• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score
I've applied VSC to my 403s after a year of hard use including subway rides to the office and desert hikes in Arizona. Well, the VSC did its job and then some! The boots are now way too shiny and all the hard worked scuffs have come out.

In my future Indys (not incl cordovan/suede), I will stick to damp cloth / brush.

How much did you apply?
I used some on my 403's and they did clean them up nicely but there was barely a shine. In fact I need to give them another brushing this weekend and if that doesn't do the trick I might apply some VSC again.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing with CXL is to avoid products with too much wax in them. Nick Horween has said a few things over the years - I've heard everything from VSC to neetsfoot oil - but I think the most appropriate product, which i have personally used, is Saphir Greasy which was designed especially for chromexcel, and doesn't contain waxes like Reno does. I've used Saphir Greasy + a lot of brushing and my CXL Indys always look great…and you don't need to use much and maybe just a couple of times a year. Just brush regularly and store with shoe trees. You can get it at Kirby's Hanger Project.

Unspoilered because your 403s look great. How old are they?

I understand Saphir greasy is the safest bet, but I don't want to buy a product for only one pair of CXL shoes. I have seen recs for VSC everywhere, which is a solid conditioner for regular calf shoes as well. I have searched extensively on this topic and there is no real consensus.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
Unspoilered because your 403s look great. How old are they?

I understand Saphir greasy is the safest bet, but I don't want to buy a product for only one pair of CXL shoes. I have seen recs for VSC everywhere, which is a solid conditioner for regular calf shoes as well. I have searched extensively on this topic and there is no real consensus.
I got them last Spring. Well, even Nick Horween talks about VSC a lot, so you're probably fine. I've just never used it myself, but many do…post some pics down the line. : )

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish we could help.
We do not have any record of these boots.

Regards,
Alden Shoe Co

That was the official response from Alden when I sent the pics below and asked if they could Identify the vintage, model and last of the Indy boots below. They have the old style ALDEN heel pad and I am assuming that although the shoes are NOS the soles might be recent or not original. Internal numbers are 1-300-1 with a person's name stenciled in. I assumed they were a custom make from 1960's. or 70's.

It would be great if any of you could shed some light on them. Thank you for your attention.

A10ACN

Reaction score
Wish we could help.
We do not have any record of these boots.

Regards,
Alden Shoe Co

That was the official response from Alden when I sent the pics below and asked if they could Identify the vintage, model and last of the Indy boots below. They have the old style ALDEN heel pad and I am assuming that although the shoes are NOS the soles might be recent or not original. Internal numbers are 1-300-1 with a person's name stenciled in. I assumed they were a custom make from 1960's. or 70's.

It would be great if any of you could shed some light on them. Thank you for your attention.

They look like a Modified last for as tight waisted as they are. Agree, most likely added Vibrams but it appears that they are NOS, so previous owner knew he wanted Vibrams and had them fitted by someone who knew what they were doing. I wouldn't be completely surprised if Alden had said that they added the Vibrams, just by quality of work and originality of the boot.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First pair of Aldens. I just got them Friday and I love them. They are amazing. one question for you seasoned Alden owners. How long is the break in on these and what can I expect?

Congrats! Those look like 403s, which are my first pair that I got a couple weeks ago. The TruBalance last and the NeoCork outsole require minimal break in. If you have some tightness around the toes, the CXL leather will likely soften up after a few wears.

Carson

Reaction score

First pair of Aldens. I just got them Friday and I love them. They are amazing. one question for you seasoned Alden owners. How long is the break in on these and what can I expect?
Yeah, great boots, and there really isn't any "break in" with a 403 in my experience. They should be pretty comfy right out of the box and soften up pretty quickly

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Hi all

I finally hunted one down on ebay (one month old and 8.5 which I was looking for ..).

Does anyone know where I can get these tan (not white) flat laces like these? Dosn't have to be Aldens either. Are these 48"?

TIA:

Carson

Reaction score
Hi all

I finally hunted one down on ebay (one month old and 8.5 which I was looking for ..).

Does anyone know where I can get these tan (not white) flat laces like these? Dosn't have to be Aldens either. Are these 48"?

TIA:
When I owned a pair of 404 Kudu's, I was looking for tan laces myself, and it was surprisingly hard to find anything like that. You might try searching this site for something similar:
https://www.therightlace.com/product/laces-for-wolverine-1000-mile-morley-boots-in-tan-suede

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Hi all

I don't yet have an answer for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone recommended TZ laces (http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Flat-Waxed-Shoe-Laces/dp/B007B8SKL0).

DON'T buy those. They're incredibly thick, don't look sleek, and get hung up on the eyelets.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Got my 403 from Ebay...$300 and one month old. Some minor scuffs on toe area but other than that, in excellent condition. I swapped the cheap laces immediately with my RW IR ones. Love the look and the comfort. My RW Iron rangers have been my 'go-to' boots all this while but now with the Indy's, I'll retire the IR to the closet for a while.

On the same note, I wear a 9 in all my boots so went with 8.5. Still have some slippage but once I put in extra soles, the fit is perfect.

ylku

Reaction score
Got my 403 from Ebay...$300 and one month old. Some minor scuffs on toe area but other than that, in excellent condition. I swapped the cheap laces immediately with my RW IR ones. Love the look and the comfort. My RW Iron rangers have been my 'go-to' boots all this while but now with the Indy's, I'll retire the IR to the closet for a while.

On the same note, I wear a 9 in all my boots so went with 8.5. Still have some slippage but once I put in extra soles, the fit is perfect.

Good price for this condition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads