but acceptable.

Reference pic:

Antiqued:

Congrats on antique-ing your LWBs. I hope that you enjoy them and that they take good care of you! Good news is, if you decide to go back to black edges, its a lot easier! ;-)

I just got a pair of shell perf cap toe bluchers and the came with the Foot Balance heel. I haven't owned any of those yet and I am not familiar with them. They seem to feel fine but I can definitely tell that my heels sit a bit higher off the ground. I suspect the rubber heel will hold up a little longer than the traditional heel, but I am concerned these are designed for someone with foot or back issues.

Can anyone fill me in on their experience and thoughts about these types of heels? Any calf or back problems due to the higher heels, etc?

The Foot Balance heel is typically a Thomas Heel, meaning that it has a slight "S" shape to it, providing a little bit more support on the inner arch of your foot. It is supposed to provide a little more support and make them more comfortable to wear over longer periods of time. I do not have many pairs with that sole, in fact, I think just my Navy Reverse Chamois Indy Boots have that heel. It should be just fine for you, however, I did not notice my heel stack being particularly extra tall. My Snuff LHSes just got a new heel stack on them, because I wore through the old one, it was a little weird the first time that I wore them, as they were a little "out of balance" due to the heel being fresh and full, but the main sole being old and worn down, but I quickly got used to them and didn't notice it after a few minutes... It didn't give me back problems...

Wanted Antique edges on my 975s for a while now, but was too lazy to do it myself. Asked my cobbler to do it when he replaced the worn heel toplifts last week. Very pleased with the result.

Very nice Wes, those look good as well and the upper has a nice patina forming on them...

-Mike

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Oh Mikey those are such a nice non brown Ravello, almost half way to Whiskey. Very nice makeup Sir!

Last edited:

bustert

Reaction score
[/IMG][/IMG]

8 plain toe blucher on modified from Shoemart irregular list. My 1st time trying on modified last. I went with my Barrie size 11D. Certainly is more supportive than Barrie at the arch and snugger in the heel. Overall a good fit. they are much sleeker than thought for modified.

I also bought the modified black shell perf cap toe in 11C, not delivered yet. They'll probably be too tight but I'll give them a try. I'm really liking this last!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads