• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

pezdoctor

Reaction score
First pair of Indy boots---Kumamoto/NeedSupply version (similar to the Alden Carmel version)---snuff w/ brass. Comfy out of box---wish I had purchased these years ago. I also covet the Tan Country Calf version (but can't find a 9 1/2D).
Alden Indy Boot snuff.JPG

robster35

Reaction score
Anyone here a D width who dropped to a C width for the Indy? More comfortable fit than the D width?

Vlad_Mpaler

Reaction score
Hello - I've been lurking for a bit, and thanks to you all, I've now got my first pair of Indy boots on the way! I decided to go with the 405 (Brown Calfskin) since I already have two other boots in Chromexcel (1000k color 8 and OSB black dainite). My question is: How does the Brown calfskin wear compared to CXL, and what is the recommended care routine? Any other thoughts for an Indy noobie?

Carson

Reaction score
Hello - I've been lurking for a bit, and thanks to you all, I've now got my first pair of Indy boots on the way! I decided to go with the 405 (Brown Calfskin) since I already have two other boots in Chromexcel (1000k color 8 and OSB black dainite). My question is: How does the Brown calfskin wear compared to CXL, and what is the recommended care routine? Any other thoughts for an Indy noobie?
If it's the new 405 with the Horween calfskin - I got mine at Alden San Francisco - then you could use Saphir Renovateur every once in a while with regular brushing, or - more rarely if needed - Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish in perhaps a medium brown or cognac as desired. With CXL, I just brush a lot and rarely use the Saphir greasy formula that's specifically made for CXL.

Vlad_Mpaler

Reaction score
Thanks @Carson. Yes, it's the Horween calfskin, and I too got them from the Alden Shop SF. I've got some Renovateur already, so I'll give that a shot. Jim from the Alden Shop said he had a cream polish that he's going to send out with the boots, curious to see what it is.

loanshark

Reaction score
edit: moved to Alden thread ..... I'll post some Indys tomorrow on casual Friday

Last edited:

rose city mike

Reaction score
This thread is driving me crazy. Looking for my first pair of Indys and there are so many great versions. CXL? Suede? Cordovan? Calf? Reverse chamois? Arrrrrrgh!!!

Methinks natty cxl will be the winner, but sheesh...that could change with the next post.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is driving me crazy. Looking for my first pair of Indys and there are so many great versions. CXL? Suede? Cordovan? Calf? Reverse chamois? Arrrrrrgh!!!

Methinks natty cxl will be the winner, but sheesh...that could change with the next post.
Natty CXL is very hard to beat.

Carson

Reaction score

At some point, I've pretty much owned most of them. Have let quite a few go on Ebay - some I regret letting go of. It really just depends on how you intend to wear them, perhaps your climate/where you live, and, of course, what appeals to you aesthetically.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have CXL and reverse chamois. Both are great and feature heavily in my rotation. I would be happy to add a pair of suede to the rotation. I prefer the CXL to the calf, so I feel like I'm covered there. I've never seen a pair of cordovan Indys that I would wear. The moc stitching on the cordovan versions is a huge turnoff for me.

If I were forced to pick just one, it would be a standard brown chromexcel.

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the natty cxl, but my favorites are these kudu ones from JCrew:

F6191_EF9624

Mine have aged wonderfully and are my most worn pair. Looks like a few sizes are available now...

Carson

Reaction score
I have the natty cxl, but my favorites are these kudu ones from JCrew:

F6191_EF9624

Mine have aged wonderfully and are my most worn pair. Looks like a few sizes are available now...
Those look so much better than the standard 404 kudu. Love those!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads