• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelpqq

Reaction score

[COLOR=222222]Hi gentlemen, [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]I'm planning for my next Alden purchase and hope to seek your advice.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]I'm looking for a LWB/Wingtip boot in tan calf and considering these three options:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]1. [COLOR=000000]Tan Calfskin Wing Tip Boot from Brick+Mortar[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000]2. Waxed LWB (18582) [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]from J.Crew [/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]3. LWB in burnished calf tan (979) from Lost & Found[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000]My first question is: what's the difference between the "waxed" calf of the 18582 and the "burnished calf" of the 979?  It really puzzles me that the 18582 shows a darker shade in the photos on J.Crew's website, but looks virtually the same as the 979 in other photos I found on Google......[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000]The second question (a few sub-questions actually) is about sizing. I tried on a J.Crew PCT boot in 8D, which seemed to fit me well and not snug at all; and an unlined dover (with storm welt) in shell in 7.5D, which was a little bit snug but seemed to wrap my feet perfectly, I assume it would be my ideal fit after breaking in. However, when it comes to a lined calf shoe/boot, I'm not sure if my ideal size would still be the same. So I wonder, given the same last and size, is there a difference between: [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000](a) lined and unlined; [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000](b) calf and shell; [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000](c) shoe and boot; and [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000](d) storm welt and flat welt? [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000]I apologize for asking so many questions, but I'm really curious to know whether there is any general consensus on these issues. Thanks a lot![/COLOR][/COLOR]

I happened to have the J Crew Waxed LWBs for a while, IMO, they were dark at first but really lightens up towards to yellow side which was too casual for me. I would go for the 979s because the color is slightly richer or the wingtip boot.

I found my J Crew PCT fit more towards TTS, I wear 9D in PCT and 8.5D in the calf LWBs

xiaopigu

Reaction score

Yes I agree with Thromb that the barrie is a versatile last that could work for both high and low insteps.
My comments were geared more toward the Grant last having more volume in the instep than the Barrie
in my experience.  You may want to try a 4060 which is a grant last boot.  I've tried and failed with 5 pairs 
on the Grant last until I accepted that it just has to much volume in the instep for my duck feet.

You will also get some size variation between shell and calf with shell generally running larger.  You may want 
to try a grant boot from the Shoemart as they have an easy return policy.

Thanks a bunch!! :)

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leffot Tankers and EP plum

hkp2k

Reaction score
Hi gentlemen,

I'm planning for my next Alden purchase and hope to seek your advice.

I'm looking for a LWB/Wingtip boot in tan calf and considering these three options:
1. Tan Calfskin Wing Tip Boot from Brick+Mortar

2. Waxed LWB (18582) from J.Crew
3. LWB in burnished calf tan (979) from Lost & Found

My first question is: what's the difference between the "waxed" calf of the 18582 and the "burnished calf" of the 979? It really puzzles me that the 18582 shows a darker shade in the photos on J.Crew's website, but looks virtually the same as the 979 in other photos I found on Google......

The second question (a few sub-questions actually) is about sizing. I tried on a J.Crew PCT boot in 8D, which seemed to fit me well and not snug at all; and an unlined dover (with storm welt) in shell in 7.5D, which was a little bit snug but seemed to wrap my feet perfectly, I assume it would be my ideal fit after breaking in. However, when it comes to a lined calf shoe/boot, I'm not sure if my ideal size would still be the same. So I wonder, given the same last and size, is there a difference between:

(a) lined and unlined;

(b) calf and shell;
(c) shoe and boot; and
(d) storm welt and flat welt?

I apologize for asking so many questions, but I'm really curious to know whether there is any general consensus on these issues. Thanks a lot!

I recently purchased the 979's and initially had the same question about the difference between the "waxed" and the "burnished tan" and I am not sure that there is any difference at all. If you look at the other Alden offerings from J.Crew, they have other shoes listed as the color "tobacco" (same as the "waxed" longwings) that are also listed as "burnished tan" in the description. For what it is worth, I love the burnished tan longwings and would recommend you buy from the Shoe Mart as they have excellent customer service. My size was out of stock, but came in a few days directly from Alden.

zennypoo

Reaction score

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a pair of #8 alden cordovan straight tip boots in the barrie last from Alden of SF. I'm a 7E on the brannock with a high arch and instep.

Firstly, if the Barrie last good for people with a high instep?

Secondly, I've seen most recommendations to be half a size down so 6.5E, but there was this guy on askandyaboutclothes that recommended TTS and one width down, so 7D for me. He said that this would reduce heel slip but I'm not 100% sure.

Thirdly, is the grant last suitable for a person with a high instep?

Thanks,

X

Here are my two cents about sizing.

On the bannock I'm also barely a 7 and barely an E width, I have the typical features of Asian feet: high arch with a wide forefoot. I wear 7E in most Alden sizes, in Aberdeen and Plaza boots, 7EE is more comfortable. As other members mentioned already, the Barrie is a pretty forgiving last, you can fit most feet shape with some fine tuning in the thickness of socks to wear.

A few observations I've made in finding my correct size:

1.) Nothing beats trying a pair on in the a store, if that is not possible, find a place with a good return policy (TSM) and be mindful when trying the shoes on

2.) I find sizing via heel to ball measurement to be more accurate for high insteps, especially if you have short and wide toes

3.) Shell tend to fit slightly bigger than non-shell, but they won't stretch

4.) I go up a width for boots in narrow lasts (plaza, aberdeen, etc)

Hope that helps!

xiaopigu

Reaction score

Here are my two cents about sizing.

On the bannock I'm also barely a 7 and barely an E width, I have the typical features of Asian feet: high arch with a wide forefoot. I wear 7E in most Alden sizes, in Aberdeen and Plaza boots, 7EE is more comfortable. As other members mentioned already, the Barrie is a pretty forgiving last, you can fit most feet shape with some fine tuning in the thickness of socks to wear.

A few observations I've made in finding my correct size:

1.) Nothing beats trying a pair on in the a store, if that is not possible, find a place with a good return policy (TSM) and be mindful when trying the shoes on

2.) I find sizing via heel to ball measurement to be more accurate for high insteps, especially if you have short and wide toes

3.) Shell tend to fit slightly bigger than non-shell, but they won't stretch

4.) I go up a width for boots in narrow lasts (plaza, aberdeen, etc)

Hope that helps!

Thanks! Haha, you're the guy on eBay that I made an offer for those boots :D Is the 7E grant to narrow in the instep?

ltjaw

Reaction score
I am a fan of the Alden Plain Toe Boot, and I am curious to know how one would go about acquiring a pair in one of the uncommon shell cordovan colors (cigar, ravello, whiskey)?

Fawkes007

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a pair of #8 alden cordovan straight tip boots in the barrie last from Alden of SF. I'm a 7E on the brannock with a high arch and instep.

Firstly, if the Barrie last good for people with a high instep?

Secondly, I've seen most recommendations to be half a size down so 6.5E, but there was this guy on askandyaboutclothes that recommended TTS and one width down, so 7D for me. He said that this would reduce heel slip but I'm not 100% sure.

Thirdly, is the grant last suitable for a person with a high instep?

Thanks,

X

- I have several pair in the Barrie last and wear a 9.5B - they fit me beautifully.
- In the Hampton, Aberdeen and Copley lasts I am a 10B.
- I wear dress socks with all 4 lasts.
- In your case I would start with a 6.5E in the Barrie last if you are usually a 7E in dress shoes.
- I wouldn't size down in the width - get the length right as the widths seem consistent across their lasts.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of the Alden Plain Toe Boot, and I am curious to know how one would go about acquiring a pair in one of the uncommon shell cordovan colors (cigar, ravello, whiskey)?
anatomica of paris has offered cigar and ravello plain toe boots. might want to email them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads